Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

snaps wrote: »
    temps on the rise here, peaked at -8.9c now a modest -5.9c. Seems to be due to cloud cover.

Only got down to -7.1c here snaps. Currently at -6.2c, which is 3 degrees cooler than what Claremorris is showing at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jaqui; I upload mine to my weblog, as a draft post, then copy/paste them.

If you need help, email them to me and I will do that gladly.

anchoresscj at yahoo dot com

Jake1 wrote: »
    Id like to post a few pics, could someone either tell me or point me in direction of where to learn?
    Thanks very much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Villain is heading downwards again. -14.9. I'm about 8 miles from Villain's location and I'm heading down again also -12.4c before 7.00am now -12.6c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

bloody hell -17c in benson in the south east (uk) well its -6.4c here surprsiing with all the cloud has snowed more powder snow over night to give around 5cm now which will freeze... meto have a min for -10c in ni and if they have that we could maybe get -13/-14c iup here?

My fridge stopped working weeks ago; too cold for it. Warmer in there than in the kitchen....
    won't be long before you have to open the fridge for a bit of heat villain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

morning all :)

-8 here,been out to drop the mrs to work and the rd's around here are not to bad,we only got 1.5 cm of snow so would imagine it's worse elsewhere.
    so any early news on how far east this front might push in??

Is THAT was what after the food up here last night:D

Wee dog sent it packing; she is mustard re invaders.

.ho libre;63839090]indeed! I was thinking all it needed was a polar bear to complete it!!! it really was something to saviour:)[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

-6 here in town, Parnell Sq is a nightmare drive. :( Wish my heating was better.

That only works to a certain low temp; then they freeze regardless.

Believe me!

Mine were on that slow trickle then froze totally 2 nights ago..

Store water ahead. Still plenty here.:)

Then melt snow....

Snow melts well; but then you realise how much air it has in it. A full pan goes to a couple of inches
    Time to put your taps on a trickle i would say.

Thats colddddddd :eek:

The beauty here is what keeps me strong.

Brings tears.

Even when the tears freeze on the face.. Utter glory

Rose in the dawning and in the sunset, a gilded pink
    Well, even if the snow is confined to high ground, at least it will allow the Galway/Clare/Mayo hills, all of which I can see from my flatland location, to get another top up of snow which will only enhance their beauty. When the morning sun shines on them, that is when their magnificence is enhanced. If it does not snow here, at least I can get to witness it on the hills so far away. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

i could be wrong but is this so called low thats coming down seems to be pittering out? By the time it reaches the NW there'll be nothing left?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Good morning,

The incoming weak system appears to be about 100 miles north of Malin Head and moving steadily south; any accumulating snow with it should begin to show up on radars around 0900 and what's falling now here or there in western counties is well out ahead of the main wave, so count on the snow to get a bit heavier by afternoon in west-central counties.

I'm still expecting a few centimetres of snow in counties between Roscommon and Cork, mainly, but it may be somewhat hit or miss.

The longer term prospects appear about the same as discussed last night, in other words, a fairly good chance of more snow in the southeast on Sunday and Monday. Given how cold last night turned out, with the stronger high close by on Friday night and Saturday morning, could see even colder readings that night. Tonight may not have clear skies long enough to match them, but a few places could get pretty cold tonight as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Bucketing down in south Sligo

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

i could be wrong but is this so called low thats coming down seems to be pittering out? By the time it reaches the NW there'll be nothing left?

Looks like it's more of a trough now than a low - have been looking at and to me seems further east than forecast? The Eagle in his forecast on RTE last night did suggest that it may not be a low.

Latest met.ie forecast:

National Forecast
    hr.gif

07 January 2010 05:20

Today
    Scattered snow showers in the north and west today, with more prolonged outbreaks of snow likely later in western parts of Connaught and Munster. Elsewhere, dry with sunny spells but patches of freezing fog persisting locally. Highest temperatures -2 to +3 degrees Celsius, with widespread ice and lying snow. Light to moderate, northwest winds will slacken steadily.

Tonight
    Snow showers or longer outbreaks of snow in the west and north will die out early tonight and skies will clear generally. However, a few snow showers may appear later along eastern coasts. With no more than light, north to northeast breezes temperatures will fall to between -5 and -11 degrees Celsius and severe or very severe ground frost will set in, together with some freezing fog.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

On Friday, occasional snow showers will affect eastern coastal counties but the rest of the country will be dry with sunny spells. Winds will be light to moderate, northeasterly and it will remain bitterly cold, with frost, ice and patches of freezing fog persisting. Highest temperatures -3 to +3 degrees Celsius.

Outlook

On Friday night, occasional snow showers will persist in eastern coastal counties but the rest of the country will be dry with clear spells; severe or very severe ground frost will occur, along with widespread ice and some freezing fog patches. Eastern coastal counties will have further wintry showers during Saturday, many of them falling as snow inland from the Irish Sea. Other areas will be dry with sunny spells but extensive frost and ice will persist, together with local fog; winds will be light to moderate, northeasterly. Saturday night will see little change in wind or shower distribution but widespread severe or very severe ground frost will return; ice and freezing fog patches will be an ongoing problem.

The overall northeasterly airflow will persist on Sunday, with fresher breezes near some exposed coasts; occasional light showers of a wintry nature will continue to affect eastern coastal counties and perhaps part of the north coast also. Some thawing of lying snow and ice may occur in eastern areas during the daytime but most places will remain bitterly cold and ice-bound. Wintry showers will persist overnight in eastern counties, with snow accumulating again in places; longer outbreaks of rain, sleet and perhaps snow will develop in coastal counties of the south also as freshening, easterly winds set in generally.

This precipitation distribution will persist through Monday also, with areas other than the east and south staying mainly dry and bright. Despite a slight rise in temperatures, it will feel still feel bitterly cold in the fresh, easterly wind.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Balmy...

Laducar wrote: »
    Bucketing down in south Sligo

Raining?

God love and reward you.

You saved a life today.

And I bet she was glad to see a human face too:)
    Have a relative based in Tullow 3 miles Baltinglass side of the town, he is not online, was just talking to him on the phone and he says he has never felt such a cold evening in his living memory and he is 76 years of age. He reckons it will be one of the coldest nights ever experienced was telling me of a few different signs that can be watched for, old wives tales if you catch my drift.

Guys also just a quick note please if any if you have elderly neighbours or know of elderly people living alone, it would do no harm just to check on them and see if they are ok. If it really becomes the coldest night in recent history alot of people could be in trouble.

I dropped in on an elderly lady earlier that lives in cottages down the end of my estate, i've never spoken 2 words to her in all my life but was aware she lived alone. She has been sitting in the cold with no fuel or Gas for the past 48 hours. I went and got her some coal and briquttes and 2 bottles of Gas for her super ser, hate to think if i didn't drop in what might have been. And this was in Dublin.

Back to the weather keep up the good work lads and loving the snow here in Tallaght, kids had a ball all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

What does anybody make of the Low in the North Sea, off the south east coast of England, is it normal to have such an intense spot in the middle?
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Laducar

Raining?
    Snow

Could become even colder here locally over the next 48hrs if the latest yr.no meteogram is correct

my eyes are drawn though to that little snow shower late in the afternoon...:D

• Advertisement

this chart seem's to have a large chunk of ireland getting precip,pity im right slap bang where there's none forecast :pac:

sorry link doesnt show image
    how do i get the image to show on this page without haveing to post a link??

To warm you up..This was yesterday.. dare not yet look outside.

snowtreesone.jpg

i could be wrong but this front seems to be tracking S and not SW?

jambofc wrote: »
    this chart seem's to have a large chunk of ireland getting precip,pity im right slap bang where there's none forecast :pac:

sorry link doesnt show image
    how do i get the image to show on this page without haveing to post a link??

Just use the yellow envolope box on the top your message page. Paste in the link when the pop up appears and Robert's your uncle. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

That's what I thought (post on previous page).

Was it supposed to move SW? The models I looked at yesterday seem to have cloud streams moving from between NW and NE.

here's the graph,i just cant get it to appear on this page sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Well just arrived in work and i snotted myself on the quays at the bridge near the four courts. The paths are lethal in town, just to warn anyone making the journey in.

sandy_c wrote: »
    Well just arrived in work and i snotted myself on the quays at the bridge near the four courts. The paths are lethal in town, just to warn anyone making the journey in.

What town? Where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

HIRLAM precip show up little or nothing out of it,dies a death.

prec_nordeuro-11.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement