Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Id well believe it, just checked met eireann and they had this

OAK PARK CARLOW(A) N 03 MIST -9 95 0.0 101
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Th seagulls and crows are out flying around at this time of night... snowmageddon in Mayo tomorrow without a doubt... I see a bad moon arising... I see trouble on the way :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Well Done poker Face impressed with you good samaritian spirit...this prolonged bad weather has gone beyond a joke and having a lark in the snow for those fit enough to enjoy it ... it really could become a matter of life and death to those on the margins of society , and with the mercury falling all I can say is God Help any poor soul sleeping rough tonight ....PokerFace Fair Play I salute you :-)

Have a relative based in Tullow 3 miles Baltinglass side of the town, he is not online, was just talking to him on the phone and he says he has never felt such a cold evening in his living memory and he is 76 years of age. He reckons it will be one of the coldest nights ever experienced was telling me of a few different signs that can be watched for, old wives tales if you catch my drift.

Guys also just a quick note please if any if you have elderly neighbours or know of elderly people living alone, it would do no harm just to check on them and see if they are ok. If it really becomes the coldest night in recent history alot of people could be in trouble.

I dropped in on an elderly lady earlier that lives in cottages down the end of my estate, i've never spoken 2 words to her in all my life but was aware she lived alone. She has been sitting in the cold with no fuel or Gas for the past 48 hours. I went and got her some coal and briquttes and 2 bottles of Gas for her super ser, hate to think if i didn't drop in what might have been. And this was in Dublin.

Back to the weather keep up the good work lads and loving the snow here in Tallaght, kids had a ball all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

-15.2, thanks Villian, hope you got the thermals on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Have a relative based in Tullow 3 miles Baltinglass side of the town, he is not online, was just talking to him on the phone and he says he has never felt such a cold evening in his living memory and he is 76 years of age. He reckons it will be one of the coldest nights ever experienced was telling me of a few different signs that can be watched for, old wives tales if you catch my drift.

Guys also just a quick note please if any if you have elderly neighbours or know of elderly people living alone, it would do no harm just to check on them and see if they are ok. If it really becomes the coldest night in recent history alot of people could be in trouble.

I dropped in on an elderly lady earlier that lives in cottages down the end of my estate, i've never spoken 2 words to her in all my life but was aware she lived alone. She has been sitting in the cold with no fuel or Gas for the past 48 hours. I went and got her some coal and briquttes and 2 bottles of Gas for her super ser, hate to think if i didn't drop in what might have been. And this was in Dublin.

Back to the weather keep up the good work lads and loving the snow here in Tallaght, kids had a ball all day.

Fair play to you my friend. :) nice one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

fair play and your right there will be plenty of elderly people out there hoping someone calls to see if there ok.

its a very tough time for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

my low so far here in Naas is -12.4c now risen to a balmy -11.7c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-15.2, thanks Villian, hope you got the thermals on.
    Electric blanket will be staying on all night, right thats it I'm off to bed

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

pad199207 wrote: »
    my low so far here in Naas is -12.4c now risen to a balmy -11.7c

I feel a barbeque coming on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Ok, I think I'll head on too...Morning Ireland and Livedrive will make for interesting listening in the morning.

• Advertisement

linguist wrote: »
    I feel a barbeque coming on:)

lol ye cant wait when you go outside your breath just cuts short ive never been in this type of cold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Just finished bottle feed for my little baby. Was going to log off comp and decided to have a look at latest ensembles. Take a look at the precip chart for the GEFS precip for Sunday and next week

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&code=0&mode=2&runpara=0

The lines mean snow. All models indicate something very significant next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Just finished bottle feed for my little baby. Was going to log off comp and decided to have a look at latest ensembles. Take a look at the precip chart for the GEFS precip for Sunday and next week

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs_cartes.php?ech=0&code=0&mode=2&runpara=0

The lines mean snow. All models indicate something very significant next week.

Lot of lines there! :eek:

-7.4c now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

As I said a few posts back: even if you don't know of any elderly/reduced mobility living in your area, keep an eye out for those with impaired walking or on a walking stick if they're crossing a road. In dublin, road crossings are treacherous from compacted slush which will be frozen for most of tomorrow. I'd say it's similar in many areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

off to sleep. night all. don't forget to feed the birds, call on the neighbours etc etc :D

on second thoughts, i might get a second hot water bottle before i go to sleep:D

oh yes its lethal here in Naas the town was almost closed off at one point the gards wasnt letting cars into the town at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

When all this melts.....its gonna be crazy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

Villain wrote: »
    Electric blanket will be staying on all night, right thats it I'm off to bed

cheers Villain have a good one thanks for all the updates and info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Well, I'm gonna make like an Ice Hockey player and get the puck out of here;)

Thanks all for a very entertaining thread today...... Hopefully tomorrow will bring something for us snow-starved County Limerick people.

Night everyone, stay warm x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Indeed, we will look back on this in years to come and pine and long for something similar. So lets absorb as much of it as we can to have it etched in our memories so we can say that we lived through one of the coldest periods in living memory.

I'll have no problem remembering it - I'll still be paying off the gas bill :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Now -8.2c here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

:confused:weve gone warm temp up to .1:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Danno wrote: »
    Now -8.2c here.

pfffffffft ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

keep an eye out for those with impaired walking or on a walking stick if they're crossing a road. In dublin, road crossings are treacherous from compacted slush which will be frozen for most of tomorrow. I'd say it's similar in many areas.

Well said and appreciated

My mrs (relatively young) has not been outside the house since this spell started except once on Crimbo night when we used her wheelchair to get to neighbours two doors down for a party and the following day when there was no ice.

People with limited mobility are scared out of their wits by these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

bassy wrote: »
    Anyone know if there will be snow in north kk?

Any snow in north kk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

We got snizzle on North coast -

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

We haven't seen any major snow in mallow town yet this cold spell:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Slight N KK snow chance tomorrow - 10%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

bassy wrote: »
    Any snow in north kk
    there was inch and a half today, its still on the roads, main roads are really bad,, back roads are impossible for my rear wheel drive car at least,,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭revr

It is -16.4 in Ballynure in County Antrim up North! And they lower than sea level! Always freezin round Ballynure wasn't expectin that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement