Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

redsunset wrote: »
    This is mild compared to other countries,and they cope very well.
    people are gone too soft here.
    It's Winter,it ment to be cold.
    No thaw till April

yes indeed!
    i want this to be a truly classic winter like those fabled years. i want this winter to take its place in the winter hall of fame alongside '63 and '47!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

Woke up to a nice fresh coating of snow. It was -5.1C when I left for work about 45 mins ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

-16.1c recorded at 04.07am

Stunned and its still -10c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Pangea wrote: »
    Yes exactly , on the european forecast yestuday on rte the women said that ireland was the warmest out all the european countries at the moment to the east of us.

There's a reason for that. Historically we get milder winters and cooler summers. It's our geographic position.
    We are not prepared for this cold. Compared to every winter for the last 20 years- this is by far the longest cold spell. Over the last 5 years we barely even get frost build up on cars over night. Sub-zero temps during daylight is strange for us.
    If this was the norm, then you can compare to other european countries......why not compare our summers with Spain!
    Climates and averages are the basis of weather systems - this is not an average year.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

My problem is that being a snow freak in Cork City is a somewhat frustrating experience to put it mildly.

I was in Cork early last year, and talking to a taxi driver whose 21-year-old son had never seen snow. And I've seen posts from people here who've never made a snowman.

And yet a good chunk of the Irish vocabulary I remember deals with snow, ice, and slipping on same...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Villain wrote: »
    -16.1c recorded at 04.07am

Stunned and its still -10c

You'll look back in years to come in other January's when the rain is lashing against the window and it's 11 degrees, and you will hardly believe it was possible. You might still get a lower reading before this spell or indeed, winter is finished...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

No real change on the 06Z GFS in terms of the snow potential for the west today. Just tracked a bit further west.

gothwalk wrote: »
    I was in Cork early last year, and talking to a taxi driver whose 21-year-old son had never seen snow. And I've seen posts from people here who've never made a snowman.

And yet a good chunk of the Irish vocabulary I remember deals with snow, ice, and slipping on same...

What the south coast needs is a depression approaching from the south west, with the advancing fronts being undercut with a flood of cold air. Rarely seen, but possible. As an example, Roches Point got an 8 or 10 inches of snow during a fall in 1947's winter as this situation occured....:)

06Z GFS pushes some light snow showers into Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford coasts early tomorrow morning.

Supercell and Black Briar would see fresh snow out of this :

ukprec.png

No real change on the 06Z GFS in terms of the snow potential for the west today. Just tracked a bit further west.

Yeah, was hoping it might extend as far as me in the midlands, but not looking likely. Frustrating, this spell, for snow lovers here. If the streamers form in the Irish Sea, the east coast gets it, and they evaproate before reaching here. If a front comes from the north, it usually disbands before getting here. Fronts from the south, don't get far enough north to trouble us in this set-up, and now this feature wont make it far enough east. LOL -snow shield indeed.

It's damn cold though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Knock airport closed for the whole day and until futher notice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Yawwwwn.... stretch.. Good morning snowmen and snowladies... very grey and foggy here this morning. Had about 2cm of fresh stuff over night. First morning I haven't been able to see the sunrise.. Congrats to Villain the Stig on your -16.1. What are we watching for today? Would it be something off the west coast maybe?:rolleyes:

12Z GFS has an increasing risk of light snow showers coming in from the Irish sea tomorrow afternoon, Dublin to Wexford, with the risk of them coming a bit further inland as the day goes on, but nothing like what happened yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Check out the latest aviation forecasts and charts in the Aviation thread

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Northern Spain looks like it could get a dumping of snow in the next few days :eek:

Much of the Med subzero too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

Getting seriously foggy here now, yet there was hardly any only an hour ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

http://www.breakingnews.ie/text/ireland/eyeykfaukfsn/

BreakingNews.ie - 07/01/10
    FRONT | IRELAND | SPORT | WORLD | BUSINESS | ENTERTAINMENT
    Cold weather set to continue into March
    07/01/2010 - 09:22:06

The current spell of bitterly cold weather is set to continue until around March, according to predictions issued today.

The west and northwest are braced for worsening weather conditions later today after the east ground to a near-standstill yesterday.

« PREVIOUS

12Z GFS is an upgrade for snow showers in the east and southeast starting again then early Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Saturday will be chilly at all levels!!

Light snow likely to affect East/Southeast also.

Rtavn602.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

morning all!!

Woke up to a light dusting this morning... it was so nice to see snow on the velux!!!

congrats villian, that was a cold night in your area, hope you put extra quilt on last night... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

What the south coast needs is a depression approaching from the south west, with the advancing fronts being undercut with a flood of cold air. Rarely seen, but possible. As an example, Roches Point got an 8 or 10 inches of snow during a fall in 1947's winter as this situation occured....:)[/QUOTE
    There was a huge blizzard on the south coast in February 1978.

Saturday will be chilly at all levels!!

Light snow likely to affect East/Southeast also.

Yep. Certainly snow showers Saturday, east, southeast, south if that came off.

Those Cork snowlovers might even get something. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

There's a reason for that. Historically we get milder winters and cooler summers. It's our geographic position.
    We are not prepared for this cold. Compared to every winter for the last 20 years- this is by far the longest cold spell. Over the last 5 years we barely even get frost build up on cars over night. Sub-zero temps during daylight is strange for us.
    If this was the norm, then you can compare to other european countries......why not compare our summers with Spain!
    Climates and averages are the basis of weather systems - this is not an average year.

I have lived in France for Years (North) and the winters are the same more or less. Southern England's winters are generally milder than the East of Ireland bar this year so that is total rubbish you are talking.:rolleyes:

donegal post man on radio, the weather predictor guy

http://tx.sharp-stream.com/tune.php?c=oceanfm&.wax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Not sure what is happening here in Tuam at the moment regarding temp, but it is not really rising at all. Temp graph since midnight:

101318.jpg

Is now at -5.9c. Claremorris, the nearest official station to me is reading only -3c at 9am. The Tuam NRA station is reading -2c the last time I looked. I thought my Davis might be playing up but car reading is at -6.5c currently and outside (basic) thermometer is reading -5c. The only theory I have is the town's low elevation relative to surrouding areas, esp to the north. Claremorris station is at 70m high, while the NRA is something like 60m to 70m. I reckon all the cool air is pooling down from the north and lodging here in as there is absolutely no wind at all to stir it around. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Utter rubbish, young man.
    Shame on you!

This is totally atypical for Ireland and unlike other countries, Ireland and the UK do not have the infrastructure to deal with it.

If you enjoy this so much over such a long period, by all means move to Poland!!!

But please!

We are by no means soft either; there is great deal of true grit on these pages and not the stuff missing from the roads either.

quote=redsunset;63844330]This is mild compared to other countries,and they cope very well.
    people are gone too soft here.
    It's Winter,it ment to be cold.
    No thaw till April[/quote]

Again on Sunday morning, 12Z GFS for the third day showing snow showers for the east, south, south and perhaps the south midlands too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

ffarrell wrote: »
    I have lived in France for Years (North) and the winters are the same more or less. Southern England's winters are generally milder than the East of Ireland bar this year so that is total rubbish you are talking.:rolleyes:

I think you misunderstand me - sounds like you agreeing.
    So I'm just imagining -10 then? This is totally not the norm. -16 in parts of Carlow!

Statistically rest of europe wets harsher weather - more extreme heat and more extreme cold.

he is predicting that kids will be off school for the next two weeks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

Morning everyone :)

Again, fantastic to see such interest on here - this is truly a memorable spell of weather & is now classified as a Severe Wintry Outbreak.

With regard to the potential weekend, event, ECMWF is showing this to be mainly an event for Eastern & Southeastern areas. More marginality is mentioned after Monday because as shown on last night's UKMO Fax Chart, a warm front will approach from the Continent later in the weekend, marking the boundary between very cold and less cold upper air. However, its worth bearing in mind that with all of the snowcover now, we can easily generate our own cold pool that can modify precipitation falling.

This does appear to be mainly an event for the above areas, as indicated on the overnight ECMWF charts, however small changes could bring the precipitation further north & inland.

At the moment, counties most at risk appear to be Waterford, Kilkenny, Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Kildare & Dublin, with Louth and Eastern areas of Northern Ireland also being at risk somewhat later on. County Kerry also appears to be at risk.

100107_0000_96.png

850mb temperatures will become less cold next week, with a more continental Southeasterly airflow being established. However, there will still be a significant wind chill factor, with much less of a diurnal temperature range.

SA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement