Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***WARNING**** Cameras & Sub Zero Conditions.

• 06-01-2010 7:04pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭

When out shooting the lovely snow scenes remember to be ready for when you are going back inside.

Either have Plastic Bag/s ready that will take all your gear.

OR

Somewhere secure to keep the gear at the sub zero temperature.

If you just bring the cold camera back into a warm (moist) house you will get condensation inside the camera & lenses. This is to be avoided.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

This happened to my brother in Sweden, camera was destroyed. Careful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Putting a good few silica gel or such packs in your camera bag is also a good way to remove moisture, if your gear does fog up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is the kind of thing that you think is blindingly obvious - that it, until it happens to you!

Thanks for the warning and tips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

When out shooting remember to bring a spare batteries as battery life drops way down in COOOLD weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thanks for the warning! What's the idea behind the plastic bags? And if you don't have a secure sub zero storage what's the safest way to bring your gear back up to room temp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The idea of the Plasic Bags is that you seal the camera inside with the cold air. This should have minimal water vapour & so as the it will reduce condensation. If you bring the camera/lenses in directly then the glass is cold & the air inside is warm & has water vapour. This will then condense on the glass & internal components which can cause problems & the water drops can leave marks after they dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Thanks for the tip, was wondering about this. How long should it be kept in the plastic bags for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Keep it in the plastic bags until they heat up to room temp. I would say about 30 mins should be OK.

You can always take the memory cards & batteries out before going inside, so that you can be downloading & charging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Will normal plastic carrier bags suffice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Rb wrote: »
    Will normal plastic carrier bags suffice?

Many plastic shopping bags have holes in the bottom to stop children suffocating themselves, I imagine those holes would let in the water vapour.

Stupid kids.

Try bin liners as these will have to be pretty water tight I'd imagine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Many plastic shopping bags have holes in the bottom to stop children suffocating themselves.

Stupid kids.

Try bin liners

FYP :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

easiest thing to do is to drop your camera into hot water - it brings it up to room temperature far more quickly than leaving it to warm up from the ambient heat.

;):);):D

Mod Edit ..... Added Smilies as someone may actually try it. You have an evil streak Sir!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭steve_oh

say I have a camera in a bag in the boot of my car over night? Is that going to damage the camera in freezing conditions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

After a winter in Whistler, canada last year where its really cold and the snow is extremely wet because its closeness to the sea i never experienced any of this with my EOS.. Maybe i got lucky.. may take a bit more care of it knowing this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ah, Whistler, what a brilliant place. I always enjoy visiting there.

As for the camera - it's sharp changes in temp that will cause the problems. Gradual changes should be fine.

These are just precautions. You can be lucky & not have any problems. Then others have come to grief due to condensation.

I remember seeing a documentary about the filming of "Russian Ark" which was the first feature length movie shot in just one take. It was filmed in the old Winter Palace, now a Museum. It was shot in winter & it was very cold outside. One section the camera has to leave the building & then re-enter through another door. There was great concern that the lens would fog when they came back inside, but it was fine & they got away with it. So sometimes you are lucky .... other times faeces contacts the air impeller.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Thanks for the tip up lads.
    So I take it that this should be used at all times, or is it ok if ya just pop out for a min or two outside the front door and run back in.. or would it be ok to put it back in the camara pouch/bag and bring it back and leave it in that for a bit?

Would sticking 10 or so silica gel packs in with the laptop/camera gear when going away suffice for a week of going in and out of heated buildings from the cold in NYC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

It would help. I always have silica packs in cases/bags.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Condensation is the last of my worries,

When out shooting night shots on the first snow day we had, the d80 worked fine for nearly 2 hours and then all of a sudden the mirror was opening but not closing again and gave me an error message on he display. its started working again after a bit of tinkering and warming up but I still have the problem the odd time., :(

Think its time to upgrade to the D90.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Zip lock bags are best.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Chorcai wrote: »
    Zip lock bags are best.

As in these - if anyone wants some drop me a PM and I'll send you a "sample" :)

Update : just PM me your postal address and I'll pop a couple in the post on Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Yea they would do the trick :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I have had my camera in a plastic bag for well over an hour (was only outside for 10 mins) but the lens is still full of condensation :-( I will look again in another hour!

bp wrote: »
    I have had my camera in a plastic bag for well over an hour (was only outside for 10 mins) but the lens is still full of condensation :-( I will look again in another hour!

I presume you put it in the bag while you were still outside and you squeezed as much air out as possible before sealing it?

I was out for 30 mins last night and put mine in a bag before brining it in. Left it in the utility room for 45 mins before opening and it was perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

BP, Your house must be very warm. I would advise against storing your kit in very warm areas this time of year. I leave all my kit in the kitchen which is the coldest room in the house. We leave a small fly window open for the cat to get in and out so it never gets too hot.
    I was out and about at 8am this morning in the snow for a good hr and straight back into the house. No condensation anywhere.

Like others have mentioned, I'd highly recommend keeping a few bags of silica gel in your camera bag and each time you store it. The more equipment you have, the more silica gel bags you should have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

the house is cold, but I didn't squeeze all of the air out or put it in a bag while still outside....I will do that next time...thanks!

Camera is fine now....it was the UV filter that had the worst condensation! Zip lock bags from now on it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Anyone have a good source for silica packs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Was just about to ask that question:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Ebay is a good place or a packaging supplier should have them. Also Woodies or B&Q

Thanks for all the advice lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

La Senza;):p

I have them too, but unfortunately they're all bulk packs and I can't open them for samples :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Quick question. The viewfinder has fogged up on my camera. Is there any way to get rid of that moisture. The sensor is not affected because it doesn't show up on the pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If you find yourself short of zip locks and silica bags then when you arrive indoors, resist the temptation to stand warming your butt at a blazing fire whilst reviewing your images on the LCD of the camera ;)

What's worked for me thus far (and I'm open to correction and suggestions for improvement to this bit of workflow) is to head to the coldest room of the house, remove your memory card (assuming you want to download to your pc), ideally leave the camera in its zipped up camera bag and leave it there allowing it to gradually come to the coldest room temperature. At a later point (for me is usually the next day) put it where it is stored normally or take it out and use it again.

Anyhow, so far so good its worked for me. But do pick up the silica bags out of the next La Senza purchase you make and keep a few lying in the bag/case - silica gel/not the other or your wife/partner will become suspicious of your photography exploits ;) (or out of any of probably thousands of products that ship with silica gel packs, but La Senza would appear to be a more exciting option I guess).

• Advertisement

I was just reading about those Silica Gel packs.

They are not magic, you have to dry them out for them to be effective. Seems that this can be done in the Oven at 300 degrees F (150 C)

Update : just PM me your postal address and I'll pop a couple in the post on Monday.

All of you who asked - they went in the post this evening so you should have them tomorrow. Good luck with them and I deny ALL responsibility if your camera goes rusty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kungfupanda1

creggy wrote: »
    So true.
    You should Careful.
    :eek:

creggy wrote: »

This may have been Sven Flu :eek:

All of you who asked - they went in the post this evening so you should have them tomorrow. Good luck with them and I deny ALL responsibility if your camera goes rusty :D
    Arrived today, great sized bags too, thank you very much :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

I have never had this problem, 3 bodies at least 6 lenses and I have travelled in really cold areas, From Canada, when Niagara falls where frozen to Carlow when my toes were frozen;)...

I simply put my kit back in my kit bag (outside) and throw the bag in the hall on the way into the house..

Advertisement