Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Villain wrote: »
    -14.7c already MT

Hi Villian, what sort of geography is in your area? Are you in a frost hollow by any chance, that is, surrounded by higher altitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Rodar08 wrote: »
    Ooohh this is exciting ain't it? :D
    I have a Q tho ... I have the free accuweather app on my Itouch and it looks like a cool app but how do I get it to show degrees in celcius instead of farenheight?

Press the I button on the top right hand corner, then bottom toolbar gives you the options. Would take that app with a pinch of salt though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

-6 here in clonmel at the mo brrrr!!! Clear skies but the snow shower earlier has frozen over so not exactly safe driving conditions in the morning! Again!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Hi Villian, what sort of geography is in your area? Are you in a frost hollow by any chance, that is, surrounded by higher altitude?
    Hills to my East and one small local hill to my North with the Blackstairs to my South

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

i was thinking of taking a trip down there this weekend and climbing a bit of croagh patrick.

Check out the pics in this week's Mayo News of the Church on the summit nacho... snowmageddon!!! The reek is always a great climb in the snow... better footing than usual and a great view. :) Then there is the pubs... quieter than usual with the recession, but still almost 70 of them in a town of 5,500... cant go wrong... and as I said earlier it seems westport is a snow magnet this year... we been getting everything ;)

• Advertisement

i was thinking of taking a trip down there this weekend and climbing a bit of croagh patrick.

If you go, please don't forget your camera. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Amazing times. -12.5c air temperature at Baltinglass (nra.ie). -10.8c on the Newbridge Bypass. Can anyone recall the all time national low? I see the midnight report for Casement is -8c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Reading this thread makes me feel like crying, I want snow so bad:o

It's minus 5 here in Co Limerick, and we haven't seen so much as a snowflake today. Reading about what you lucky Easterners have got today has made me so jealous (but not begrudging ye lads and ladies). I can imagine that what is expected in the West tomorrow will miss us as well....

All I can think about is Snow (yeah, I know, I'm a big kid really)

When I go on Boards? - Snow
    Every status update on my Facebook? - Snow
    Sky News? - Snow
    RTE/TV3 News? - Snow
    The view when I open my front door? - Nothing but frost:mad:

Tomorrow very well could be your day Rainbow, especially if you are anyway elevated and/or far enough away from that bloody high temp loving estuary.

Villian.....just got that pic you emailed me of your thermometer
    005Chap4image024a.jpg

Joke:p I'm off to bed all. My turn to feed the baby. Nite nite

Rackstar wrote: »
    I've been watching the temperature from that station in Tullow for a couple of weeks and I'm convinced its way out!! It's consistently displaying much colder temperatures than other nearby stations.

Comparing to what station? Oak park in Carlow, that is on the outskirts of a large Urban area.

As I keep saying the nearest station to me is the NRA one at Baltinglass and that was -12.5c at 11pm.

My Station is a 11 month old Davis Pro 2 Plus with 24 FARS, its accurate trust me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Some places are colder than other nearby places.

I would say it is quite accurate, Baltinglass was -12.5C near two hours ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers Danno...............for making me have to go out into the cold!! :p;)

Can your weather station upload to the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

how accurate are those temps in carlow? Such variation in only a couple of miles in ireland doesn't sound right. I mean that's only a couple of degrees off the lowest ever temp here in the 1800's or something
    Villain has a Davis Vantage pro station, which is pretty much the most accurate weather station available to the private market.
    Think about it, what conditions would have ever caused the state minimum? - must be inland, over snow and after a prolonged cold snap - thats Carlow described exactly right now.
    In clear still conditions temperatures vary massively, I see it every night driving home here. Villain must be located in an area with the right soil, with still air and probably in a slight hollow. I would rather my sneachta insanity and mild -3.5°C than that to be honest..but i am a little jealous, I have never experienced such cold!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Just for the lazy people who can't be bothered, here's the link for the NRA temps

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Which tallies with Villain's temps.

Comparing to what station? Oak park in Carlow, that is on the outskirts of a large Urban area.

As I keep saying the nearest station to me is the NRA one at Baltinglass and that was -12.5c at 11pm.

My Station is a 11 month old Davis Pro 2 Plus with 24 FARS, its accurate trust me

Yes I've been to Oak park, not a rural location.

I bet if we had our old Kilkenny Met station working the temperatures would be far lower than Oak Park, given it is like a saucer, the hollow in the middle.with the hills all around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

When something like this happens you will always get people who doubt you!!! It does seem strange to some people, but oak park is a joke, half amateur job, met eireann moved there from kilkenny cos the kilkenny site was too built up and there was already some bit of a teagasc set up there already. Your place, baltinglass and M7 newbridge (not too far away) can't all be wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Danno wrote: »
    Can your weather station upload to the internet?

I suppose it could, I never really looked into it. Its a WS3200, it has the old serial port connection and the software only seems to work with XP, wont work with Vista, although I havent tried it with Windows 7 yet. Dont you need it hooked up to a computer full time? I'm on a laptop that gets carted about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Tomorrow very well could be your day Rainbow, especially if you are anyway elevated and/or far enough away from that bloody high temp loving estuary.

Villian.....just got that pic you emailed me of your thermometer
    005Chap4image024a.jpg

Joke:p I'm off to bed all. My turn to feed the baby. Nite nite

Please God, I hope your right Mr Wolfe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »
    I would rather my sneachta insanity and mild -3.5°C than that to be honest..but i am a little jealous, I have never experienced such cold!!

Not me, give me the real cold, which frosts bring (snow is a bonus though). being outside in temps below -6c is an experience. The lower the temp falls, the less cold it feels. The air becomes zapped of humidity or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Villain that temp is crazy! When i used to have to go into the freezer in work it was -15 to -25 when the fan was on but even at -15 the hairs in my nose froze when i inhaled!! Not very comfortable temperatures to be in at all.

Meanwhile back in wexford still covered in snow cold outside but not that cold, We were having showers just up until 6 or 7 maybe? So a good 3 inches still outside. Roads are literally like ice rinks and that is not an analogy.

Went up to the golf course with a few friends today with vote no lisbon signs found the biggest hill we could and slid down em best laugh i've had in a long time! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

was worried it was stuck at -14.7 but we have -14.8 for tullow - never thought I'd develop such an interest in the weather but i'm hooked - well done villain and all other contributors for the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    Yes I've been to Oak park, not a rural location.

I bet if we had our old Kilkenny Met station working the temperatures would be far lower than Oak Park, given it is like a saucer, the hollow in the middle.with the hills all around.

correction: used to be ahollow in the middle with hills all around, now its a hollow in the middle with Housing estates all around!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I suppose it could, I never really looked into it. Its a WS3200, it has the old serial port connection and the software only seems to work with XP, wont work with Vista, although I havent tried it with Windows 7 yet. Dont you need it hooked up to a computer full time? I'm on a laptop that gets carted about :o

Do you have the software that came with the weather station?

Station Graph
    curr24hourgraph.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I was in -15 (if I remember right) in Belfast about 12 years ago, they had an exceptional cold snap there one December/January around that time. It was interesting, but I wasn't able to stay out for long - my face started to hurt.

I have also been in -20C with 20mph winds - Boston, USA in 1993, January (they had a really bad winter that year) (so it felt like -40C all told). That was deeply unpleasant. Every time a weather alert came on, there was a warning to cover your face, neck and hands to prevent frostbite and to never, never touch metal (such as car doors) with bare hands, for fear of tearing off layers of skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Laducar wrote: »
    Press the I button on the top right hand corner, then bottom toolbar gives you the options. Would take that app with a pinch of salt though

Thanks Laducar, yeah it's reading -4 and giving snow basically all night which I don't think is on the cards for me in north donegal. The app that comes preinstalled is reading -6 but that's be up and down all night too. ;)

Go on the Villain :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Not me, give me the real cold, which frosts bring (snow is a bonus though). being outside in temps below -6c is an experience. The lower the temp falls, the less cold it feels. The air becomes zapped of humidity or something.

you say that but have you ever experienced a temperature of -30 in a near gale force wind. i have, and despite having two winter jumpers on, and a big winter coat with a scarf, i was still chilled to the bone.

wind annometer is frozen in place

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

"Regarding extremes, the highest air temperature recorded in Ireland was + 33.3°C at Kilkenny Castle 26th June 1887. The record maximum during the 20th century is +32.5°C at Boora, Co. Offaly on 29th June 1976. The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979. The lowest observed grass minimum temperature was -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982 which was almost matched by the -19.5°C measured at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979." www.met.ie

We're not even near the coldest part of the night yet. Go on Carlow!

• Advertisement

correction: used to be ahollow in the middle with hills all around, now its a hollow in the middle with Housing estates all around!!!

True.

No offense to Carlow town, you look like you will never make the news with Oak Park.

We lost some really good official weather stations. Kilkenny, Birr, Clones, Rosslare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement