Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bloody hell, every time Villains site refreshes, temp has gone down another bit.

Current temp here is -5.3 C and -7 C dp
    Station updates computer at home every 2 seconds, updates site every 45 seconds roughly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

It aint a polar low the trough will hit NW Ireland and clip SW Ireland as it travels South - How far Inland it gets is anyone guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

off to me leaba.. cannot take it... tired out from sheer excitement.. as bad as a small child, i'll be grumpy in the morning.:(

Just gonna hope WolfeIre is right and that i wake up to the winter wonderland of my dreams.... although knowing me, if i think there may be snow during the night i will be up and down like a lu-la checking !!! Enjoy, those that can stay up!

Stars twinkling at me just to be spiteful and not a cloud to be seen :(

Villain good luck with the temp!!! the iceman commeth (unless he wears extra socks...);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp is hoovering between -6.8c and -7.0c over the last while so the fall has stopped. None the less, my lowest temp of January recorded so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

DeVore wrote: »
    My friend and I are going to take a midday Friday train to Westport... does anyone think there is going to be a problem as a result of this "polar low" ?

Any idea what its like there at the moment? (I'm looking towards Deep Easterly here :) )

DeV.

DeVore... Westport is sound at the moment... plenty of snow but all the pubs are open and the roads / paths to them are clear... but nice and white everywhere else.

This winter Westport as been a bit of a snow magnet - White Christmas, White New Years Eve... snow last nite and today... Croagh Patrick looks great (could almost ski down it)... bay half frozen... at the same time the Atlantic tends to melt it pretty quick, so we getting the best of both worlds... plenty of snow without the hassle. :)

Anyone looking for snow should take a trip down here... plenty of it and all running smoothly. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

eskimocat wrote: »
    off to me leaba.. cannot take it... tired out from sheer excitement.. as bad as a small child, i'll be grumpy in the morning.:(

as will i:o perhaps another rant will do the trick and we'll both see snow...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Villain wrote: »
    Station updates computer at home every 2 seconds, updates site every 45 seconds roughly

Where in Carlow are you based? The met station at Oak Park is reading -7 which is half of your figure http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp. Seems very unusual to have such a large variation in a small county like Carlow

DeVore wrote: »
    My friend and I are going to take a midday Friday train to Westport... does anyone think there is going to be a problem as a result of this "polar low" ?

Any idea what its like there at the moment? (I'm looking towards Deep Easterly here :) )

DeV.

Nacho will be able to help you out there better than I can as he is in that locality. I would say though it is probably the same as here roughly. Some lying, powdery snow and very icy. So be careful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Well, even if the snow is confined to high ground, at least it will allow the Galway/Clare/Mayo hills, all of which I can see from my flatland location, to get another top up of snow which will only enhance their beauty. When the morning sun shines on them, that is when their magnificence is enhanced. If it does not snow here, at least I can get to witness it on the hills so far away. :)

's true
    I look straight out onto Maghera and it's been a picture since before Christmas.
    RTÉ mast spoils it a bit, but I do get a good telly picture....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

One for the experts, but, would snow sitting on top of a Stevenson screen affect the temps inside? I know to a certain degree snow can act as insulation? But would it affect the sensor inside?

Yes - it possible. I would clear it off it - as I did with my own tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Where in Carlow are you based? The met station at Oak Park is reading -7 which is half of your figure http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp. Seems very unusual to have such a large variation in a small county like Carlow

He's in Tullow i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

snow ghost wrote: »
    DeVore... Westport is sound at the moment... plenty of snow but all the pubs are open and the roads / paths to them are clear... but nice and white everywhere else.

This winter Westport as been a bit of a snow magnet - White Christmas, White New Years Eve... snow last nite and today... Croagh Patrick looks great (could almost ski down it)... bay half frozen... at the same time the Atlantic tends to melt it pretty quick, so we getting the best of both worlds... plenty of snow without the hassle. :)

Anyone looking for snow should take a trip down here... plenty of it and all running smoothly. ;)

i was thinking of taking a trip down there this weekend and climbing a bit of croagh patrick.

NE Carlow, The NRA station at Baltinglass reported -12.5c at 11pm and that is nearer at 10 miles away

as will i:o perhaps another rant will do the trick and we'll both see snow...:pac:

Come on Nacho, give it your best. Your rants are like a verbal magic wand, so I want a good, hard, bitter rant. Nacho style! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

DublinCelt thanks for the comment, yes it is accurate the 7" snow field is causing it the NRA station in Baltinglass was -10.7c at 10pm and Naas station is showing -12c as well it is 100% :)

Super! What an historical event. Cant believe the weather we have had this past three or so weeks.

Love this cold weather. (Even though this afternoon it took 4 hrs to drive Kilcoole-Carlow!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

M2 bouy was 2/-1°C at 23:00, dont think I have ever seen it colder.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Nacho libre, I think you could be seeing a share of that 4-6 cm snowfall in your part of Mayo, same with other west coast counties, it will be just in the coastal low elevations where there is likely to be a changeover to sleet.

Jenzz, I saw your earlier question, urban areas tend to have fairly uniform temperatures except for valleys and parks, the urban heat island effect spreads some warmth around fairly equally up to the suburban fringes actually, I've done some roaming temperature studies and seen changes of about 7 deg (C) over a few hundred metres near the edge of large towns in snow-covered clear weather. Also you find drops of 5 deg or more in valleys compared to slopes.

In general there is cloud overspreading from the north and reversing earlier temperature falls in the north, this will happen gradually later on in central areas, but I like the chances for the southeast to stay clear until sunrise and for some local readings in rural valleys to reach -15 C possibly.

Yours truly over and out, will be posting updated forecast around 0500 in the forecast thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Ooohh this is exciting ain't it? :D
    I have a Q tho ... I have the free accuweather app on my Itouch and it looks like a cool app but how do I get it to show degrees in celcius instead of farenheight?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

500th post:) Cold here just north of Cork city, 60m above sea level. No sign of precipitation. Clear skies. -4*C

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

ya dis be 501

• Advertisement

Nacho libre, I think you could be seeing a share of that 4-6 cm snowfall in your part of Mayo, same with other west coast counties, it will be just in the coastal low elevations where there is likely to be a changeover to sleet.

Jenzz, I saw your earlier question, urban areas tend to have fairly uniform temperatures except for valleys and parks, the urban heat island effect spreads some warmth around fairly equally up to the suburban fringes actually, I've done some roaming temperature studies and seen changes of about 7 deg (C) over a few hundred metres near the edge of large towns in snow-covered clear weather. Also you find drops of 5 deg or more in valleys compared to slopes.

In general there is cloud overspreading from the north and reversing earlier temperature falls in the north, this will happen gradually later on in central areas, but I like the chances for the southeast to stay clear until sunrise and for some local readings in rural valleys to reach -15 C possibly.

Yours truly over and out, will be posting updated forecast around 0500 in the forecast thread.
    -14.7c already MT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Danno wrote: »
    Yes - it possible. I would clear it off it - as I did with my own tonight.

Cheers Danno...............for making me have to go out into the cold!! :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

how accurate are those temps in carlow? Such variation in only a couple of miles in ireland doesn't sound right. I mean that's only a couple of degrees off the lowest ever temp here in the 1800's or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

go on Nacho. Give it your worst. Make it very negative too regarding tomorrow's weather prospects. Things can only get better then. By the way, name calling is only ok if you are insulting Cirrus clouds, Polar Lows, isobars, hectopascals, Jean Byrnes Dress sense or Man United fans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭scotchy

Newbie weather watcher here. Great thread.

Is the cloud moving down over northern Ireland anything to get excited about?

http://www.carlowweather.com/wxsat.php

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

how accurate are those temps in carlow? Such variation in only a couple of miles in ireland doesn't sound right. I mean that's only a couple of degrees off the lowest ever temp here in the 1800's or something
    NE Carlow, The NRA station at Baltinglass reported -12.5c at 11pm and that is nearer at 10 miles away

See above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Reading this thread makes me feel like crying, I want snow so bad:o

It's minus 5 here in Co Limerick, and we haven't seen so much as a snowflake today. Reading about what you lucky Easterners have got today has made me so jealous (but not begrudging ye lads and ladies). I can imagine that what is expected in the West tomorrow will miss us as well....

All I can think about is Snow (yeah, I know, I'm a big kid really)

When I go on Boards? - Snow
    Every status update on my Facebook? - Snow
    Sky News? - Snow
    RTE/TV3 News? - Snow
    The view when I open my front door? - Nothing but frost:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

According to the Met Eireann Site:

The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979. The lowest observed grass minimum temperature was -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982 which was almost matched by the -19.5°C measured at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979.

Certainly not too far off

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

I've been watching the temperature from that station in Tullow for a couple of weeks and I'm convinced its way out!! It's consistently displaying much colder temperatures than other nearby stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    go on Nacho. Give it your worst. Make it very negative too regarding tomorrow's weather prospects. Things can only get better then. By the way, name calling is only ok if you are insulting Cirrus clouds, Polar Lows, isobars, hectopascals, Jean Byrnes Dress sense or Man United fans

Those rants work! Worked for BB today and I managed to get a nice heavy snow shower after a few whiney posts. :pac:

The snowgods are listening...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement