Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Robinson Affair (mod warning: post 5)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭mocata

Depression is of course a horrible thing, but the point here is that there was very little evidence of it until such times as she knew she was painted into a corner. Her entrenched bigot homophobic views hardly endear her to people, and everyone loves to see people on high horses take a tumble. What she is labelling "Depression" is nothing more than guilt, panic and an attempt to use mental illness as a shield to hide behind to lessen the impact some of her immoral and illegal actions. She seemed perfectly capable of orchestrating property deals, identifying business opportunities, making complex financial arrangements and carrying on an affair while fulfilling her 3 "jobs".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Was that reporter, Darragh McIntyre, the guy who was going around interviewing all these British criminals in a series a couple of years ago?

Thats his brother, Donal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭ardmaj

Voipjunkie wrote: »
    I see Iris has been kicked out of the DUP, I wonder is this to put pressure on Robinson or is it a tactic to distance Iris from Peter.

This surely suggests that even the DUP don't swallow the mental illness ploy, otherwise, surely they wouldn't want to be seen to kick a prominent member when she's already down. Also, Peter looks a bit ruthless meekly accepting Iris's sacking in the hope his party will leave him in place.
    The DUP is a bit like a fish. It rots from the top down. If this is the standard of ethical behaviour in business, at the top of the party, what are their mps at further down the food chain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

ardmaj wrote: »
    This surely suggests that even the DUP don't swallow the mental illness ploy, otherwise, surely they wouldn't want to be seen to kick a prominent member when she's already down.
    I am not a fan of the DUP, for many reasons but I have to say kudos for the speed with which the acted. What was it? Two days from the Spotlight program until she was dispatched. We are so used to the FF way of doing things that we forget that not all parties tolerate corruption.

Edit: Just seen on the news: Peter is to stay, for now,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Arlene Foster's (temporarily) in as First Minister, Robinson is (temporarily) out.

Update from The Guardian
    "I think it is important that I share with you a letter that I have just received from the first minister," [Assembly Speaker] Hay said. "I wish to inform the House that I have this afternoon received written notice from the First Minister Peter Robinson that under the Northern Ireland Act 1998 he has designated Mrs Arlene Foster to exercise the functions of the office of First Minister. The designation takes immediate effect."

Plenty of other threads to discuss FF by the way, it's not as though we're running short of those, I see the rationale behind their mention but don't turn this thread into an FF one:)

edit: I've deleted one or two posts subsequent to the above request that just went and ignored it.

To repeat it for emphasis:
    sceptre wrote:
    Plenty of other threads to discuss FF by the way, it's not as though we're running short of those, I see the rationale behind their mention but don't turn this thread into an FF one:)
    Moderator request, please bear in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

I don't think robinson will be back as first minister after this. Incidentily what are the stumbling blocks over dovolution of policing and justice? I find it odd that any political group would refuse both money and power.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

life is so ironic. He is taking time out to sort out his life and yet he could not stay at home when she took an overdose. Forgive me for believeing that his actions are the selfish actions of the man he has always been.

That being said I would rather deal with him anyday. The prospect of power motivates him. There is no nationalism in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Power corrupts that is the bottom line.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The Panorama special mentioned how KC is still owed money which was given a gift to Kirk. This appears to be getting murkier and murkier!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm no expert on the Northern Ireland Assembly.
    Peter Robinson has stepped down as First Minister.
    Why doesn't his deputy, Martin McGuinness, take over as First Minister?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Hermy wrote: »
    Apologies if this is a dumb question but I'm no expert on the Northern Ireland Assembly.
    Peter Robinson has stepped down as First Minister.
    No. The prefix "Deputy" is totally misleading. Effectively First and Deputy First minister is a joint office.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hermy wrote: »
    The First Minister comes from the largest party in the Assembly while the deputy First Minister comes from the largest party that is in the opposite designation (under the Northern Ireland Act 1998 and the St Andrew's Agreement, brought into law by the Northern Ireland (St Andrews Agreement) Act 2006). As it happens the two offices are in a diarchy and have equal power but that's irrelevant to selecting them. As part of the process both office holders need to win overall support and support from both "sides". The DUP are currently the largest party in the Assembly and hence the current First Minister comes from the DUP regardless. Sinn Fein are currently the largest party on the opposite "side" so the current deputy First Minister comes from Sinn Fein regardless.

Procedure tends to be very important in places where the gun of the rule of the gun is still warm. If you need any further info, feel free to start a separate thread, there's typically someone with similar questions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

kbannon wrote: »
    The Panorama special mentioned how KC is still owed money which was given a gift to Kirk. This appears to be getting murkier and murkier!

You see, I think this is at the crux of the entire issue, the question of honesty, integrity, honourability and credibility, and they are sadly running out of it. Unfortunately that has a habit of tainting a party, as we've seen in the UK and down here. It is an election year and the DUP will not like going to the doorstep with the ridicule this has created, the impression of greed and corruption, and what many of their supporters would regard as both exploitation, predatory behaviour and blatant immorality.

I enjoyed the show of support and the statement by Nigel dodds on the news last night. It struck me as very very strange that foster was appointed his temp successor.

Nigel dodds gave this show of support to assure the public and the parties political apponents that they were behind robinson. The only party actually being critical of the affair is the UUP and this is because like Sinn Fein they understand that this has the ability to bring down the northern execututive due to the fact that while its being discussed there in no discussion on goverment and devolved policing

You then get thinking. On the apointment of foster. She is new to the DUP in relative terms she is not big on public statements like say Dodds or William McCrea. This current situation actually suits the DUP because in their own words no progress in actually progress by their standards. In other words if nothing is being done there is no devolvement which suits them fine.

In fact i reckon its going to be "Take all the time you want peter. See you after marching season....

sceptre wrote: »
    The First Minister comes from the largest party in the Assembly while the deputy First Minister comes from the largest party that is in the opposite designation (under the Northern Ireland Act 1998 and the St Andrew's Agreement, brought into law by the Northern Ireland (St Andrews Agreement) Act 2006). As it happens the two offices are in a diarchy and have equal power but that's irrelevant to selecting them. As part of the process both office holders need to win overall support and support from both "sides". The DUP are currently the largest party in the Assembly and hence the current First Minister comes from the DUP regardless. Sinn Fein are currently the largest party on the opposite "side" so the current deputy First Minister comes from Sinn Fein regardless.

Procedure tends to be very important in places where the gun of the rule of the gun is still warm. If you need any further info, feel free to start a separate thread, there's typically someone with similar questions:)

Nicey put... Can you imagine the real trouble it would have cost...Then again say what you want about peter robbo he is a politician and at that an oppertunist. Like most in his shoes he would deal with the devil if it ment cutting a better deal.

It makes you wonder about the true nature of political institutions in the north. Are they a genuine democratically elected govt or are they a govt of factions to protect stability in the north.

If they are a govt of factions which your point seems to raise then really we need men like peter robbo because its that greed for power that will actually tear us away from the gun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Amazingly how quickly it took for Robinson to step down. Compare that to down here where you almost have to drag them kicking and screaming from office. Worrying time now for the peace process. If DUP appoint a more hard line leader that could be trouble for the power sharing executive. WIll more time now have to be invested by our government to keep the process on track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Paisley jnr just interviewed on BBC and when asked if he supported Robinson, he said he stood by the leadership and had been asked not to comment on the leadership's statement. He said once he was told he could comment on it he would. Seems like the divide is definately there..... interesting few weeks ahead.

its on primetime now.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

what are they saying?

kbannon wrote: »
    what are they saying?

Not much sorry.... i though they might. Its just more politicians backing Peter up.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement