Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Robinson Affair (mod warning: post 5)

Options
  • 06-01-2010 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Fook it, that one took me by suprise! Having listened to her story and that of her husband, First Minister Peter, just now on the radio, I feel a degree of sympathy however before posting I reminded myself of some of her comments in the near past. That and having absolutely no belief that her husband will fulfill the democratic will of the people of NI, I find any sympathy tempered by my opinions of these pair before the depression/suicide/affair revelations and that the rumours are rife of serious financial shenanagins about to be exposed.

The plot thickens...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

There is something really, really satisfying to see a rightwing nutjob like Iris Robinson exposed as having so many human weaknesses after the many horribly insensitive, cold, smug and self-righteous comments she has made about gays. The sheer inhumanity of so many of her public comments has been chilling.

Anybody who talks about homosexuals being an 'abomination' in need of 'curing' and a state having a duty to uphold "God's law" and other such balderdash is seriously narrowminded and emotionally stunted.

On the other hand it is of course really sad and a genuine personal tragedy. I just hope some more of those other people who view the world in dogmatic ideological black and white and unforgiving terms learn something from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Rebelheart wrote: »
    There is something really, really satisfying to see a rightwing nutjob like Iris Robinson exposed as having so many human weaknesses after the many horribly insensitive, cold, smug and self-righteous comments she has made about gays. The sheer inhumanity of so many of her public comments has been chilling.

Anybody who talks about homosexuals being an 'abomination' in need of 'curing' and a state having a duty to uphold "God's law" and other such balderdash is seriously narrowminded and emotionally stunted.

On the other hand it is of course really sad and a genuine personal tragedy. I just hope some more of those other people who view the world in dogmatic ideological black and white and unforgiving terms learn something from this.

You are really one sad person, with an attitude like that.

Did someone try to poison you in your pram?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

a proliferation of Robinson threads.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"I've done nothing wrong" P Robinson said in his UTV interview, why did he feel the need to say that. He had just poured his heart out in an interview in which he said his wife had attempted suicide in March 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Here's what you need to bear in mind with regard to this discussion (thank you nesf):

We do not ask you to feel compassion, we do not ask you to care. We ask you to show some respect to anyone when there's a tragedy in their personal, not public, life. Someone getting found out for dodging tax or taking bribes is fair game, someone who's just had a divorce, been diagnosed with a disease, lost a loved one or whatever isn't. If you can't bring yourself to respect this line do not post in this forum since it will just get you banned.

As previously, this is the sole warning anyone will receive.

Also, I'm sure some of you guys are amazingly underappreciated comedians. But the "here's to you, Mrs Robinson" line and associated gags as your major contribution are only funny if you're first to the line with it. You aren't:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Well there is a financial scandal brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

rovert wrote: »
    Well there is a financial scandal brewing.

Heard this on Drivetime an hour ago (Peter Robinson gave a very measured but moving interview, in fairness to him). Any more info?

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Heard this on Drivetime an hour ago (Peter Robinson gave a very measured but moving interview, in fairness to him). Any more info?
    During his interview Mr Robinson was also asked if his financial affairs were under investigation.

In reply he said he had always acted "in the most professional and ethical way."

He also confirmed he had received a letter from the BBC which he said contained no allegations against him but "asked questions which are easily answered."

The BBC Spotlight programme has confirmed it has been investigating matters involving Iris Robinson for some time.

In a statement the BBC added that allegations have been put to the Robinsons and their response is awaited.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8444153.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There has been a lot of thinly veiled comments on BBC Radio Ulster over the last year about the Robinsons' financial affairs.

I think they got off with the expenses by the skin of their teeth. Claiming the maximum for two people even though they were living together.

Also, there is the matter of the sale of land to property developers which has raised a few eyebrows.

And I wonder why Irene has chosen this moment to step down? Is it due to other Northern Ireland parties rejecting "dual mandate" and therefore she would lose benefits from the council and either Stormont or Westminster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Cheating on someone is an abomination. I feel sorry for peter he looked like a man close to breakdown on the news today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

It would be hard for anyone who has herd her speak and has disagreed with her to feel sorry for her. Having said that, if you remove yourself from it all you will feel something.

I am always however a believer that you never know what go's on behind peoples doors.

There is one thing i do know. I would love to be a fly on the wall when Ian paisley is talking to him in private. Then again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Have sympathy with Robbo over this. Your spouse having an affair must be unimaginably difficult and much moreso if it's this public.

Don't really have any with Iris. She said homosexuality was actually worse than child abuse. I don't think any amount of depression explains that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hustler 69

Will Peter Robinson come 'out' now it is obvious his marriage is a sham.

Is Seymour Sweeney the man who has been seeing to Ms Robinson.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I think it unfortunate that such matters make their way into the public sphere. However given their 'biblical' line on homosexuality, I'd imagine somebody somewhere would have felt that sympathy was not deserved and leaked the news eventually, had he not done so himself. Theres a lesson there for all who take the 'family values' stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

gerry28 wrote: »
    I feel sorry for peter he looked like a man close to breakdown on the news today.

Did you see the size of the words on the statement he was reading out!?! I wonder is he going blind as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

For a woman who holds the bible so dear to her heart, labelling gay people as worse than pedophiles - she was quick to break one of the ten commandments when it suited her. She hides behind the mask of catholicism Christianity to spread her hateful bigotry. She was most likely driven by guilt. I'm glad she has decided to step away from politics.

As a man, I feel for Peter Robinson - it can't be nice to have your wife cheat on you. All personal feelings aside from him (and I abhor his politics), this is a personal family issue.

dlofnep wrote: »
    As a man, I feel for Peter Robinson - it can't be nice to have your wife cheat on you. All personal feelings aside from him (and I abhor his politics), this is a personal family issue.

Not really when she had an affair with a "business man" when she was openly fundraising for a business venture while holding public office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

dlofnep wrote: »
    She hides behind the mask of catholicism to spread her hateful bigotry. She was most likely driven by guilt.

I'd wager the farm that dear iris was not of the catholic faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Er sorry, I meant christianity. I'm sure she won't be pleased that dlofnep called her a catholic. :)

As much as they dont like homosexuals they sure spend like Elton John and David Furnish:
    http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/national-news/affair-threatens-robinson-legacy-2002296.html

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

hustler 69 wrote: »
    Will Peter Robinson come 'out' now it is obvious his marriage is a sham.

I wouldn't say 40 years of marriage is a sham...pretty good length of time in today's society!!! They have 3 kids due to their marriage as well...which aint bad!!!
    Good to hear Peter is getting back to the day job tomorrow!!! He has done a good job hiding his personal problems for 10 months...and he did a difficult job well today confronting the cameras to tell the truth of what his so-called born again christian wife had done!!! Some church goers are the worst!!!
    Not for me to judge Iris...I'm sure she knows God will however!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Paul4As wrote: »
    Not for me to judge Iris...I'm sure she knows God will however!!!
    Well, there's your basic problem - God.

Yes, I'm a nationalist, yes, I've a couple of friends in Norn Iron who are Orange Breathern, but it's her stance on homosexuality I cannot abide nor that middle class holier-than-thou attitude of the DUP that's so totally unrepresentative of the average working-class 'Prod' in the North.

I did feel a slight twinge of sympathy for Peter Robinson, but it soon faded. I realised I was watching someone lament the passing of righteous 'big-house' Unionism rather than the pecadilos of his spouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sineadmc81

I have no sympathy for either of them. Why on earth would you go public about your private life - it just doesnt add up. We'll soon learn that there is more to this. They will certainly make a few bob from this.

Maybe something on about this at 10.30 on BBC1 NI. Another and rather more significant level to the business may come up.
    Over a year and a half ago, I was involved in a relationship. It began completely innocently when I gave support to someone following a family death.
    I encouraged friends to assist him by providing financial support for a business venture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8444365.stm

...might be wrong now, but.....

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I have sympathy for both of them. I don't see what all the fuss in the media is about either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I hope her god doesnt judge her as harshly as she judges others. Maybe this will teach her humility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ateam

There's a special programme on BBC1 at 10.30 about Robinson.

He's allegedly in trouble over financial issues and it's being said that his Bertie Ahern style emotional interview was a deliberate attempt to make people feel sorry for him before the revelations emerge about his personal finances.

Watch this space...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

Sineadmc81 wrote: »
    I have no sympathy for either of them. Why on earth would you go public about your private life - it just doesnt add up. We'll soon learn that there is more to this. They will certainly make a few bob from this.

The reason they went public is that the BBC's Spotlight programme was just about to expose the affair and show an investigation into their finances.
    The reason he was almost in tears while reading the statement was because he had been forced into a public humiliation. The affair was around 18 months ago and the alledged suicide was over 9 months ago.
    Everything about the statement was stage managed the Journalists invited were all friendly with the Robinsons, and could be relied on not to ask awkward questions. Even the card to Daddy behind him I am sure was carefully placed.
    He was asked about the financial aspect of the investigation and he specifically said HE had done nothing wrong. He didnt make a denial on her behalf.
    Make up your own mind, but the thinking is there is more to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    The reason they went public is that the BBC's Spotlight programme was just about to expose the affair and show an investigation into their finances.
    The reason he was almost in tears while reading the statement was because he had been forced into a public humiliation. The affair was around 18 months ago and the alledged suicide was over 9 months ago.
    Everything about the statement was stage managed the Journalists invited were all friendly with the Robinsons, and could be relied on not to ask awkward questions. Even the card to Daddy behind him I am sure was carefully placed.
    He was asked about the financial aspect of the investigation and he specifically said HE had done nothing wrong. He didnt make a denial on her behalf.
    Make up your own mind, but the thinking is there is more to come.
    He was cuckolded, big climb down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

It appears the secretary of State for the undemocratic republic of Norn Iron, Shaun Woodward was, shall we say, NOT STICKING TO THE ROBINSON SCRIPT this evening in a TV interview when he offered the opinion that the Robinsons, were perfectly entitled as politicians to have a private life, and with lamentable timing on the same evening that the Robinsons had elected to waive this precious privacy by going on BBC and UTV to offload themselves to the barely interested NI viewers, that SHE had had an affair all of nearly two years ago and HE was about to unburden himself to the viewers of his distress about this betrayal, in widescreen technicolor exclusively to BBC NI, and er.....UTV.
    Hardly helpful to the maximum effect of the performance.
    Now assuming that there was no financial or political impropriety in this PRIVATE FAMILY MATTER, this should be nobody's business but the Robinsons. And, no doubt they would be reminding us of this fact, unless........ they knew there was something fishy in this affair, which needed some CONTEXTUALISING in advance, to offset the bad look of their conduct. The BBC Spotlight programme are planning a rather inconvenient glimpse into the Robinson dealings in a fortnight, and they thought they might need to get their story in first.
    Only trouble is, up until now, Peter and Iris weren't exactly 'liked' by the NI public before this story broke. NEW DUP LEADER REQUIRED SOON.

• Advertisement

More indeed......
    The wife of the Northern Ireland First Minister's surprise admission of a sexual affair and attempted suicide was apparently prompted by the imminent broadcast of a BBC television documentary containing allegations of financial impropriety, it has emerged.

Peter and Iris Robinson — Northern Ireland’s most powerful political family — were forced to seize the initiative and attempt to regain control of the story after the investigative journalist Darragh McIntyre, accompanied by a television camera to record the event, presented himself at Stormont on Tuesday with a letter for the First Minister that poses a series of questions to the couple.
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6979128.ece

Advertisement