Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Robinson Affair (mod warning: post 5)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jaap wrote: »
    Gerry (....)as well!:)

He could have sunk the Lusitania. It's still rather irrelevant to this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Jaap, take Gerry Kelly's past to another thread please (preferably a new one if anything). It's not related to this discussion.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

I see Iris has been kicked out of the DUP, I wonder is this to put pressure on Robinson or is it a tactic to distance Iris from Peter.

rovert wrote: »
    Watch Spotlight it is explained

Does anyone else think that the Spotlight program was also hinting that Iris may have had an affair with the father of the young man ? or am I reading to much into the statement about them being very close?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

This has got to be the best toss of an egg i have seen. The posters point was the sinnfein have not really commented. This has nothing to do with Gerry Kelly, by his own words also...

Indeed. I don't like Gerry Kelly one bit but I felt that his comments last night were pretty moderate and he shied away from putting the boot in.

Now it may be that Sinn Fein feel that the DUP are weaker with Peter Robinson in charge but that might be a bit of a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

Whatever about anything else, she was a remarkably well preserved woman for her age and I am not surprised the young man in question had an affair with her. On the personal side, it is tragic that she suffers with depression but then again, a lot of women do and then stay with their husband who is then blamed, (peter got away light out of this one). Public life is a huge strain on families none moreso than when both are involved. It is sad that this happened (but then again look at the party it happened in).
    One last thing, I actually agreed with a lot of her policies even though she was very biggotted as well.
    All in all, a sad story that couldn't have happened to nicer people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭bSlick

Excuse me if I dont buy this depression excuse, she is living in the absolute lap of luxury, has had a very successful career, is making a ton of cash which allowed her to indulge her penchant for designer clothes and the high life, and was having sex with someone 40 years younger than her. What exactly was she depressed about? When all else fails to excuse the inexcusable just say you're depressed, that's what everyone does nowadays. These people wouldn't have the first clue about real depression.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭POINTBREAK

seekers wrote: »
    Whatever about anything else, she was a remarkably well preserved woman for her age and I am not surprised the young man in question had an affair with her. On the personal side, it is tragic that she suffers with depression but then again, a lot of women do and then stay with their husband who is then blamed, (peter got away light out of this one). Public life is a huge strain on families none moreso than when both are involved. It is sad that this happened (but then again look at the party it happened in).
    One last thing, I actually agreed with a lot of her policies even though she was very biggotted as well.
    All in all, a sad story that couldn't have happened to nicer people

You have obviously never seen her in real life. All of the election and publicity photos are airbrushed. She looks every bit her full 60 years.
    On the depression, there was no mention of it until she was caught.
    On the strain of public life....... she choose it and relished it. She got the family the name swish family Robinson because of her outrageous spending. She even had to pay back £350 pounds that she paid for a PEN when she tried to claim it as an expense.
    Rumour has it she is abroad skiing at the minute , but too ill to answer questions.
    I dont even know if she had any policies to agree with except hating gays for Jesus......... which policies do you mean?

bSlick wrote: »
    Excuse me if I dont buy this depression excuse, she is living in the absolute lap of luxury, has had a very successful career, is making a ton of cash which allowed her to indulge her penchant for designer clothes and the high life, and was having sex with someone 40 years younger than her. What exactly was she depressed about? When all else fails to excuse the inexcusable just say you're depressed, that's what everyone does nowadays. These people wouldn't have the first clue about real depression.

Couldnt agree more. Further to that the papers are reporting that she will get a 42k pay off and a pension based on her salary of 62k when she resigns next week........ we had payment for failue with the bankers, now its payment for corruption.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    Couldnt agree more. Further to that the papers are reporting that she will get a 42k pay off and a pension based on her salary of 62k when she resigns next week........ we had payment for failue with the bankers, now its payment for corruption.

Why are you typing in bold?

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Why are you typing in bold?

Why are you asking?

Stick to the thread topic people. It's not that hard.

Pointbreak, if there's a medical or procedural reason why you need or feel the need to post your entire post in bold to stress it in its entirety, please inform me by PM. Otherwise, there's no reason for it - if your posts are worthy enough, people will read them regardless.

The topic is hinted at strongly by the thread title.

/mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    I see Iris has been kicked out of the DUP

And so she has been:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0109/northpolitics.html

I'm not quite in sympathy with her but, as gone in the head as it sounds, I could be getting there. I'd say she is feeling the cold now. Hopefully, next time she becomes one of these "born again" types she can be "born again" into something more compassionate, into some belief system which can sympathise if not empathise with people who are different from her rather than demonise them.

Canon Stephen Neill had a letter published about Iris Robinson in this morning's Irish Times wherein he quoted a woman named Anne Lamott: 'You can tell you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do'. (http://www.irishtimes.com/letters/)

How very true this is when it comes to Iris Robinson, and the harsh and unforgiving section of Protestantism from which she draws her inspiration. It's so blinkered and narrow-minded and just lacking in human decency (by which I mean respect for our fellow humans) that it's hard to believe an adult can subscribe to it as fervently as she does.

On the "lap of luxury" thing you do have a point, a very, very strong one. I would say that this could be Peter's undoing as well.

However, I wouldn't really be surprise if Iris had been/is suffering from depression. In fact, I personally believe she does; with her fervent zealousness in religious matters she is at least a good candidate. But she deserves to go down on the basis of her finances alone. And I'd be fairly certain she'll stay down now.

I watched the programme via the YouTube links above this morning. I have one question:

Did anybody find it odd that Kirk McCambley had to pay that money back when it was easily established that he had been given it as a gift? It seemed very unfair, and most probably illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Its like reading a triller, who would have thought, Sex, Money, toyboy, suicide attempt, a soap opera writer would not have written this story. Feel sorry for Peter Robinson.

Depression is a medical condition. While it can be exacerbated by personal circumstances, it isn't necessarily caused by feeling a bit down or low due to being triggered by something bad happening. It's likely to be caused by a mixture of social, biological and physiological factors. There's about a 40% inheritability rate for depression based on recent studies. There can be trigger factors of course but a biological tendency towards depression certainly isn't affected significantly by good personal circumstances.

I'm not typing the above to defend Iris Robinson. Sod her. But implying that people who have it good and have what is ostensibly a good standard of life can't get depressed is untrue and unfair to many people who are. I doubt very much that people in that situation require your pity or sympathy but I reckon they deserve more than an expressed lack of knowledge about what medically diagnosed depression is.

I'm not typing the above to attack you either. But while you're perfectly free to have views on Iris Robinson, her actions, the Irish and Northern irish medical sector, the Northern Irish political sector, Protestants, Catholics, bigots, fools, medical diagnoses of depression in general or what "being depressed" actually means in a medical (as distinct from casual) usage of the phrase, if you reckon that it can't happen that someone who has a good existence can get depressed and be medically diagnosed with depression, then you need to read up on it a little more. There are plenty of reputable online resources for that clue to be got.

I'm assuming you're not that familiar with what the more major depressive disorders are caused by. Apologies if you are but your post gives the impression that you are not. Hence the suggestion to read before making assumptions that aren't backed up by medical science. As I said above, that's unfair to a very large group of people in Irish society. So I'm not having a go at you, just waving the Woah, WTF? flag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

POINTBREAK wrote: »
    You have obviously never seen her in real life. All of the election and publicity photos are airbrushed. She looks every bit her full 60 years.
    On the depression, there was no mention of it until she was caught.
    On the strain of public life....... she choose it and relished it. She got the family the name swish family Robinson because of her outrageous spending. She even had to pay back £350 pounds that she paid for a PEN when she tried to claim it as an expense.
    Rumour has it she is abroad skiing at the minute , but too ill to answer questions.
    I dont even know if she had any policies to agree with except hating gays for Jesus......... which policies do you mean?

Pity some of the gang down here were not made accountable for their expenses.

Don't get me wrong. I have seen this happen other people and depression has had a role in it in most occasions. When women get depressed they go mad and there is no accounting for their actions and this often leads to marriage breakdown. With the change in law they cannot be committed for treatment. She should really be thrown in to a mental hospital and left there until she cops herself on. Her and the rest of the DUP! Speaking of that party, didn't they have connections with loyaliam going back to the beginning of the troubles in the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

This is the story that keeps on giving!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I watched the programme via the YouTube links above this morning. I have one question:

Did anybody find it odd that Kirk McCambley had to pay that money back when it was easily established that he had been given it as a gift? It seemed very unfair, and most probably illegal.

Yeah we were discussing that whilst watching it. I possibly think that could have been an influencing factor on Black for going to BBC.

Even if it were a loan, to expect a low profit business to pay back 45K in a number of months is extortion, particularly when it had been opened very recently.

I wonder what kind of threats she must have made to get him to agree to pay it back . Perhaps threatening to use her political might to destroy his business. Though perhaps the fear of the man who lead 500 loyalists into monaghan finding out he was sleeping with his wife was enough in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Grafter

With Apologies to Sceptre and whoever I offended with my earlier post, as I didn't realise my weak attempt at satire was innapropriate for this board, I will now restate my point in what I hope is an acceptable way.

I am surprised that no-one here is surprised that both Gerry Adams and Peter Robinson have come under huge pressure in recent weeks with regards to issues that are not current or new but are currently worthy of tabloid attention.

Is it possible that one or both have refused to give into outside pressures and deserve credit for standing firm with regard to their principles when it affects the Justice and Policing issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Grafter wrote: »
    With Apologies to Sceptre and whoever I offended with my earlier post, as I didn't realise my weak attempt at satire was innapropriate for this board, I will now restate my point in what I hope is an acceptable way.

I am surprised that no-one here is surprised that both Gerry Adams and Peter Robinson have come under huge pressure in recent weeks with regards to issues that are not current or new but are currently worthy of tabloid attention.

Is it possible that one or both have refused to give into outside pressures and deserve credit for standing firm with regard to their principles when it affects the Justice and Policing issue?

I tihnk coincidence to be honest

It was not just my imagination so I thought Spotlight was hinting at a relationship with the father as well.

It makes you wonder do these ultra consevative types really believe the bible preachings on homosexuality etc when they can ignore the bible teachings on adultery whilst using the same basis to condemn homosexuality.

Maybe she was doing some constituency work as spokesperson for Health, Youth and Women? I wonder what Big Ian would think about all this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

seekers wrote: »
    Maybe she was doing some constituency work as spokesperson for Health, Youth and Women? I wonder what Big Ian would think about all this?
    Is this Spotlight programme worth watching or does it raise more questions than ask answers?

Is this Spotlight programme worth watching or does it raise more questions than ask answers?

I thought it was. I followed the three YouTube links above so I'm not sure if they omitted sections in the break between each of the three.

Was that reporter, Darragh McIntyre, the guy who was going around interviewing all these British criminals in a series a couple of years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Well worth watching Bayview, it'll give you an excellent grounding for all that will break in the next few days/weeks. Panorama special on tomorrow night at 8.30 on the affair.... there is a lot more to come.

• Advertisement

Panorama special on tomorrow night at 8.30 on the affair.... there is a lot more to come.

Aha! Noted.

Advertisement