Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fender Deluxe Player Strat

• 06-01-2010 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience of these? Researching guitars as I'm upgrading, and this one looks about right for me. Noiseless pickups, and 7 pickup combinations. With a maple neck I imagine it'll sound pretty good. Anyone know anything about them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I have one of these, pretty good guitar, versatile sounds from it, lots of twang can be added with the button thingy that activates the bridge pickup. Mine has the rosewood neck, not maple.
    The vintage noiseless pickups are great, they get rid of most of the hum you'd associate with strats, but the neck pickup is kinda bright, and not very "neck pickup on a strat" like. Great funky bluesy sounds though.

The tuners are really annoying and difficult to get used to though, they have a crevice through them, instead of a hole. Weird explanation, but they look like this:
    DSC_2355.jpg

You can see the crevice where the string slots into the post, it took me a long time to put in new strings without them jumping out every time I wound them.

Beautiful guitar though, here's my baby:

448723989a9942661757l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

I played one of these last year for about 2 months, very comfortable neck, I didn't like the S1 switching system or the pick ups, I liked it enough but the extra cost compared to a standard wasn't worth it.Although the locking tuners where great, and it never went out of tune when I used the trem, but it would be mostly mild use of he trem anyway.

I would get a standard strat quicker, or perhaps one of the jap copies they sound more what I would consider stratish imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I think fresh cream your thinking of the Deluxe strat rather then the deluxe player strat. THe deluxe strat has locking tuners, 2 point trem, mild stel saddles and the S1 switch on the knob.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101202700

The deluxe player strat has vintage tuners, a vintage trem and an on off switch for the bridge pickup.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0133000327

The deluxe players strat is also half the price of the deluxe strat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Sofaspud wrote: »
    ....The tuners are really annoying and difficult to get used to though, they have a crevice through them, instead of a hole. You can see the crevice where the string slots into the post, it took me a long time to put in new strings without them jumping out every time I wound them.

I'm not 100% sure if you're kidding or not....
    But anyway, with vintage tuners you are supposed to cut the strings with a pliers and put the cut end down the hole in the tuner. They work great IMHO.
    From the fender setup guide:
    Vintage keys. For these, you'll want to pre-cut the strings to achieve the proper length and desired amount of winds. Pull the sixth string (tautly, remember) to the fourth key and cut it. Pull the fifth string to the third key and cut it. Pull the fourth string between the second and first keys and cut it. Pull the third string nearly to the top of the headcap and cut it. Pull the second string about a 1/2" (13 mm) past the headcap and cut it. Finally, pull the first string 1 1/2" (38 mm) past the top of the headcap and cut it. Insert into the center hole in the tuning key, bend and crimp to a 90-degree angle, and wind neatly in a downward pattern, being carefull to prevent overlapping of the strings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

But anyway, with vintage tuners you are supposed to cut the strings with a pliers and put the cut end down the hole in the tuner. They work great IMHO.

You've just saved me hours of my life!

I never heard of those tuners before I got this strat, I thought they were trying some new impractical form of tuners :D

Thanks, feel like an idiot now :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

+1, i find them great. Much prefer them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Sofaspud wrote: »
    Thanks, feel like an idiot now :p

Join the club, man ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

I think fresh cream your thinking of the Deluxe strat rather then the deluxe player strat. THe deluxe strat has locking tuners, 2 point trem, mild stel saddles and the S1 switch on the knob.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0101202700

The deluxe player strat has vintage tuners, a vintage trem and an on off switch for the bridge pickup.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0133000327

The deluxe players strat is also half the price of the deluxe strat.

oops your right 68 lost souls my bad. I'll get my coat:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

For the price of a new Deluxe Strat, you could get a mint Custom Shop Strat.

Advertisement