Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tfn for work

Options
  • 06-01-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi all. Im arriving into Sydney next week (the 15th)on a whv. I have a possibility of some short term work starting straight after. Had left applying for my tax file no. until I arrived as apparently its the most straight forward way. Just wondering is there any problem commencing work without one? I could put in the application on the day I arrive.

Also is it possible to open a bank account without a permanent address? and which one(s) are the best, most branches etc??

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

paidi09 wrote: »
    Hi all. Im arriving into Sydney next week (the 15th)on a whv. I have a possibility of some short term work starting straight after. Had left applying for my tax file no. until I arrived as apparently its the most straight forward way. Just wondering is there any problem commencing work without one? I could put in the application on the day I arrive.

cheers

No there shouldn't be a problem only issue is you taxed at the high rate without your TFN

Apply as soon as you arrive: http://ato.gov.au

Also is it possible to open a bank account without a permanent address? and which one(s) are the best, most branches etc??

cheers

Yes it sure is, I think Westpac and Commonwealth offer this service and you just go in and produce your '100points ID' on arrival i.e passport /DL ,etc. I'd imagine some of the other banks should offer this service as well i.e ANZ, NAB

Just be aware that most banks over here take $5 a month for the privilege of earning interest on YOUR money, as well as other wacky fees like $35 overdraft charges for overdrawing by $2 (even though you never applied for an overdraft)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

thanks for that eringobragh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Another quick question about the tax file number, i have mine but I put myself down as a non resident but apparently i should have put down resident for tax?!?! Im not sure if this is true and how to i change if it is?

kazza90210 wrote: »
    Another quick question about the tax file number, i have mine but I put myself down as a non resident but apparently i should have put down resident for tax?!?! Im not sure if this is true and how to i change if it is?

How long are you in the country? If it's less then 6 months DO NOT put yourself as a resident for tax purposes. That goes for any job you get. You'll ****up your Tax refund otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

How long are you in the country? If it's less then 6 months DO NOT put yourself as a resident for tax purposes. That goes for any job you get. You'll ****up your Tax refund otherwise!

what about a 12month whv stay. should you still put yourself as a non-resident?

Ive heard very varying reports about the amount of tax different people have been able to claim back on leaving the counrty. some end up with a lot less than they thought they should? would this be why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I will be here for a year but only working for 6 months, tried to ring the tax office but there busy and wont answer!

what about a 12month whv stay. should you still put yourself as a non-resident?

Ive heard very varying reports about the amount of tax different people have been able to claim back on leaving the counrty. some end up with a lot less than they thought they should? would this be why?

Well I'd no choice as I wasn't here 6 months for the 2 jobs I've been working at. You can avail of the Resident for Tax Purposes and the Tax free threshold ONLY if you've been in the country over 6 months.

Advertisement