Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Robinson Affair (mod warning: post 5)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

To quote a man at the BBC....

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why?
    If you are in the UK and see this message please read this advice.
    Go to Radio channels home page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

All this kinda got your man off the hook Joey;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

All this kinda got your man off the hook Joey;)

You never miss a beat do you. Are you obsessed with the man or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm indulging in some cold beer here.

perhaps you can explain further sir??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Magoolio

Hey
    I don't know if this was just a nasty rumour started up in the wake of her comments but did anyone else hear that her son was gay.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-12466.html/

Would kind show the whole hypocrisy of this woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

In fairness none of us know how we'd react in this scenario. I can see blocking things out as a distinct possibility

I agree that this is possible in such cases, but too many other aspects of Robbo's behaviour don't add up.

ardmaj wrote: »
    [/b]

I agree that this is possible in such cases, but too many other aspects of Robbo's behaviour don't add up.

A awfwul lot does not add up. With both there behaviours. But time will tell or not as may be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bock the Robber

There's nothing surprising about Robinson's demeanour after his wife's suicide attempt. Sometimes, people can behave in a way that appears perfectly normal, in the middle of extremely traumatic experiences, even though they happen to be screaming inside.

This is a common thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Jaap

FTA69 wrote: »
    I'm curious as to know why such a song and dance is being made about the fact he plays football.

The police officer who was bombed today was the captain of the PSNI gaelic football team...the dissidents chose their target to cause maximum scaremongering to any catholic who wants to join or who just recently joined the PSNI...they want to intimidate any catholic who wants to see Northern Ireland have a police service that represents the whole of Northern Ireland!
    Your comment seems to be a bit weird FTA69...and seeing as you want to see Colin Duffy (a man who has links to dissident republicans) freed...do you support the attack on the police officer this morning?

As for Iris Robinson not committing suicide...her assistant Mr Black who touted on her on the spotlight programme lastnight...he verified the suicide attempt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Saw the programme today on BBC NEws Channel. Pity in the part where she was asked about gay people etc, what her views on sleeping with a catholic were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Well I personally dont believe she tried to commit suicide. Nice convenient smokescreen that she happens to mention 10 months after it allegedly happened and just before she knew this scandal was about to break. It doesn't add up at all. Once she plays the 'attempted suicide' card she can expect a relatively easy ride from the media who don't want to be seen to be attacking someone with mental illness. If she hadn't come out with this 'attempted' suicide story the Robinson's would have been slaughtered in the media. This woman is a nasty piece of work, from dodgy financial dealings, to anti gay hate speeches, to taking advantage of a young guy after his fathers funeral.

I don't know one person who would be laughing or joking hours after a family member tried to commit suicide. Seriously, that would be outrageous behavior. Why did Robinson even go to work after it, the last you would do if your wife tried to commit suicide would be to stroll off into work a few hours later....you'd be taking the day off and sticking by her side and making sure she doesn't attempt it again a few hours later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

bSlick wrote: »
    Well I personally dont believe she tried to commit suicide. Nice convenient smokescreen that she happens to mention 10 months after it allegedly happened and just before she knew this scandal was about to break. It doesn't add up at all. Once she plays the 'attempted suicide' card she can expect a relatively easy ride from the media who don't want to be seen to be attacking someone with mental illness. If she hadn't come out with this 'attempted' suicide story the Robinson's would have been slaughtered in the media. This woman is a nasty piece of work, from dodgy financial dealings, to anti gay hate speeches, to taking advantage of a young guy after his fathers funeral.

I don't know one person who would be laughing or joking hours after a family member tried to commit suicide. Seriously, that would be outrageous behavior. Why did Robinson even go to work after it, the last you would do if your wife tried to commit suicide would be to stroll off into work a few hours later....you'd be taking the day off and sticking by her side and making sure she doesn't attempt it again a few hours later.

I think you could be wrong in believing that she did not attempt to take her life. The fellow that made everything known said during the programme it happened. If he was not telling lies about all what he was saying happened, why would he want to tell lies about her trying to take her life. Did he not say something like that it was he that got a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Well I believe it couldnt happen to a nicer pair of bigots !

bSlick wrote: »
    If she hadn't come out with this 'attempted' suicide story the Robinson's would have been slaughtered in the media.

I personally think the Robinson's are getting a good slaughtering in the media! Peter is at least facing the cameras, but Iris has vanished!
    As for Peter joking on the day of his wife's suicide attempt...he strikes me as that type of man...a man who could put his work before family life! Well...detach the two anyway very easily!

With the Alliance, Ulster Unionists and the SDLP going in front of the cameras to talk about the Robinsons today...why have Sinn Fein not appeared on our screens? I would've thought they would've been first in there with a few comments! :)
    Apparently they declined all invitations to talk on camera today...weird?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jaap wrote: »
    With the Alliance, Ulster Unionists and the SDLP going in front of the cameras to talk about the Robinsons today...why have Sinn Fein not appeared on our screens? I would've thought they would've been first in there with a few comments! :)

The "Rational and probable" answer:
    While there may be some small merit in the idea that SF have their own skeletons at the moment with the Adams revelations, I suspect that SF being in government in NI with Peter Robinson's DUP is playing a strong part here. McGuinness has stated that he's "shocked" and has called for an urgent meeting between himself and Robinson (P). I would expect a statement after that meeting. It's not necessarily appropriate for the deputy First Minister to make a public statement about the First Minister or to release the hounds until after such a meeting. Hence the short leash on the SF crowd. If I found myself in the role of SF press officer in the past few days, that's what I'd be advising (though I'd be pushing for an early meeting). As government partners, SF also do not want to find themselves in the unenviable role of causing a Stormont suspension with elections in a few months. A belligerent public statement without knowing all the facts could cause that to happen again.

The "Pretending I work for a troublesome tabloid" answer:
    Ah, sure they have something to hide themselves, the rotters (apparently it's an English tabloid:))

More likely like the cats and dogs on the street it's because they know its not all working out as it is portrayed by the robo's. That and the fac that Martin prob does not give a dam about his personel life when it all comes down to it.

Having said that if sinn fein did come out with something I suspect half of the posters on boards would have launched some kind of attack on gerry adams and his clan.

This in my opinion will not turn out to be anything of a personal nature. I suspect and have suspected from the beginning that this is a tax dodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

SF has no need to get involved in this. The others, espicially those on the Unionist side, will do all the work and SF will be able to claim the high ground. That said Gerry Kelly did give an interview to Stephen Nolan this morning on Radio Ulster. (12 mins in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ps1f4/The_Stephen_Nolan_Show_08_01_2010/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

The spin has started today with Robinsons appearance with Davenport.

The two £25k cheques.
    He is now calling them "loans" that were arranged for Kirk and paid to him by the 2 developers........... even though it is clear that at one time, pre getting caught with the smoking gun that she had no intention of paying them back.
    On leaving his seriously ill Wife in the house immediatly after her suicide attempt.
    He now says he took medical advice, presumibly by phone. He doesnt say from whom. Yet when Black arrived at the house, no Doctors were in attendance. When the Doctors arrived the sent her to hospital. That is standard medical practice for an attempted suicide victim.

The good news is that few believe him. The online poll in the Belfast Telegraph shows 77% believe he should resign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    He now says he took medical advice, presumibly by phone. He doesnt say from whom.

I believe it was a locum rather than the family doctor who aparently they were unable to contact. Have to say this totally surprises me... the idea that the Robinsons can't get hold of anyone they want in the middle of the night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

So, why did this Selwyn Black man gives so much information about the Robinsons to the BBC?

Anybody know the background as it seems most of the BBC's case rests on this one man?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Rebelheart wrote: »
    So, why did this Selwyn Black man gives so much information about the Robinsons to the BBC?

Anybody know the background as it seems most of the BBC's case rests on this one man?

Watch Spotlight it is explained

rovert wrote: »
    Watch Spotlight it is explained

You got to love spotlight. For a man who constantly referenced the program and its discoveries for years he is very quite on its revelations now.

I dont believe that Irish Robo is suffering from mental illness and I dont believe the program does.

I believe what the program is highlighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

You got to love spotlight. For a man who constantly referenced the program and its discoveries for years he is very quite on its revelations now.

I dont believe that Irish Robo is suffering from mental illness and I dont believe the program does.

I believe what the program is highlighting.
    I would think the link to the developers is probably of more importance than how Robinson reacted in the hours after his wife had that unfortunate incident. We weren't there so we dont know what exactly was the sequence of events and to be fair that would be private for the most part.

I would think the link to the developers is probably of more importance than how Robinson reacted in the hours after his wife had that unfortunate incident. We weren't there so we dont know what exactly was the sequence of events and to be fair that would be private for the most part.

I agree. This link is more important. The reason I think its more important is because I think the illness is a smokescreen and should not be discussed.

Does anybody here honestly believe the Irish Robinson retired from politics because of illness.....

Its convienent.

Infact if you replace Peter Robinson with Gerry Adams I imagine you would get the usual rubbish.

In fact there is many threads on the subject.

The only thing here is that if peter robinson resignes and there is no investigation that would be really criminal.

But as someone who follows the nortern politics very closely I guarantee with absolute certaintly that peter robinson will not resign because his future is still being planned. Namely as leader of the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

But as someone who follows the nortern politics very closely I guarantee with absolute certaintly that peter robinson will not resign because his future is still being planned. Namely as leader of the DUP.
    I wonder about that. Robinson is a bright guy and he surely knows that by staying he may fracture the DUP. I don't think he wants to be the guy who hands the first ministership (?) to Sinn Fein.
    I suspect if he can't persuade his own supporters of his integrity then he will go. But he might still do that. After all, the only thing he is guilty of is not shopping his wife! And it might be possible to persuade people that that was a step too far for any man, even if the law demanded it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

I see that DUP 'Dirty Dozen' member Gregory Campbell has told the media that Peter Robinson has only seven days to clear his name. I think GC fancies taking over the sinking ship himself. So Iris isn't the only delusional bat in the belfry of vipers we know as the DUP.

SF has no need to get involved in this. The others, espicially those on the Unionist side, will do all the work and SF will be able to claim the high ground. That said Gerry Kelly did give an interview to Stephen Nolan this morning on Radio Ulster. (12 mins in)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ps1f4/The_Stephen_Nolan_Show_08_01_2010/

Gerry Kelly has a cheek to talk about the Robinsons and the mistakes they've done...Gerry got 2 life sentences and 20 years for the Old Bailey attack where 1 person died and 200 were injured...he then whilst escaping prison shot and injured a prison warden in the head leaving him for dead...having escaped prison he set up an active IRA cell in Europe where he was caught again with guns and ammunition! :)
    Yes...Gerry may have made a few serious mistakes and we all have to move on with the future of Northern Ireland...but we don't forget!
    Once the Robinson affair is over and the guilty people get what is coming to them...I can't wait to see Gerry Adams squirm over allegations against his brother! I'm sure the whole of Ireland will enjoy that as well!:)

• Advertisement

Gerry Kelly has a cheek to talk about the Robinsons and the mistakes they've done...Gerry got 2 life sentences and 20 years for the Old Bailey attack where 1 person died and 200 were injured...he then whilst escaping prison shot and injured a prison warden in the head leaving him for dead...having escaped prison he set up an active IRA cell in Europe where he was caught again with guns and ammunition! :)
    Yes...Gerry may have made a few serious mistakes and we all have to move on with the future of Northern Ireland...but we don't forget!
    Once the Robinson affair is over and the guilty people get what is coming to them...I can't wait to see Gerry Adams squirm over allegations against his brother! I'm sure the whole of Ireland will enjoy that as well!:)

This has got to be the best toss of an egg i have seen. The posters point was the sinnfein have not really commented. This has nothing to do with Gerry Kelly, by his own words also...

Advertisement