Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Latest HIRLAM suggests nothing much for tomorrow with any potential along the far west:

hile that "polar low" is weak, it does seem to be strong enough to draw in surface temps of +2c to +5c in the west on its southern flank. I getting increasingly doubtful about this event (from an imby point of view), but I am opened to being wrong, thus very much surprised!

makes you think looking at that how much snow the east coast and south east coast would actually get if there was a NE or preferably an Easterly in place. It would be constant. That's why those in the east should prepare for more snow this weekend as the winds are going to shift back to a NE to E direction

In the spirit of Monty Python all I can say to you in the East is ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    According to the models/charts/ensembles/stats yokes, it is going to be an event from west donegal in a straight line down to west cork. There is no doubt that, if this is the case, the precip will certainly push inland at points away along the way.

BBC chart may not be so inaccurate.

WolfIRE I am placing my faith in you... you have been pretty accurate for our area so far and i hope that you are on track with this one too. Was going to say fingers crosses but if cross them one more time tonight, they will simply fall off!;)

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My friend and I are going to take a midday Friday train to Westport... does anyone think there is going to be a problem as a result of this "polar low" ?

Any idea what its like there at the moment? (I'm looking towards Deep Easterly here :) )

DeV.

eskimocat wrote: »
    WolfIRE I am placing my faith in you... you have been pretty accurate for our area so far and i hope that you are on track with this one too. Was going to say fingers crosses but if cross them one more time tonight, they will simply fall off!;)
    Only thing that may scupper chances of snow for some along the coast is the upper temps. higher ground will be fine near the coast but low lying areas could only see sleet or freezing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

DeVore wrote: »
    My friend and I are going to take a midday Friday train to Westport... does anyone think there is going to be a problem as a result of this "polar low" ?

Any idea what its like there at the moment? (I'm looking towards Deep Easterly here :) )

DeV.

Shouldn't be a problem Dev unless that Polar low moves a lot East and drops a crazy load. Trains aren't really affected unless you get high drifts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Will have to go search out the Dublin Airport record.

-7c at 23:30 at Dublin Airport :eek:

wiki say -10.1C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Caza

Hey loving the snowy conditions and so addicted to this thread just got tomorrow and fri off work hoping it continues and that we get mon off! extended xmas hols! hopefully we get some snow on sun or mon!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    wiki say -10.1C

I see, if it wasnt for the high level cloud heading towards us in the next 2/3 hours it would of went, shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

-9c here and dropping about 0.5 every 30 mins or so.

You wouldn't even put milk bottle out in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Only thing that may scupper chances of snow for some along the coast is the upper temps. higher ground will be fine near the coast but low lying areas could only see sleet or freezing rain.

Its staying at a steady -5 here, but that could be cause we're in a kinda sheltered hollow... might be colder else where depending on breeze, but since collooney (southwest of me) is at -7. 4 on NRA weather then we might stay cold enough... do you think?? or are those temps too warm?

Noticed manorhamilton is -2.3 and its just 5 mins northwest by car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-14.3c crazy stuff went out for a min and it felt weird I got a headache from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    wiki say -10.1C

So does Met Eireann:

http://www.met.ie/climate/dublinairport.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so, if, as is now likely, this polar low misses us completely by staying well out at sea

what are the chances of showers getting going in the west and northwest early tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

positively tropical -7.2C here then...

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

On the late night forecast Eagleton was more positive about it coming close if not hitting the West coast. The polar low i mean.

so, if, as is now likely, this polar low misses us completely by staying well out at sea

what are the chances of showers getting going in the west and northwest early tomorrow?
    more like getting going from now followed by more prolonged precip from late tomorrow AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

sean555 wrote: »
    On the late night forecast Eagleton was more positive about it coming close if not hitting the West coast. The polar low i mean.

It'll be a nowcast.

We'll be watching the satellite loop in the morning. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well, even if the snow is confined to high ground, at least it will allow the Galway/Clare/Mayo hills, all of which I can see from my flatland location, to get another top up of snow which will only enhance their beauty. When the morning sun shines on them, that is when their magnificence is enhanced. If it does not snow here, at least I can get to witness it on the hills so far away. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Villain wrote: »
    -14.3c crazy stuff went out for a min and it felt weird I got a headache from it

Your blood would start to thicken at temperatures below -12C increasing the risk of a heart attack.

Forgive me now for ...*ahem...cough...mentioning.....cough...polar low...cough*. BUT...what exactly would it take for our northern system jobee to turn into an official PL at this stage? Could the swirling activity to its rear have a bearing on such a formation? (LOOK HERE.)

WARNING: This post was generated by a pure desire to see a PL develop over Ireland and is not based on any real meteorological experience or insight. Terms and Conditions apply! No refunds. Closing date for abusive replies has passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

-3.6°C, plenty cold enough.
    Jebus Villain , thats just too cold, feck that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

irish1967 wrote: »
    I love this. Was wondering what we would be staying up late for tonight and Villians Temp is it! Phew for a while there I thought it was an early bed early :)

Irish1967 how's the iPhone is it a good job m8,as I'm thinking of getting one.am using a iPod touch now to post.

Sorry way off topic freezing very hard in n. Kk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 BotanyQueen

I'm bored with this powdery snow, could barely make a snowball this evening, let alone a snowman...
    Gimme some flakes please...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Back to -6c on the 0000 update
    Casement at -8c.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It'll be a nowcast.

We'll be watching the satellite loop in the morning. :pac:

it'll be a restless night so:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

One for the experts, but, would snow sitting on top of a Stevenson screen affect the temps inside? I know to a certain degree snow can act as insulation? But would it affect the sensor inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Villain wrote: »

-14.3c :eek::eek::eek:
    i can't even imagine how cold that feels, i was out in -3c earlier and my face was sore when i came in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

N81 Baltinglass Jan 06, 23:00 -12.5° C.

Stay off the N81 tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Bloody hell, every time Villains site refreshes, temp has gone down another bit.

Current temp here is -5.3 C and -7 C dp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

bassy wrote: »
    Irish1967 how's the iPhone is it a good job m8,as I'm thinking of getting one.am using a iPod touch now to post.

Sorry way off topic freezing very hard in n. Kk

It's a good job. Very similar to your iPod. Back on topic it's freezing here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement