Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photos for the press? Who/How to contact?

• 06-01-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows how to get photos to the general newspapers.

Like if I took photos of the cops taking away a blood soaked man - it's a brief momentary shot, not to be repeated - how do I let the editor know I have such photos?

I'm looking for ways that have been done before, just for referance for the future and for others.

Many Thanks,
    SinisterDexter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A little dated 2008 but still may be relevant;

This post by our deceased friend of the forum Muineach in this thread may be helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Ring the newspaper and ask for the picture desk and email the pic to them. Send the photo in immediately. Not tomorrow, or the day after but the second the event happens and you have it captured.

If it's printed then ring the picture desk again and ask where to send the invoice and what the standard rates are.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Up-ing your post count?:p - how did you delete one of those double posts? Or was it that sneaky black cat?

Yes I am aware that it needs to be done there and then, which is why I went looking and found it hard to get the information and so anybody doing it in the future would be in the same situation.

Thanks Ballyman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭maddogcollins

Sorry to ressurect/steal a thread, but my question is somewhat related.

What consititutes a "large file high res jpg" image?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A large file high resolution jpg image could be a photo of 6.94 MB megabyte size whereas a resized photo could be only 46.6 KB
    The examples I use are a photo I have taken from a 12 megapixel camera.
    The large high res file straight from camera and the low res file was resized in resolution.
    I think thats 1 way of explaining it

• Advertisement

So the 1.53mb images (like the one attached) that come off my camera would not suffice as high enough res?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

O I think it would be high res ok. I was only using an example from my own photos.
    Look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_resolution
    and this might be better http://www.microscope-microscope.org/imaging/image-resolution.htm

Thats great, With all my being told wikipedia is not a source iv actually stopped looking at it, but both links clear it up for me.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Not all papers require high-res files. In fact, many like smaller files (file size around 1mb).

It will really depend on the paper, the size the image will be printed, and where it will be printed (magazine, daily paper, weekly paper, local paper, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

As Paul says it does depend on who you are talking to, High Res in Web, Newspaper and Magazines are very different things. For Newspaper use a file which is in the range of 5-15Mb (when open) compressed to about 1Mb (Usually saved at a Medium {5-7} setting) as a .jpg is good enough for virtually all uses. Saving the .jpg quality to high makes no apparent difference in print, but just gives a much bigger (slower) file to send.
    Ps The e-mail address for the Irish Examiner is: picturedesk@examiner.ie (Pictures must be fully captioned in FILE INFO in Photoshop), but they are also looking for pictures taken in the last week of Snow / Weather pictures for a weather pics supplement (no payment though!) later in the week. They want these images sent to: readerpics@examiner.ie - also with captions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Paddy (Valueinireland),

Why not call yourself what you are? It's rather confusing or is that meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

I'd never send anything higher than 3mb into a paper, usually about 1mb. sometimes i've been asked for it to be specifically 250dpi but rarely

Advertisement