Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

looks like you have the coldest place in the UK, nice:D

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Instant ban please.......some sort of sick joke:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Supercell wrote: »
    I was going by the IRWN which shows the Cork Baltimore station at 6.2°C
    I just checked out the website though and its not updating since Dec 26th so the IRWN reading is not correct.
    It really is an icy Ireland tonight except in Donegal (Ashford is sub zero now too)

not quite, ashford at 0.4, although dropping rapidly. Malin not moving though . . .:( little fe*kers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

The irony here is that the Isle of Man is not actually in the UK either. Does it trouble anyone else that so many people in this world are ignorant of our status as a sovereign nation as we edge close to the centenary of the Easter Rising. OK, I know I'm off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Had a great day in the snow.
    Didint get to build my snowman as the snow was to dry to stic together????
    It is like powder!!!
    5 inches of snow
    temp -4
    dp -6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

sorry coldest place in the Ireland and the uk, is that better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    god damn it. Had to log back on to respond to this. I don;t think i even need to say it. Maybe this will do...
    geographybieimage1.jpg

or one of these

%7BEA2D78C5-CF97-40F1-A87F-65701C0C4C6A%7DImg100.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    god damn it. Had to log back on to respond to this. I don;t think i even need to say it. Maybe this will do...
    geographybieimage1.jpg

I hope our militant snowman did not see the UK post. He will not be pleased! :pac::pac:

:cool::cool::confused::confused::confused::(:(:mad::mad::mad::eek::eek::eek::eek:

need i say more?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

N81 Baltinglass -15

N7 Newbridge -11.2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

linguist wrote: »
    Met Eireann 0100 reports in. Look at Carlow.

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Oh that is weird, im in carlow. Just went outside to check road and cold, to me it wasnt as cold as 7ish. Shows how much I know...

NRA reports for 0100. Baltinglass at -15c! Is that a rise in temperature for Monaghan?

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

I'm just about to hit -7c righttttttt...................................now! :p

sc35b.jpg

Now read that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

N81 Baltinglass Jan 07, 01:00 -15.0° C.

Seems not just my station lads does this give mine more credability to those doubters??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

What a day...

I leave the forum to go about my day (1.30pm) and what happens when I set foot outside but a good 15 minutes of very heavy hail with thunder as I traversed O'Connell st. Thunder that many people scattered around Dublin heard, from people I was talking to and by the looks of boards too!

I ended up travelling out to North Co. Dublin today. I have never seen the likes of traffic, and this was despite using the port tunnel! It took me an hour to travel a single mile. Though I saw some of the dry zone that WC experienced after the airport, as the snow past swords and lissenhall was patchy or else the roads were dry full stop. Reappeared closer to Balbriggan. Proper snow there, not so much a thick cover of hail.

The snow depths in Tullow and around Wicklow are amazing. It's something truly special to experience. That's even a bit more than the streamer I experienced this time 2 years ago, and that was some amount to look at.

Now, here's to a bus service that will work in the morning when it is actually safe to do so and a good heavy dumping this weekend that everyone in the east can enjoy.

Most importantly, there are going to be elderly people who will end up being cold out of fear of energy bills. If you know someone in the area who is stuck for mobility and might need food or meds etc, do call in to see how things are. If you don't, well keep an eye out for anyone who might need a hand crossing a road. Small gestures do count too, and my experience of dublin today was that road crossings were the slippiest surface with all the compressed slush.

And I don't want any of the weather forum's fine posters to go out falling a bit too hard for their own good while making snowmen:D

Our snowman is not amused:

4252261070_845829c8e5.jpg

I suggest getting some peace talks organized straight away!. Our snowman does not feck around. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

Villain wrote: »
    N81 Baltinglass Jan 07, 01:00 -15.0° C.

Seems not just my station lads does this give mine more credability to those doubters??

we believe you - just can't stay awake any longer - will check back in morning to see the low :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

-12.4c here in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Have a relative based in Tullow 3 miles Baltinglass side of the town, he is not online, was just talking to him on the phone and he says he has never felt such a cold evening in his living memory and he is 76 years of age. He reckons it will be one of the coldest nights ever experienced was telling me of a few different signs that can be watched for, old wives tales if you catch my drift.

Guys also just a quick note please if any if you have elderly neighbours or know of elderly people living alone, it would do no harm just to check on them and see if they are ok. If it really becomes the coldest night in recent history alot of people could be in trouble.

I dropped in on an elderly lady earlier that lives in cottages down the end of my estate, i've never spoken 2 words to her in all my life but was aware she lived alone. She has been sitting in the cold with no fuel or Gas for the past 48 hours. I went and got her some coal and briquttes and 2 bottles of Gas for her super ser, hate to think if i didn't drop in what might have been. And this was in Dublin.

Back to the weather keep up the good work lads and loving the snow here in Tallaght, kids had a ball all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Check out the image below :-

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=4&sat=ir

There is a circulation to the north moving direcly south and a circulation to the east of Enland moving directly west, have never ever seen the likes. The current weather is very special to say the least.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Tullow has dropped nearly 4 degrees in an hour and a half, and with roughly 6 hours to go til it clouds over, if it was to drop at a quarter of that rate , you'd still be looking at a record breaker.

Also, baltinglass is catching up, might it pass you out villain???
    :D

Our snowman is not amused:

4252261070_845829c8e5.jpg

I suggest getting some peace talks organized straight away!. Our snowman does not feck around. :D:D:D

I heard he was cold hearted alright, he'd give you that icy stare and was well known for giving people the cold shoulder!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Road temps

N81 Baltinglass : -7.7

N7 Newbridge : -8.5

Even after these roads have been gritted , are they not just going to freeze over straight away with ground temp that low ? Never mind the -15 and -11.2 air temps

What's the current temperature in Tullow again?

There is a circulation to the north moving direcly south and a circulation to the east of Enland moving directly west, have never ever seen the likes. The current weather is very special to say the least.

Indeed, we will look back on this in years to come and pine and long for something similar. So lets absorb as much of it as we can to have it etched in our memories so we can say that we lived through one of the coldest periods in living memory.

Check out the image below :-

Imagine they collided bang over ireland!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-15.2c in Tullow and very possible Baltinglass could be lower than me at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

Anyone know if there will be snow in north kk?

• Advertisement

Have a relative based in Tullow 3 miles Baltinglass side of the town, he is not online, was just talking to him on the phone and he says he has never felt such a cold evening in his living memory and he is 76 years of age. He reckons it will be one of the coldest nights ever experienced was telling me of a few different signs that can be watched for, old wives tales if you catch my drift.

Guys also just a quick note please if any if you have elderly neighbours or know of elderly people living alone, it would do no harm just to check on them and see if they are ok. If it really becomes the coldest night in recent history alot of people could be in trouble.

I dropped in on an elderly lady earlier that lives in cottages down the end of my estate, i've never spoken 2 words to her in all my life but was aware she lived alone. She has been sitting in the cold with no fuel or Gas for the past 48 hours. I went and got her some coal and briquttes and 2 bottles of Gas for her super ser, hate to think if i didn't drop in what might have been. And this was in Dublin.

Back to the weather keep up the good work lads and loving the snow here in Tallaght, kids had a ball all day.

Jaysus the poor divil! Fair play to you!!! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement