Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Supercell wrote: »
    Villain has a Davis Vantage pro station, which is pretty much the most accurate weather station available to the private market.
    Think about it, what conditions would have ever caused the state minimum? - must be inland, over snow and after a prolonged cold snap - thats Carlow described exactly right now.
    In clear still conditions temperatures vary massively, I see it every night driving home here. Villain must be located in an area with the right soil, with still air and probably in a slight hollow. I would rather my sneachta insanity and mild -3.5°C than that to be honest..but i am a little jealous, I have never experienced such cold!!

Ah i was just curious. I spent my teens in montana and temps would differ greatly within a few miles. Never noticed it to that degree in ireland though. Once it's in the minus figures i dont really notice a difference in the cold. I've regularly been in -25 and higher and it feels just as cold as -5. But when i was in antarctica it was -51.7 and you could feel the effects on your body. Balance and motor skills go out the window. Quite the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Danno wrote: »
    Do you have the software that came with the weather station?

Yep I have that, 'HeavyWeather' I believe its called.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

When something like this happens you will always get people who doubt you!!! It does seem strange to some people, but oak park is a joke, half amateur job, met eireann moved there from kilkenny cos the kilkenny site was too built up and there was already some bit of a teagasc set up there already. Your place, baltinglass and M7 newbridge (not too far away) can't all be wrong!!!

You can see the difference , with the urban areas even on the Newbridge readings.

The NRA station is on the N7 road (Newbridge Bypass) as of 23.10 it was reporting temps of -10.8c

The weather station I use is based at someone's house and as of 23.45 it was giving a reading of -6.7c

http://homepage.eircom.net/~osprey/
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

you say that but have you ever experienced a temperature of -30 in a near gale force wind. i have, and despite having two winter jumpers on, and a big winter coat with a scarf, i was still chilled to the bone.

Yes, you are right Nacho. But for some sadistic reason, I love super cold, super dry, super windy weather. It just brings out the best in me for some reason. I can't explain my madness, but there you go. The same for dry windy warm weather, I just love it. :)

Edit: temps around our frozen isle at the moment:

101300.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

If ashford and Malin head would cool down a little the entire country would be sub zero!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Not me, give me the real cold, which frosts bring (snow is a bonus though). being outside in temps below -6c is an experience. The lower the temp falls, the less cold it feels. The air becomes zapped of humidity or something.

Heh, cold is nice, snow is nicer..I know which i prefer:)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes, you are right Nacho. But for some sadistic reason, I love super cold, super dry, super windy weather. It just brings out the best in me for some reason. I can't explain my madness, but there you go. The same for dry windy warm weather, I just love it. :)

i can it's because you're from tuam:pac:

Heh, cold is nice, snow is nicer..I know which i prefer:)

I would prefer a combination of both. But some of the intense frosts here have been as good as snow. So I'll make do for now.

i can it's because you're from tuam:pac:

Ha ha! :D

But isn't Tuam just great? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

jasus I go to make cuppa come back and there is 3 pages yis are fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Im off for a few hours sleep. Nite all. Look forward to yer comments before i go to work. What time is the precip due to arrive in the west?

fintonie wrote: »
    jasus I go to make cuppa come back and there is 3 pages yis are fast

Maybe your kettle is slow???:D

a sharp frost is most welcome by me when we've had a decent snowfall. i mean just before christmas it was great to see everywhere white, even on the trees- which usually lose their snow by day. also, the sky was like what you'd see in much colder climates. it was fantastic really.

Ha ha! :D

But isn't Tuam just great? :)

the great thing about tuam is the bypass to get you the hell out of there:pac:

If ashford and Malin head would cool down a little the entire country would be sub zero!!!

The Cork langers are around 6°C, party poopers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No they're not, the highest in cork is 0.

Maybe thats the M3 buoy???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Really? Cork Airport is at -3c and Roches Point is 0c.

The M2 buoy is saying east wind, yet the precip in the irish sea is going south.

Am I missing something???

:confused:

the great thing about tuam is the bypass to get you the hell out of there:pac:

Nacho, you insult my town. Gonna send up a gang of "da bhoys" to sort you out! :D:D:D. Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

GFS has the lows precip making a direct hit in a line from sligo to cork. An upgrade me thinks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-15c hit, I'm off to the leaba now, enjoy the watch people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

Tullow showing -15 at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The M2 buoy is saying east wind, yet the precip in the irish sea is going south.

Am I missing something???

:confused:

You are :p

Its showing 340 which is NNW

DP has also risen to 0.8c and air temp 4.2 c

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

looks like you have the coldest place in the UK, nice:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Met Eireann 0100 reports in. Look at Carlow.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

looks like you have the coldest place in the UK aswell as ireland, nice:D

FYP

Jesus Lad edit that to Ireland !

You could get you head taken off on here for calling Ireland Part of the UK :pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

god damn it. Had to log back on to respond to this. I don;t think i even need to say it. Maybe this will do...
    geographybieimage1.jpg

• Advertisement

linguist wrote: »
    Really? Cork Airport is at -3c and Roches Point is 0c.

I was going by the IRWN which shows the Cork Baltimore station at 6.2°C
    I just checked out the website though and its not updating since Dec 26th so the IRWN reading is not correct.
    It really is an icy Ireland tonight except in Donegal (Ashford is sub zero now too)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement