Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where/How to adopt in Galway?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi, I'm going to adopt a dog this year, but I've found it a little difficult to figure out from where!

Does anyone have a list of the rescue organisations in Galway? And how much it costs from place to place (not really an issue, but it'd be handy to be able to put it by)?

It seems that in Dublin there are a lot of places to choose from but here in Galway places are few and far between.

I've never been to a rescue place before and I don't have a clue what to expect.

What's the deal with Galway City/County Pound for example? I've heard horror stories from there and I'm a bit intimidated to even go there, for example. Sounds like a bit of a Death Row with surly officers. Please tell me I'm wrong.

The main thing I'm worried about is that with so few places around the county, that I know are in desperate straits at the moment, that I'll feel pressurised by the staff into coming home with something. And that's really not the way I want to pick my dog!

Am feeling a bit anxious about the whole experience to be honest. Still want to give a home to a dog that's unwanted. Perhaps an older dog too. But just don't know where to start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Try East Galway Animal Rescue.
    http://www.egar.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I have a Madra dog, so I can highly recommend them. And no, they won't pressure you into taking an unsuitable dog, as they want it to work out for both of you!

You're better off going to rescues if you're worried about things, as they do try and match you up with the right dog and give you back up, whereas the pound doesn't have the same selection of dogs and don't really care.

Madra's adoption fee is (I think) 150 Euro, but for that they neuter, microchip and vaccinate, which is much cheaper than you'd get all that for if you had to pay for all that yourself!

They've always got dogs up on the website, so you can do some window shopping and decide what kind of dog you'd like and would suit your lifestyle before heading out to see them - this is a good idea anyhow, no matter what rescue you go with!

The site is www.madra.ie

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You could try www.irishanimals.com
    They have details on lots of available animals for rehoming along with photos of them and contact details of the shelter.
    You can search by county or if you are interested in a specific type of dog, say a Spaniel, you can search by breed type also.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi. try Madra. they are dog trainers. based in connemara. tell them what you are looking for and they will match you with the right dog. congrats on getting a rescue. i got one earlier this year and she is a super dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Thanks for all the replies - I'll definately try both of those.

Just a question - once you adopt do you actually have ownership of your dog?

I know some places kinda retain ownership even after adoption and I know some people might not care either way, but I think I would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

trio wrote: »

Depending on the breed, it actually owns you.

Just kidding, I would imagine that you own the dog once you have 'adopted' it, unless you are minding a guidedog for the blind. Any rehoming of dogs that I have come across means you take ownership.

Good luck in your endeavours.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

trio wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies - I'll definately try both of those.

I know some places kinda retain ownership even after adoption and I know some people might not care either way, but I think I would.

with the guys i talked to you own the dog, but if for whatever reason you can not keep it you have to hand it back to them, i.e. you can't give it away/sell it after a week/month/year if you get bored - ask them though they won't mind

Advertisement