Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of getting a bike?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

KamiKazi wrote: »
    If you're just commuting a 4stroke 125 will be grand, but if you'd want a bit of fun on the weekends I'd get something bigger ;)

you must crawl before you can run ;) sound for all the replies though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

congo_90 wrote: »
    you must crawl before you can run ;) sound for all the replies though!

Few lessons and you'll be grand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

Thanks but is the tax not more expensive?
    My reason for considering a bike again is simply to commute. Where I live the bus service can be unreliable and doesn't run as late or as early as I'd like.
    What would the typical running costs day to day be on a bike? petrol etc

emmmm well petrol costs for me a week bout 12euro and thats with doing at least 300-350km a week

**** how cum you got such a cheap quoute kept getting 1200 with every bike i tried

emmmm well petrol costs for me a week bout 12euro and thats with doing at least 300-350km a week

**** how cum you got such a cheap quoute kept getting 1200 with every bike i tried

I dunno. My address/age I guess.

I dunno. My address/age I guess.

aahahah im a yr older (20) thou well according to your last post, i have 1 yr no claims bonus and even still im still getting 798euro

• Advertisement

I've no licence on a bike yet and presumably 0 years no claims on a bike otherwise it would be 2 years or 500 < euro. Are you insuring some mad high c.c bike or a bike known for speed? Like cars. Choose smallish c.c and small power. It's cheaper.
    A good friend is talkin me outta the bike but I'm keeping it open.
    Sorry to op for thread jacking

I've no licence on a bike yet and presumably 0 years no claims on a bike otherwise it would be 2 years or 500 < euro. Are you insuring some mad high c.c bike or a bike known for speed? Like cars. Choose smallish c.c and small power. It's cheaper.
    A good friend is talkin me outta the bike but I'm keeping it open.
    Sorry to op for thread jacking

nope i am just on a 125cc bike that goes a maximum of 115-120km lol

oh seriously man get the bike i always hated dem but was like **** it cheap way to get around with out buses etc now i love it

I missed out on the cg125 thanks to money issues :rolleyes: (aren't we all?)
    Anyhow. I'm back in the market and have been searching for a good bike on adverts, gumtree etc. No joy just yet though :(

If anyone is selling on adverts and I missed out. Do pm a link and I'll have a look :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

I missed out on the cg125 thanks to money issues :rolleyes: (aren't we all?)
    Anyhow. I'm back in the market and have been searching for a good bike on adverts, gumtree etc. No joy just yet though :(

If anyone is selling on adverts and I missed out. Do pm a link and I'll have a look :)

Quick one from donedeal.ie :
    The funny cargo version, but fairly practical (you're not allowed a pillion on a learner permit anywho)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1138384
    the cg's ugly half-faired cousin
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1093610

Keep an eye out for yamaha ybr125's too
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1107903
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1148248 (06 ybr listed for 1200)

Wossack wrote: »
    Quick one from donedeal.ie :
    The funny cargo version, but fairly practical (you're not allowed a pillion on a learner permit anywho)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1138384
    the cg's ugly half-faired cousin
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1093610

Keep an eye out for yamaha ybr125's too
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1107903
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1148248 (06 ybr listed for 1200)

The first one I spotted on adverts before but 950 is too much. I was hoping no more than 700 max. The others are priced out of my budget. Also one of em is a vintage which although style isnt too important. It looks a bit much!

I'm watching that cg at the moment to see if it goes any lower.

Couldn't give a sh*te bout taking passengers and would rather not anyways.
    Sure I'm only using the bike as a commuter :)

• Advertisement

The first one I spotted on adverts before but 950 is too much. I was hoping no more than 700 max. The others are priced out of my budget. Also one of em is a vintage which although style isnt too important. It looks a bit much!

I'm watching that cg at the moment to see if it goes any lower.

Couldn't give a sh*te bout taking passengers and would rather not anyways.
    Sure I'm only using the bike as a commuter :)

thats cool

Im not sure you'll get the facelifted model for your budget mind, but you never know..!

oh yea, keep an eye on cityspares.ie, some bargains to be had on it

Cheers wossack.
    I'm not too phased about buying the newer model. 99's look nice in the cg!

Spotted this but it's in mayo and over budget still!
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1148315

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i'll look at it for you if you ring him an get him to bring it to castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Cheers wossack.
    I'm not too phased about buying the newer model. 99's look nice in the cg!

Spotted this but it's in mayo and over budget still!
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1148315

That looks a great bike for commuting.

If you could afford it, offer him €950 and see if he takes it.

And I see that Tigger has offered to have a look at it for you.

Cheers Tigger and P.c!

I may contact him but like I said still have a budget which i'm stuck into as I've gotta insure/ tax and still sit a theory test! I'll know where I stand in 2 weeks time but I've gotta have something for March be it car or bike as buses would be cutting it fine for work

Cheers Tigger and P.c!

I may contact him but like I said still have a budget which i'm stuck into as I've gotta insure/ tax and still sit a theory test! I'll know where I stand in 2 weeks time but I've gotta have something for March be it car or bike as buses would be cutting it fine for work

If it was me, using it to get to work, I would go for the 2006 bike.
    It is fairly new, with low milage, so it shoulf be reliable, and you won't have to worry about new tires or a new chain or somting like that.

Good luck with the test.

Just realised I completly thread jacked this!
    Anyhow.. I'll have a word with the oh so nice people in the credit union and see if I can stretch a bit. Just got a dog recently and my work is variable hours so money situation can be a feast or a famine.

So I've narrowed it down to these two

Honda cg 125
    Only thing is. The use of led lights? Illegal?

This also,

Suzuki gn 125

As tigger has pointed out the latter is good and if I get the go ahead I would probably ask your favour of a test drive. Naturally I'd sort ya out for your troubles.

From what i've gathered. In a nutshell they're the same for similar money If I can haggle a bit on them.
    What we thinking? Thanks! I'm of limited knowledge of bikes. I'd presume these are like micras and fiestas of the biker world. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

pm me if you need me

RE the cg125
    The use of LED signals (presuming he means indicators) would be a sign to me thats its potientally been dropped, so I'd be looking for possible damage from that (should hold up well to a drop, and be half expected with a starter bike)

theres no legal worries, but make sure they flash at the correct rate

Pretty apt with your micra/fiesta comparison :)

• Advertisement

So I've narrowed it down to these two

Honda cg 125
    Only thing is. The use of led lights? Illegal?

This also,

Suzuki gn 125

As tigger has pointed out the latter is good and if I get the go ahead I would probably ask your favour of a test drive. Naturally I'd sort ya out for your troubles.

From what i've gathered. In a nutshell they're the same for similar money If I can haggle a bit on them.
    What we thinking? Thanks! I'm of limited knowledge of bikes. I'd presume these are like micras and fiestas of the biker world. :P

Ok, just asked a question about that Honda, and it has drum brakes front and rear.
    While these will last longer, and are reliable, the disk brakes on the Suzuki have better stopping power imo.

Even though I would normally say - 'Buy a Honda'
    in this case I think the Suzuki is the better bike.

cg is kick start only too afaik

agree about the gn being better then this particular honda :)

Cheers for replies. Only thing is the insurance is nearly as makes no difference to double that of the cg! Will shop around a bit and see how I get on. Gn does look like a better bike and I'd have more faith in discs.

Advertisement