Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

MORNING People!
    Whats the situation for sunday? , Sky news keep showing Sunday on the weather 1st before they go back to 2days weather.
    More snow than yesterday? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Snowing here now in S.Donegal
    :D

Congratulation yet agan Pangea :D

Kick that shower down as far as Galway would you? Good man. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Congratulation yet agan Pangea :D

Kick that shower down as far as Galway would you? Good man. :p
    ha ha thanks , got very cloudy and now snowing, nothing major yet but il keep ya updated,
    Il get the hairdryer out and blow it down to ye. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Does anyone know what the walking situation is like out there? Is it very slippy? I'm in Dublin 12 and was not prepared for this weather so have absolutely no food in the cupboard. I need to venture out to the shops.

Do you have sturdy rubber grip soled shoes? Wear them and wrap up very warm. It's bad on the footpaths I've told my own Mother not to go out we're in D 8. Take your time walk as slowly as you can and hold the railings or wall, you'll be fine if you don't rush, but it is very very slippy on some footpaths. Everyone is slipping fracture clinics are full so take care and good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Graces7 wrote: »
    Depends where you are; Ireland is a very diverse country.

Here in Donegal Dec 2008 it was taking half an hour to de-ice the car every weekend to get to market.

But where you are is very different.

Interesting and the reason this is such a good forum. Wide ranging....

I agree with that. I do a lot of driving and I see the temps ranging from county to county. Xmas eve was -5 in Sligo, -11 in Roscommon, then -9 in Longford & -6 in Westmeath (in the space of 2 hours from 9pm to 11pm)

• Advertisement

Did someone say it was -16 in carlow? Villain is it?
    I thought it was -14.7, amazing tempertures mate,
    See met eireann said it was -12 in carlow, what did you use to record it villain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Since my last post, temp has risen with shocking alacrity to -3.9c. Wind now at 1mph mean so something is stirrin'!

Nothing showing on the radar and no sign of clouds?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank the dear Lord for an end in sight,..

Talking to farmer friend on the phone earlier.. One has a steep drive down to a main road and even with a Landrover is in difficulties. Danger if he skids onto the road

There is also concern re feed stocks getting in now for livestock.

6z GFS puts us in a Thawing Situation by Tuesday as drags alot of Med air into the flow over Europe from Saturday.

Looks like 4c in Dublin and persistent Drizzle by Tuesday from the 6z GFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Morning All,

Looks like that line from West Donegal to West Cork is going to get snow today. 2-6CM reckons Met Eireann.

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm (link courtesy of Deep Easterly)
    Click on Nedbør

As for next Monday I think it is useless to be trying to call what areas will be affected. SA is prob correct in the areas he thinks will be affected but that does not mean that the event will not effect other parts of the country, particularly the Midlands, the rest of Munster and South Connaught.

On a separate note and regarding the end of this cold spell, while models may indicate a return to milder conditions mid week to late next week - we must remember that it is only the first week of January. It is going to be a long winter. Any mild spell will bring reprieve to those badly affected by the weather but it is most certainly going to return with a vengeance.

ps...light snow shower about two hours ago. Temp is -2.5. Calm and sunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I moved to the midlands 6 years ago. Last year was the only year with more than 10 days frost on the windscreen....I leave for work at 7am.
    The previous years seldom dropped to freezing.

I don't know what you are smoking but last winter in Dublin was very cold also. In February there was very heavy snow for a week on and off - up uo 14 centimetres in West Dublin (remember Dublin airport closed twice????/) and lots of heavy frosts...maybe you are in some micro-climate in the midlands!!!!

• Advertisement

ha ha thanks , got very cloudy and now snowing, nothing major yet but il keep ya updated,
    Il get the hairdryer out and blow it down to ye. :)

No, not the hairdyer, I want the snow, not tropical, hairdryer heated rain! :D:D:D

Prophet of doom!!
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Morning All,

Looks like that line from West Donegal to West Cork is going to get snow today. 2-6CM reckons Met Eireann.

http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm (link courtesy of Deep Easterly)
    Click on Nedbør

As for next Monday I think it is useless to be trying to call what areas will be affected. SA is prob correct in the areas he thinks will be affected but that does not mean that the event will not effect other parts of the country, particularly the Midlands, the rest of Munster and South Connaught.

On a separate note and regarding the end of this cold spell, while models may indicate a return to milder conditions mid week to late next week - we must remember that it is only the first week of January. It is going to be a long winter. Any mild spell will bring reprieve to those badly affected by the weather but it is most certainly going to return with a vengeance.

ps...light snow shower about two hours ago. Temp is -2.5. Calm and sunny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

About blooming time. They must read boards.ie too. :pac:

Arctic weather causing severe disruption
    Thursday, 7 January 2010 10:24

A Government emergency response committee is to meet this morning to discuss the ongoing problems caused by the cold snap.

The committee is made up of representatives from the departments of transport, environment, health education, the Taoiseach and other agencies.

They will decide if the army needs to be mobilised to help people cut off and isolated because of weather.

Snow and ice are making driving conditions dangerous in many areas, particularly in the east where salt supplies are running low.

Met Éireann has issued a severe weather warning with snow expected in west Ulster and western parts of Connacht and Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

Did someone say it was -16 in carlow? Villain is it?
    I thought it was -14.7, amazing tempertures mate,
    See met eireann said it was -12 in carlow, what did you use to record it villain?

- 14 in Carlow my a--e!!! more like - 4!!!!!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Maynooth has just been engulfed in freezing fog.
    Currently minus 3
    Visibility 80m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Morning WolfeIre, well i woke to a light dusting this morning... you were right again!!!:D Cheers!

snaps wrote: »
    Nothing showing on the radar and no sign of clouds?

I was just referring to the very slight breeze Snaps. Yep, the sky is as clear as anything here as well. Beautiful, if cold morning. -2.3c currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Im in the west. So far I dont think its that bad. I dont understand why the schools are closed when all the shops are open. What I do think is bad is the lack of preparation and initiative of people to do something about their footpaths and parking lots. I and one other neighbor cleared our footpaths up to the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Good morning folks. This has proabaly been answered somewhere in previous pages which I dont have time to read, but I'm looking at an area, or potential area, of circulation moving rapidly south west wards off the coast of Scotland off Aberdeen. Is this the polar low that is going to pass the wst of Ireland, or is it a new feature, as if it manages to cross the UK it looks like its heading for the Irish Sea ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

ffarrell wrote: »
    I don't know what you are smoking but last winter in Dublin was very cold also. In February there was very heavy snow for a week on and off - up uo 14 centimetres in West Dublin (remember Dublin airport closed twice????/) and lots of heavy frosts...maybe you are in some micro-climate in the midlands!!!!

Yeah, even down here in balmy Cork we must have had 50 nights of frost last winter (in fact it started on halloween night as I recall). In fairness though, I don't think I had to defrost the car once in the "winters" of 06/07 and 07/08.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ffarrell wrote: »
    - 14 in Carlow my a--e!!! more like - 4!!!!!:D

The min at the official Met site was -12c.

Local areas would have got lower and Villian did.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

it was -9.5 in inagh (between ennis & ennistymon) this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

-7.7 here this morning on my weather station

Stopped snowing here in donegal, snowed lightly to moderate for around 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

OK people , according to Sky News And even ME , Sunday the East and South is in for another snow day! ( "woo!" )

MET EIREANN : Sunday, with fresher breezes near some exposed coasts; occasional light showers of a wintry nature will continue to affect eastern coastal counties and perhaps part of the north coast also. Some thawing of lying snow and ice may occur in eastern areas during the daytime but most places will remain bitterly cold and ice-bound. Wintry showers will persist overnight in eastern counties, with snow accumulating again in places.

How much snow yet we do not know , but ye Its probably gonna be the last of it all!
    SO ye KEEP AN EYE FOR UPGRADES ....and downgrades ( :mad: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Snowing here now in S.Donegal
    :D

Ain't seen none here yet this morning

A retired social worker in the UK used to comment re them "having meetings aboit having meetings..." ,,,,,,

See my post re medical supplies....
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    About blooming time. They must read boards.ie too. :pac:

Arctic weather causing severe disruption
    Thursday, 7 January 2010 10:24

A Government emergency response committee is to meet this morning to discuss the ongoing problems caused by the cold snap.

The committee is made up of representatives from the departments of transport, environment, health education, the Taoiseach and other agencies.

They will decide if the army needs to be mobilised to help people cut off and isolated because of weather.

Snow and ice are making driving conditions dangerous in many areas, particularly in the east where salt supplies are running low.

Met Éireann has issued a severe weather warning with snow expected in west Ulster and western parts of Connacht and Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Im in the west. So far I dont think its that bad. I dont understand why the schools are closed when all the shops are open. What I do think is bad is the lack of preparation and initiative of people to do something about their footpaths and parking lots. I and one other neighbor cleared our footpaths up to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

its all health and safety now a days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

My minimum last night was - 11.4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement