Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE beggars belief

Options
  • 06-01-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

From the Limerick Leader http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Regional-Hospital-fined-14m-for.5959123.jp
    LIMERICK Regional Hospital has been "fined" almost €1.4 million by the HSE for inefficiencies in Dooradoyle.
    But a spokesman for the HSE in Limerick said the "casemix efficiency measures" – used by the Executive nationally to redistribute resources from lower to higher performing hospitals – presented particular "difficulties" for major hospital sites like Dooradoyle, while Labour's Deputy Jan O'Sullivan described them as "a crude instrument" taking resources away from the hospital at a time when they were never needed more.

This was due to the reconfiguration of acute and emergency services in the region which was seeing 1,000 fewer patients per month attend emergency departments in Ennis and Nenagh as services were centralised to Limerick.

It was confirmed this week that the HSE is to trim €1.39 million from the Regional's budget for 2010 under the scheme.

This will instead be invested in other hospitals around the country the HSE considers to be more efficient.

The comparative casemix scheme takes into account the cost of treating patients with the same conditions in similarsized hospitals and also each hospital's mix of cases of all complexities.

"Many different factors can impact on the outcome, including the complexity of procedures carried out in a hospital, the cost of drugs, and infrastructural improvements which incur costs but may limit activity for a period of time," said a spokesman for the HSE in Limerick.

Are these people for real?, is there a section/division of the HSE that dreams up this bull****?, do we pay these people to come up with this? or do they pay us to let them be certified gob****es?, on second thoughts.....
    Can somebody explain to me what precisely "casemix efficiency measures" are, how does somebody dream up this waffle.
    What services will be curtailed as a result of this fine?, what people/department were responsible for these "inefficiencies"?, have they been censured, suspended or fired, for these "inefficiencies", or, is it business as usual.

Seething....

jbkenn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

So if a hospital is running inefficiently then they will get less funding ? Is that the main jist of the article?

I know it seems like a punishment for under performing hospitals but surely there will absolutely be no improvment in a hospitals efficiency if money is being reduced.

Farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 badaulname

Just read it on the front of the Leader as well....its actually a shocking decision!!

Complete lunacy and sums up the HSE. Not only have they closed the surrounding A&E's in various counties but now they are punishing the Regional for not being efficient enough dealing with this extra work load. Shambolic. Absoulutely fuming over it...its just one thing after another and no one is making an attempt to get to the bottom of the crap sytems that are already in place! And to make it worse the people that are making these decisions are completely out of touch with reality not to mention over paid!!!:mad:

It says alot that in 2010 people would rather take their chances than visit an Irish hospital...particulary the Regional!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I think we need to call SuperOmbuds-man to get to the bottom of these riduclous policies.. Is it ever gonna end, how long more do we have to let our country be ruined by the policy makers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

The reconfiguration took place with any great alteration in funding to Limerick to account for the extra workload.

Its would not surprising to the man on the street that the hospital went over budget.

The diffiuclty is that the HSE managers seem to have less intelligence than the man on the street and therein lies the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

The Regional = Kip. I had to go there recently and they misdiagnosed me TWICE with potentially life-altering results. Thankfully I sought an opinion elsewhere and all is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

RonMexico wrote: »
    The Regional = Kip. I had to go there recently and they misdiagnosed me TWICE with potentially life-altering results. Thankfully I sought an opinion elsewhere and all is good.

the last time i was in casualty some idiot with very little english told me that i was not there, he then sent a report to my gp stating that i only went in so as notice would be taking of me, despite the fact that the gp had to call an ambulance for me as i was unable to walk. a middling vet would tread one more effectivly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Meanwhile, there are SIXTY beds lying empty in Ennis Hospital, after the HSE decided to scale down the hospital there and send emergency patients from Clare to the not-overcrowded-and-inefficient-at-all Limerick Regional Hospital.

HSE Scumbags.

Advertisement