Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Tomorrow Looks good for Mallow if that stuff skirting down the west coast comes inland a bit. Fingers crossed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

[PHP][/PHP]
    alo1587 wrote: »
    We haven't seen any major snow in mallow town yet this cold spell:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

revr wrote: »
    It is -16.4 in Ballynure in County Antrim up North! And they lower than sea level! Always freezin round Ballynure wasn't expectin that

getting close to that record

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

It is -16.4 in Ballynure in County Antrim up North! And they lower than sea level! Always freezin round Ballynure wasn't expectin that

Any snow in last 2 hours in Antrim?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Is that data online? If not, describe the station please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Dublin Airport Air Traffic Control live feed is back up... Unfortunately airport is shut 'til the morning!

http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international

EDIT: Or so I thought, plane just given vectors for landing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RANDOM MESSAGE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THREAD.

there we go.

icy here btw. a light dusting of snow. im freezing. night all

EDIT: Thermo says -9

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gefs...de=2&runpara=0

The lines mean snow. All models indicate something very significant next week.

These charts have snow from 72 hours right through to 180 hours if this is even half accurate we will be buried in snow next week.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

kakee wrote: »

These charts have snow from 72 hours right through to 180 hours if this is even half accurate we will be buried in snow next week.:D:D

If those charts came off it would be total lockdown for the country were finding it hard to deal with 3 inches off a few showers from the irish sea i can only imagine what it would be like. Didn't think i'd ever say this but that is too much snow.

1982 anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Dublin Airport Air Traffic Control live feed is back up... Unfortunately airport is shut 'til the morning!

http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=international

Hi Darragh well what did you think of that nice dumping of snow we got today up here. Kiltipper way is in a bad way all the way up to ellensborough, if your out in the morning take it extremly handy. Seen a BMW520 slide from the roundabout at the Eurospar most the way down the hill to an aburpt stop via a lampost on the bend opposite the school in Aylesbury at about 10pm.

baraca wrote: »
    If those charts came off it would be total lockdown for the country were finding it hard to deal with 3 inches off a few showers from the irish sea i can only imagine what it would be like. Didn't think i'd ever say this but that is too much snow.

1982 anyone?

was it not 1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

baraca wrote: »

1982 anyone?

You can never have too much snow. The weekend is going to be spectacular hope this bloody country gets its self prepeared for it as it seems 100% certain its going to happen.

Would love to see what the experts on here have to say about it, they have been spot on the last few weeks.

You can never have too much snow. The weekend is going to be spectacular hope this bloody country gets its self prepeared for it as it seems 100% certain its going to happen.

Would love to see what the experts on here have to say about it, they have been spot on the last few weeks.

from what they were saying today it may not happen but like was said if it does it could be bad.

a lot can happen before then if a butterfly flaps its wings in Africa the whole thing could change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

-7.8c here now.

Villain is reading -14.4c now, a rise from -15.2c at 1.36am......he'll be sweating at that rate, kicking off the bedsheets! :p

any more readings on the low side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

-7.8c here now.

Villain is reading -14.4c now, a rise from -15.2c at 1.36am......he'll be sweating at that rate, kicking off the bedsheets! :p

Gone up to -4.3 here

soccerc wrote: »
    Gone up to -4.3 here

jasus its an indian winter

Some Carlow temps:

I'm -8.1c, I'm in Carlow town.
    Brother in Milford has -10c.
    Oak Park is -11c
    Villain has -15.1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

fintonie wrote: »
    jasus its an indian winter

It's now gone up to a blistering -2.9?

-8.2c now with me and time for the leaba! The oil burner has just kicked in automatically, the low temp guage thingy must have kicked in, obviously its set to -8c, first time its ever had to do that I think! :p

Villian is just .1c of -16!!!!!! another 3.1c to go to break the record and the coldest temps arent until sunrise, still time!! :D Carlow for the record!!

there saying in England the cold snap could last for the next 4 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: -9.5 °C
    Dew Point: -10.2 °C

No more snow, yet.

It's bloody cold. Brrrr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

Got down to -7.3 ºC in Colpe Cross near Drogheda, now -5.1 ºC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

The 0500 NRA data for Abbeyfeale shows air temp of -8 deg C and a road temp of -7.8 deg C. Pretty cold. Must try and get an elevation for that station on my travels.

The 0600 NRA data shows a slight improvement with an air temp of -7.6deg C but a road temp with no change of -7,8deg C.

Charleville shows air temp - 5.1deg C and a road temp of -6deg C. That station is not at significent elevation either.

Looking at the data in general it seems to have been a cold night in general.

Will be heading off out in a few mins :( Now where did I put my thermal knickers......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Latest forecast from ME:

Scattered snow showers in the north and west today, with more prolonged outbreaks of snow likely later in western parts of Connaught and Munster. Elsewhere, dry with sunny spells but patches of freezing fog persisting locally. Highest temperatures -2 to +3 degrees Celsius, with widespread ice and lying snow. Light to moderate, northwest winds will slacken steadily.

Tonight
    Snow showers or longer outbreaks of snow in the west and north will die out early tonight and skies will clear generally. However, a few snow showers may appear later along eastern coasts. With no more than light, north to northeast breezes temperatures will fall to between -5 and -11 degrees Celsius and severe or very severe ground frost will set in, together with some freezing fog.

Tomorrow
    On Friday, occasional snow showers will affect eastern coastal counties but the rest of the country will be dry with sunny spells. Winds will be light to moderate, northeasterly and it will remain bitterly cold, with frost, ice and patches of freezing fog persisting. Highest temperatures -3 to +3 degrees Celsius.

Outlook
    On Friday night, occasional snow showers will persist in eastern coastal counties but the rest of the country will be dry with clear spells; severe or very severe ground frost will occur, along with widespread ice and some freezing fog patches. Eastern coastal counties will have further wintry showers during Saturday, many of them falling as snow inland from the Irish Sea. Other areas will be dry with sunny spells but extensive frost and ice will persist, together with local fog; winds will be light to moderate, northeasterly. Saturday night will see little change in wind or shower distribution but widespread severe or very severe ground frost will return; ice and freezing fog patches will be an ongoing problem. The overall northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday, with fresher breezes near some exposed coasts; occasional light showers of a wintry nature will continue to affect eastern coastal counties and perhaps part of the north coast also. Some thawing of lying snow and ice may occur in eastern areas during the daytime but most places will remain bitterly cold and ice-bound. Wintry showers will persist overnight in eastern counties, with snow accumulating again in places; longer outbreaks of rain, sleet and perhaps snow will develop in coastal counties of the south also as freshening, easterly winds set in generally. This precipitation distribution will persist through Monday also, with areas other than the east and south staying mainly dry and bright. Despite a slight rise in temperatures, it will feel still feel bitterly cold in the fresh, easterly wind.

A long one! Looks like cold for the forseeable and snow showers returning to the east from tonight onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They seem totally out of their depth, WolfIre.

And it is there that the danger lies. We expect "the authorities" to work. And they don't.

I have been reading these threads for weeks; and am delightd at the stalwart efforts by folk who have long known that it is up to them; the "if you want a job doing, do it yourself.." Women who spend hours with salt and grit and ashes so that the oil tanker can get in.. the man who cared enough to make a dangerous journey up here.

Neighbours who bring supplies in for others.

God reward them.

There has been fresh snow in the night here. And the cold is intense now;; frozen to the ground. Hurt to breathe until I got the room warm a little.

My methods of guessing temps are from the effect.. OH: cat has just come in covered in snow..

Yesterday they were using tractors.

I feel like phoning Finner myself!!!!! The govt should have that weeks ago.. Or sought help from other EU countries who are used to this.

There is no excuse.

Maybe now Dublin is badly hit?

But today I will phone my pharmacy in Donegal Town; they have my prescription.. see what they suggest.. I am curious ! And not desperate yet by any means. I also know a farmer family near town..
    Who will simply not have realised how bad it is so near town. I am loathe to do that . He will be deep in sheep there, but he helped me move house. And they are near a main road.

Supplies are holding out; I had 12 litres of milk; UHT and frozen. Still have seven. I am used to isolation...

Still even have some chocolate left!! Treats matter at these times.

And spring cleaning the cupboards is always good.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Everyone in the country is affected by the weather, some (like Graces7) worse that others. If and when the grit or rock salt runs out we will be driving on ice rinks. The Dept of environment, heritage and local government, which looks after our councils, along with the dept of transport have still not come to the aid of county councils who are short of funds to pay for fresh supplies of grit.

For example, 3500 tons arrived in cork today and another 3500 is due to arrive in limerick tomorrow. No more then until next tuesday!!! 7000 tonnes for the country until then?

Was laughable today to see a statement from the dept of environment saying: " The Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has[font=&quot] today brought in a temporary closure of the hunting season for waterfowldue to the continuing freezing conditions across the State. Dr Ciaran O*Keeffe, Director of the National Parks and Wildlife Service of the Department said *These birds depend on lakes, ponds, reed beds and marshy ground to find food, shelter and refuge, but these are now frozen and have been since mid December...."[/font]

[font=&quot]This was followed up by the dept of transport: "[/font] [font=&quot]The Department would like to acknowledge the excellent work of all local authorities over recent weeks in mitigating the impact of the severe cold weather on the road network and in particular, the unremitting efforts of road workers to ensure, as far as possible, that national and other priority roads are salted/gritted in their area. [/font][font=&quot]The Department fully understands that the prolonged severe weather will have a significant impact on maintenance budgets and have separately requested information on costs and other details of gritting operations. The information supplied by local authorities will help us assess the overall situation.[/font][font=&quot]The ongoing efforts of all road authorities are appreciated.[/font][font=&quot]"[/font]

[font=&quot]:mad::mad::mad:[/font]
    [font=&quot]Grit supplies are running out and will run out. Then there will be a national emergency where nobody can travel. Last thing our economy needs.[/font]

[font=&quot]Rant over![/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

temps on the rise here, peaked at -8.9c now a modest -5.9c. Seems to be due to cloud cover.

ME just announced on the radio temps dropped to -8c last night? Do they look at their data? Im sure one of their stations in Tullow is recording -15c?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

snaps wrote: »
    temps on the rise here, peaked at -8.9c now a modest -5.9c. Seems to be due to cloud cover.

ME just announced on the radio temps dropped to -8c last night? Do they look at their data? Im sure one of their stations in Tullow is recording -15c?

The one your thinking of, in Tullow, is a private station - Villain's (member here) - and temp there fell to -16.1c :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

DOCARCH wrote: »
    The one your thinking of, in Tullow, is a private station - Villain's (member here) - and temp there fell to -16.1c :eek:

Lowest official reading was -12.0c at Oak Park last night (this is up to 6am, so could well fall lower over the next hour or so).

You give us the money and we will do that.

OK?

OK!

And in these conditions even that would hardly avail.

No one is... your language!- going on re a "nanny state".

We pay taxes for services; roads included.

And we pay ministers etc very highly.

Ditto for health care; in may areas drs and ambulances and fire trucks cannot get through.

So start thinking please!
    copacetic wrote: »
    Agreed, all this crapping on about the nanny state looking after you. Why don't all these people have winter tyres, 4 wheel drive, studded tyres, snow chains, skidoos etc etc?

• Advertisement

Ah yes; we got that one!!!:D
    he did for donegal but just the odd one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement