Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting a bike?

• 06-01-2010 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

Okay so I would love to get a bike but I don't know if I should so I need some advice, keep in mind I know basically nothing about them presently. So I need a car most days so I was thinking of getting a bike not to replace the car. How much would I be looking to spend on a bike, insurance and gear etc? I'm only 19 so I'm guessing insurance will be crazy. Is it as bad as car insurance? I would love to get my hands on something like a Honda CBR 600/Fireblade, how much would this cost me? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

RD77 wrote: »
    I would love to get my hands on something like a Honda CBR 600/Fireblade, how much would this cost me? Thanks for any help.
    Okay, before you get the shock of your life, have a search for "factory restricted" bikes. These are your best chance of driving big bike :: insurance cost wise.

Other than that get a 125 or a scooter for a couple of years NCB, and put up with it like most other bikers had to.

If money is no object, a fireblade would only cost you a couple of grand to insure in my best guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

You haven't a chance of getting insured on a sports 600 TBH, even if it is factory restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I'm only 19
    I would love to get my hands on something like a Honda CBR 600/Fireblade, how much would this cost me? Thanks for any help.

No offence OP, but saying you want a CBR 600 or a Blade as a fisrt bike is like saying you want a Porsche or Ferrari as a first car.

Here are a few things to consider

Lessons: €350 to €500
    Gear: €500 to €1 000
    Insurance: €1 000 to €2 000
    Bike (Honda Super 4): €1 500 to € 2000

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I haven't a chance of getting insured on a sports 600 TBH, even if it is factory restricted.

FYP :D

Sorry - I could not resist. :D

P.C. wrote: »
    FYP :D
    Sorry - I could not resist. :D

Harsh PC, watch your back :D

• Advertisement

Harsh PC, watch your back :D

Seen as it only took you 3 minutes to spot that, I will watch my back -
    then again, you have to keep up fist. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Yeah sorry bud but your better off looking for an Nsr125. I dont know where your living so the insurance can be different.
    Dublin address =1000
    Waterford address = 350-400

He could get a sports 400 no problem I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

He could get a sports 400 no problem I'd say

I'd say he'll have trouble getting over the 125cc mark myself - though as seany says, will depend alot on his location

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fireblade, that's easy, between 2-4k for the bike. Between 2-10k for the insurance. About 1k for gear, although I would put decent stuff at about 1.5k in total(including locks, boots etc)

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    I'd say he'll have trouble getting over the 125cc mark myself - though as seany says, will depend alot on his location

I'm able to get insured on any of the 400cc sports bike and I'm in my first year of having a bike, same quote as the CB400 too.

I'm able to get insured on any of the 400cc sports bike and I'm in my first year of having a bike, same quote as the CB400 too.

Age and location? Job? Do you commute with it and have you declared it? They all make a huge difference to quotes.

unless theres been a major shakeup, I'd say you're the exception rather then the rule..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Some great advice in Stickies OP

Age and location? Job? Do you commute with it and have you declared it? They all make a huge difference to quotes.

22, Kildare, IT and yeah declared proper mileage and all no problems getting a quote.

22, Kildare, IT and yeah declared proper mileage and all no problems getting a quote.

Well there is a big difference between Kildare and Dublin, 22 and 19 in getting a insurance quote. Believe me, when I rang around the first time I would swap my details to see what the change was.

Well there is a big difference between Kildare and Dublin, 22 and 19 in getting a insurance quote. Believe me, when I rang around the first time I would swap my details to see what the change was.

I though 18-25 was all one bracket?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭steve22

as far as i see its more like 17-21 and 22-25.... but companies differ alot. He'd be better off trying for a quote on a 400 sports bike and seeing how far he gets... id be very surprised if he even got a quote.... but you never know!!
    the first step is obviously the theory test - when he gets his licence it would be time to start looking at bikes and checking options then.

The statistics the underwriters use is on two year gaps from what I have seen, eg: 16-18, 19-20, 21-22. Then there is the usual stupid young male markup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The statistics the underwriters use is on two year gaps from what I have seen, eg: 16-18, 19-20, 21-22. Then there is the usual stupid young male markup.
    yeah I remember the insurance company saying my insurance would go down when I was 23, Im 26 now and love paying shag all for insurance he he.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

hi i was 19 when i got my bike too i got a Honda CBR 125R so a sporty looking bike but wasnt that fast.....well compared to bigger bike :D

so if your out for the whole i want to go fast stuff i get 120km/h out of it on a calm day but sure the roads yall be driving on wit ur permit will be at most 100km/h

anywho i got the bike with only 4000km and was super clean still have quys asking me wow how can that bike be a 04 it nearly looks brand new anywho it cost me 1900e

insurance i got it through quinn direct as they were the only company who would insure me so i got 2rd party fire n theft and that is costing me 1200 annually

emmm didnt take lessons as my dad is crazy into bikes so he gave me lessons

n as with gear your looking at about 300euro plus depending on were ya get them etc...at the moment though guys r finding it very hard to shift clothing etc so there are deals to be had........cotteres does be pretty good cheak them out online

oh yea and about the bike you want man seriously as it was i had trouble with my bike when i was learning especially with throttle and clutch control i could only imagine what it would be lik with 600cc's behind you ahah

even now when i do take a go of my dads hyosung 650cc ahah dont know the model but the sports one :eek: it is nerve wracking for a few secs as it is sooo heavy and much bigger n powerful

seriously i would get the 125 to learn the basics and become a safe n experienced rider before you leap to the big bikes cause the more power n less experience = more chance of an accident and seriously as we all know an accident on a bike is in no way something you want to experience

oh yea plus unless ur bike is restricted then under law its illegal, oh and if you were to get into a spot of bother and the insurance found out it wasnt restricted well then they dont have to insure you and wont acknoledge any claims cause u were decieving them..........which then makes trying to get a new insurer much harder and way more expensive ahah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

If its going to be your first bike and your going to be making all the mistakes and that, I would recommend something that can fall over without causing 1k worth of damage. A naked/trail bike with the crash knobs or whatever they are called. When it hits the road it won't be expensive fiberglass in bits everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

hey all. I'm looking at a honda cg125 at the moment. quinn are quoting a decent 580 a year. (it was 425 but I was putting in 2 years full licence under my b licence).

anyhow sorry to thread jack. I'm looking to getting a bike simply because public transport sucks and insuring a car is just too much at the moment.

I've driven bikes in the past. Off road bikes etc
    Anyone know if this is learner legal? I think it is but i've searched and theres no clear answer. Sorry.

Also,
    I'm 19. Is there any restrictions in place or can I get an A licence?

congo_90 wrote: »
    hey all. I'm looking at a honda cg125 at the moment. quinn are quoting a decent 580 a year. (it was 425 but I was putting in 2 years full licence under my b licence).

A CG125 is 'learner legal'.

At 19, you need to pass the theory test, and get your learners permit for an A licence - then after 6 months you can do the test for your full licence.
    You will have to do the full test on a bike of 250cc or bigger, but these can be rented from a bike school.

anyhow sorry to thread jack. I'm looking to getting a bike simply because public transport sucks and insuring a car is just too much at the moment.

I've driven bikes in the past. Off road bikes etc
    Anyone know if this is learner legal? I think it is but i've searched and theres no clear answer. Sorry.

Also,

If you've a bit of experience with bikes I'd say get something a bit bigger, a restricted 600cc like a bandit / hornet. With the restriction it'd be fully legal so no problems with the law, insurance would be more though.

A 600 just feels much more stable, plus has better brakes etc.

My 2c

If you've a bit of experience with bikes I'd say get something a bit bigger, a restricted 600cc like a bandit / hornet. With the restriction it'd be fully legal so no problems with the law, insurance would be more though.

A 600 just feels much more stable, plus has better brakes etc.

My 2c

Thanks but is the tax not more expensive?
    My reason for considering a bike again is simply to commute. Where I live the bus service can be unreliable and doesn't run as late or as early as I'd like.
    What would the typical running costs day to day be on a bike? petrol etc

Thanks but is the tax not more expensive?
    My reason for considering a bike again is simply to commute. Where I live the bus service can be unreliable and doesn't run as late or as early as I'd like.
    What would the typical running costs day to day be on a bike? petrol etc

That will depend on so many things - what bike, your riding style, daily milage, if you drop it and need to repair it, etc

What I will say is that it is not as cheap as you think, BUT...

you get to go where you want when you want.

motor tax up to 200cc is 58e, after that its 76

you'll prob be looking at over 100 mpg on a cg125, no repairs as they never break (practically indestructable), and so simple in operation you'll have no bother finding someone to do the servicing

couldnt think of a better intercity commuter :p

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'm just seeing what all my options are. I'd have to obviosly buy safety gear.
    I could do most of the work myself on the engine as i'm pretty savvy with engines. I'd imagine 125's are mostly 4stroke anyways.

• Advertisement

If you're just commuting a 4stroke 125 will be grand, but if you'd want a bit of fun on the weekends I'd get something bigger ;)

Advertisement