Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold Snap this weeks premier league games and a fixture pile up

• 06-01-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭

Ok so with the cold snap not looking like it is going to lift anytime soon and the carling cup semi's already postponed the premier league is looking into a fixture pile up.

In Scotland temperatures could reach as low as -20 this weekend and temperatures in the rest of england are looking at temperatures between -1 and 3 degrees celcius.

So the extra week early the league started at this year could instead of being used by teams going to the world cup for prep, could now end up being used by clubs involved in domestic cups and competitions.

Anyone that was hoping to make a flight over to England for a game might not even get out of Dublin.

Watch this space for further updates

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

So the extra week early the league started at this year could instead of being used by teams going to the world cup for prep, could now end up being used by clubs involved in domestic cups and competitions.

FIFA will have a latest date by which domestic games can take place, so all games will have to happen by that date (whatever it is).

Flights won't be the only thing affecting people, no point flying if you can't get from the airport to wherever the game is on, particularly if you're relying on trains over in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I'm relying on a boat,coach and train. :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Johner wrote: »
    I'm relying on a boat,coach and train. :(
    I've a got a wing and a prayer if you need them

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

I've a got a wing and a prayer if you need them

you have wings ?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Ya i think sky are currently reporting on the train situation on a loop so keep an eye on it over the next few days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kirnsy wrote: »
    you have wings ?:eek:
    A wing :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Anyone that was hoping to make a flight over to England for a game might not even get out of Dublin.

No more snow predicted and ice isn't hard to clear in 4 days. Everything will be fine by Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

If there is a fixture pile up then why not play games on a weekday?. If its good enough for Serie A then it's good enough for the PL, really enjoyed watching Chievo V Inter today in the early afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

If there is a fixture pile up then why not play games on a weekday?. If its good enough for Serie A then it's good enough for the PL, really enjoyed watching Chievo V Inter today in the early afternoon.

Today is a public holiday in Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why would they ever do that though?

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Why would they ever do that though?

Dunno, maybe my memories of WC qualifiers back in the day kicking off on a Wednesday afternoon, as well as Villa's afternoon exploits in the Intertoto in 2008 are informing my opinion.

If there were a prolonged cold snap in the UK cancelling lots of fixtures i would imagine they would be forced to out of necessity? perhaps not in the day time but certainly on Friday nights as well as CL nights.

Plus it would probably push up PL viewing numbers in the far east.

Dunno, maybe my memories of WC qualifiers back in the day kicking off on a Wednesday afternoon, as well as Villa's afternoon exploits in the Intertoto in 2008 are informing my opinion.

If there were a prolonged cold snap in the UK cancelling lots of fixtures i would imagine they would be forced to out of necessity? perhaps not in the day time but certainly on Friday nights as well as CL nights.

Plus it would probably push up PL viewing numbers in the far east.

Fair enough but why not have them at normal time in mid week like they already do? :)

JPA wrote: »
    Fair enough but why not have them at normal time in mid week like they already do? :)

Because PL in the day time would be a great laugh for students and the unemployed!

Because PL in the day time would be a great laugh for students and the unemployed!

I'm up for that, I don't think anyone in power is but it would be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

The most important aspect of this is double gameweeks in fantasy football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

At least we won't have to put up with Ferguson moaning about FA cup games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Modern day footballers = pussies :D

Pair of gloves and and Orange ball FFS :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Modern day footballers = pussies :D

Pair of gloves and and Orange ball FFS :D

But none of the Premier League games are being postponed because of the pitches. :P It's for our safety, so we are the pussies. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If necessary they can make up a bit of a backlog by getting rid of replays in FA Cup ties from the 4th round onwards.
    This would free up a couple of midweek slots for League games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

RasTa wrote: »
    No more snow predicted and ice isn't hard to clear in 4 days. Everything will be fine by Saturday.

Heavy snow is predicted for Southern UK at least on Saturday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement