Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Sorry, Dublin City Centre

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

redsunset wrote: »
    HIRLAM precip show up little or nothing out of it,dies a death.

prec_nordeuro-11.gif

Yes seems its dying out. Theres not even any trace of percip on the UKMO radar NW of scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

snaps wrote: »
    Yes seems its dying out. Theres not even any trace of percip on the UKMO radar NW of scotland

The Eagle was ramping then, last night. Bet we see Gerry Murphy back today...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

jambofc wrote: »
    here's the graph,i just cant get it to appear on this page sorry

Jambofc, click on this box:

101314.jpg

when you want to show an image. Just paste the image url into in and press ok:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

snaps wrote: »
    What town? Where?

Im not even from Dublin but i know where the four courts are!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

The Eagle was ramping then, last night. Bet we see Gerry Murphy back today...:rolleyes:

We saw what happened yesterday in the Irish Sea. Maybe the same can happen as this low moves down, (if it is still a low).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

thanks DeepE I was having the same prob.looks like Bastardi was on the money as skynews are predicting widespread sleet and snow for sun/mon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i wonder will there be a big upgrade by met eireann over the weekend?
    meanwhile just deep fog here so far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

at the moment it seems just a south and east coast event per met eireann. suppose they are waiting to see how it develops and if it will spread further inland. british met office still have their warning up re sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So whens this snow coming nacho ?
    Todays snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

So no snow for the west?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

They are just saying rain sleet or snow pushing onto the south coast and nudging northwards. That kind of situation we saw just after Christmas - but without the northward progress of the front. A nightmare to forecast and ME are hedging their bets once again.

I would say snow forecasts are T+24 events or earlier at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I've great respect for Met Eireann,
    HOWEVER
    There's times like now where i would love to just give them a shake.
    Drool forecasting.

According to BBC my area should be getting snow at 12.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Dublin city centre is hell on earth - cant walk two steps without slipping. Getting sick of this weather now. I like how different it is, really impressive but its getting dangerous now, as no one is making any effort to make the streets safe.

The only footpath gritted today was the bits outside dail eireann and the department of finance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,518 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Re: the weak system heading south, yes it is a wave at present, no closed circulation; GFS suggests it will develop a weak centre over western Ireland around 1500h, but gradients are slight. However, this kind of weather system can be a "sleeper" in that it shows only cloud out over the ocean, where there is no deep cold air like over land, then it develops into something more than cloud over the land where the moist marine air has something colder to ride over. Radar won't show too much, I think, until the wave feature is near Donegal around 1100h.

So I wouldn't write it off yet as producing nothing; my guess is snowfalls of 2 to 6 cms are possible with it, across west-central counties. But there will be sleety rain near the outer coast.

The weekend developments are intriguing because while ME are suggesting mild enough for rain as well as snow by Sunday, some models are showing rapid linkage of the Scandinavian high with a source of very cold Siberian air coming across the Urals, and a wedge of colder air rotating around the new high centre. So I feel that snowfall is probably favoured for the southeast and south, over sleet or rain, except perhaps along the outer south coast where very few people live anyway.

Pressures are going to be rising into the 1030s near Ulster over the weekend and this suggests potential for some extremely cold readings each night from now to Monday in clear locations central and north.

I'm guessing that if it started to warm up and thaw middle to end of next week, even the weather forum hard core would not be that disappointed, and the rest of the country would be thrilled, so let's hope that happens, it could, or it might be a slow, grinding process to get to a real thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No thaw MTC - let this run to mid-March I say - freeze those Global Warmers, freeze 'em!

even the weather forum hard core would not be that disappointed

Im afraid im weather forum hard core and dont want a thaw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Everyone is excited with the snow - but it's causing trouble for everyone.
    The sooner the temps increase the better.

The down sides overshadow the good side of snow. Sure its pretty and a bit of fun for kids.....but we can't live with these issues:
    Frozen pipes (no water)
    Public transport issues
    Dangerous paths
    Lethal roads
    More traffic
    Schools shut (maybe we can live with this :D)
    Frozen crops
    Higher heating bills

Be gone snow - BE GONE

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Yes its been bloody cold. But I dont want a thaw, until Cork has had its share of the snow. I had my 4 year daughter begging to be brought up to her grans house in Carlow yesterday so she could build a snow man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

ragg wrote: »
    The only footpath gritted today was the bits outside dail eireann and the department of finance :rolleyes:

Well in fairness they do really need to get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The weather for the coming week is interesting.

Although on the surface it appears the cold will be modifying by viewing 850hpa temps etc it won't be that apparent on the ground.

Upto Monday we are still in the extreme cold atmosphere.

Then some uppers get in the flow from southern Europe and cloud spills in
    from the south, this has the effect of lessening night frosts with temperatures just dipping to 0 to -2c at night and reaching around 1-4c at day, then as the week goes on we are likely to pick of a southeasterly feed dragging cold surface air off the continent where temperatures are expected to be subzero (-5c Paris) (-8c Berlin) during the day so our dewpoints then decline as the lows push into Europe dragging up this SE flow.

No let up in the cold this week by the looks of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

This is mild compared to other countries,and they cope very well.
    people are gone too soft here.
    It's Winter,it ment to be cold.
    No thaw till April

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

The temp rose a bit up to -9.3 @ 7am from -9.6.

Has started to drop again..

Temperature: -9.8 °C
    Dew Point: -10.6 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

no thaw!!!!!!!!
    all ive seen is 1.5cm

here's the page i was trying to put up,thanks deepeasterly

potential to come a lot more inland??

Rtavn184.png

redsunset wrote: »
    This is mild compared to other countries,and they cope very well.
    people are gone too soft here.
    It's Winter,it ment to be cold.
    No thaw till April
    Yes exactly , on the european forecast yestuday on rte the women said that ireland was the warmest out all the european countries at the moment to the east of us.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

even the weather forum hard core would not be that disappointed

I wouldn't be happy until I have received at least a foot of snow and there is and frost fair on the Liffey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i see yr.no is indicating milder weather by the end of next week. with highs of 2-3 c by day for me. t-shirt wearing weather!:pac:

but seriously looking ahead is that front to the south going to be more intense than anticipitated?
    will we see increased risk of heavy precipitation but conditions being the wrong side of marginal for snow to fall as it gets progessively milder and a break down ensues leaving many happy.

or will the minority get what they want, which is a renewed cold incursion from siberia which sends the Atlantic packing once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Never posted before - only stumbled on this discussion 2 days ago and no work done since! I never knew there were other snow freaks!

My problem is that being a snow freak in Cork City is a somewhat frustrating experience to put it mildly. Subject to correction my last recollection of snow here was Christmas day 2005 (and that was wet stuff). Before that there was some in about 1995 and before that proper stuff in Feb 1991 and the big freeze of Jan 1986 (best we ever got). Snow is often forecast here but it nearly always falls as rain (cf. it was -2 when it started raining on Christmas morning this year!).

Today's forecast has a possibility of snow from the atlantic low but this is predicated on (1) it falling as snow (2) there still being precipitation when it gets here (3) it being far enough east to hit the city (its touch and go on all models I've seen).

Sunday morning also sounds v promising but this mention of it falling as snow everywhere except "the very south" terrifies me! Someone said in an earlier post that no one really lives in the extreme south - except he was forgetting about the entire second city! (I think he prob meant sw).

To cut to the chase, do the experienced forecasters on here think we might finally see some snow down here? Its been 5 years (and really its been nearer 20 since we say anything decent)....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

owenc wrote: »
    bloody hell -17c in benson in the south east (uk) well its -6.4c here surprsiing with all the cloud has snowed more powder snow over night to give around 5cm now which will freeze... meto have a min for -10c in ni and if they have that we could maybe get -13/-14c iup here?

We only got about 1cm here in Derry City last night.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement