Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving a Train

• 06-01-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭

Hi

Not sure if this is the correct place to post. But here goes

I have recently been thinking of a career change. would like to get out of the 9-5 cycle (I work in IT, 3 years, experiance)

Always wanted to drive a train at some point in my life.
    Can you just apply to CIE/Irish Rail for a Job as a driver or do you have start off checking tickets at a train station?

I know in the US you can apply to be driver straight off the bat.

Anyone know the Answer?

Cheers
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

The only surefire way to drive a train in Ireland is to have family in the job. From what I've heard, mainly on boards, it's nigh on impossible to get into otherwise. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

grahambo wrote: »
    Hi

I have recently been thinking of a career change. would like to get out of the 9-5 cycle (I work in IT, 3 years, experiance)

Can you just apply to CIE/Irish Rail for a Job as a driver or do you have start off checking tickets at a train station?

Anyone know the Answer?

Cheers
    G.

Irish Rail only take on drivers internally and given how things are, you will be unlikely to get any openings with them anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Irish Rail only take on drivers internally and given how things are, you will be unlikely to get any openings with them anytime soon.

Forget that then :(

I didn't study 4 years in college to be collecting ticket stubs at Pearse Street station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I thought about doing the same myself a few years back but had the same problem. Now i content myself with driving the Enterprise on MS train simulator.:)

Forget that then :(

I didn't study 4 years in college to be collecting ticket stubs at Pearse Street station!

Nor did the guy in Pearse collecting the stubs;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Nor did the guy in Pearse collecting the stubs;)

Aye

Reading my last post.... I cam across as a bit snotty. I apologise for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

As mentioned you need to be in Irish rail to go for the driving mind you I know drivers who checked tickets for a couple of months only before going driving
    I myself worked on the tracks prior to going driving.
    The driving course takes a year approx 6 months in a class room and another 6 with an experienced driver.
    I would say it is prob very difficult to get in the door at the moment.
    As regarding the ticket checker in pearse he is getting well paid for his job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DRO_MAD

You could always apply to the Cavan & Leitrim Railway at Dromod - they take anybody and the less railway experience the better. Who knows before long you could be driving a locomotive ice cream van/plane/armoured personnel carrier before you know it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

UK Train Companies have more open recruitment policies - if you're willing to relocate that is. Or how about NIR up the North maybe?

UK Train Companies have more open recruitment policies - if you're willing to relocate that is. Or how about NIR up the North maybe?

NIR/Translink are doing their best to run what little they have left into the ground,opportunities would be few and far between methinks.

• Advertisement

Aye

Reading my last post.... I cam across as a bit snotty. I apologise for that.

Hey man, don't worry about it; I know it wasn't intended as such :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

lord lucan wrote: »
    NIR/Translink are doing their best to run what little they have left into the ground,opportunities would be few and far between methinks.

30 new trains supposedly on the way...

30 new trains supposedly on the way...

I thought they were just replacing the 450's on the Larne line?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Hi

Anyone know the Answer?

Cheers
    G.

If you have a uncle/cousin/father/brother employed by CIE and they can pull a few strings is the only way to get to be a driver within IE. Otherwise your better off banging my head off the wall as you will get nowhere :D

Its been like that since before it was CIE well before the 21st century.

DRO_MAD wrote: »
    You could always apply to the Cavan & Leitrim Railway at Dromod - they take anybody and the less railway experience the better. Who knows before long you could be driving a locomotive ice cream van/plane/armoured personnel carrier before you know it! :D

I drove the Lartigue Monorail in Listowel. :)

I'd love to become a mainline or DART driver but have more or less given up on it for the time being. Maybe if DART underground gets completed I might have a chance.

Advertisement