Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

mad DIY wrote: »
    Good morning folks. This has proabaly been answered somewhere in previous pages which I dont have time to read, but I'm looking at an area, or potential area, of circulation moving rapidly south west wards off the coast of Scotland off Aberdeen. Is this the polar low that is going to pass the wst of Ireland, or is it a new feature, as if it manages to cross the UK it looks like its heading for the Irish Sea ?
    Do not see much signs of a PL off Aberdeen (east coast of scotland) Mad. Our 'Eagle Low' approaching us from the North is beginning to intensify somewhat compared to about an hour ago. We should continue to observe it as it has the potential to develop into something bigger and more potent. The fact that its main centre is still at sea as it moves south across Ireland means that it could continue to intensify.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Im in the west. So far I dont think its that bad. I dont understand why the schools are closed when all the shops are open. What I do think is bad is the lack of preparation and initiative of people to do something about their footpaths and parking lots. I and one other neighbor cleared our footpaths up to the house.

Insurance and litigation worries if someone slips and breaks their neck on the school grounds, I would imagine.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Do not see much signs of a PL off Aberdeen (east coast of scotland) Mad. Our 'Eagle Low' approaching us from the North is beginning to intensify somewhat compared to about an hour ago. We should continue to observe it as it has the potential to develop into something bigger and more potent. The fact that its main centre is still at sea as it moves south across Ireland means that it could continue to intensify.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop

Thanks. Is there a chance that PL might go a bit more easterly than expected and cause more disruptive snow in the East ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Mine was -8.3°C just after 6am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Thanks. Is there a chance that PL might go a bit more easterly than expected and cause more more disruptive snow in the East ?

I think thats very unlikely, it could go a bit further east though and give heavier snow to the west/southwest and maybe as far as the midlands but at the moment it looks like it will just brush the west coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Insurance and litigation worries if someone slips and breaks their neck on the school grounds, I would imagine.

And also that knowingly putting people at risk (we've heard about the increase in injuries from slips and falls) would be irresponsible. School's no longer have funding for resource teachers, so I doubt they could afford to salt/grit carparks and yard areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Its started to cloud up here now.

Winds gone SW as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

ffarrell wrote: »
    I don't know what you are smoking but last winter in Dublin was very cold also. In February there was very heavy snow for a week on and off - up uo 14 centimetres in West Dublin (remember Dublin airport closed twice????/) and lots of heavy frosts...maybe you are in some micro-climate in the midlands!!!!

That's what he said!!! The years before LAST were abnormally mild. Very little frost. Many people even commented at the time how we rarely saw frost. Chill out FFS.

Thanks. Is there a chance that PL might go a bit more easterly than expected and cause more more disruptive snow in the East ?
    You may see some cloud cover Mad but that's about it on the east coast. The precip is likely to effect parts of the north midlands for brief periods but precip amounts will be light.
    Looking at the latest satellite picture I was hoping that the system out to the west (which is heading NE) would influence our system and push it further inland. Unlikely to happen now.

image.ashx?country=eu&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=last&time=201001071145&sat=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Not gonna happen (not in Cork anyway).

• Advertisement

F-Stop wrote: »
    And also that knowingly putting people at risk (we've heard about the increase in injuries from slips and falls) would be irresponsible. School's no longer have funding for resource teachers, so I doubt they could afford to salt/grit carparks and yard areas.

Agreed.

I think its different for the shops, as they need to keep open in order to stay in business, so I think that's why schools are closed and shops open.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I think a lot of the 'cloud cover' on the east coast, is actually dense low lying freezing fog....... Visibility here is deteriorating and now down to about 50m......

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sushisushi

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I wouldn't be happy until I have received at least a foot of snow and there is and frost fair on the Liffey. :)

You might yet - look at this photo taken yesterday!
    http://img124.yfrog.com/i/ljnq.jpg/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭arac

have just heard from a friend that this cold snap is to last until the 23rd of Jan! :eek: Can anyone confirm or deny this report?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The special bulletin on BBC last night said it could last for two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well, for better or for worse, here it comes:

101326.gif

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

arac wrote: »
    have just heard from a friend that this cold snap is to last until the 23rd of Jan! :eek: Can anyone confirm or deny this report?

thanks!

Some say cold spell will end next week, some say March - the answer is nobody can really tell other than a couple of days in advance.

arac wrote: »

thanks!

I think there's another 5 or 6 days of cold for sure, beyond that it could get milder but it's also hard to know that far ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭haines35

smccarrick wrote: »
    I think a lot of the 'cloud cover' on the east coast, is actually dense low lying freezing fog....... Visibility here is deteriorating and now down to about 50m......

What location please.

At best, this is my guess of what can be expected today. West of the black line is going to see the heavier precip. How heavy? I honestly do not know and can only go on ME's advice of 2-6cm. The higher end of this being on high ground and the Mid West and South West

Between the red line and black line, there will be cloud cover and the precip will in parts move inland on its southward track.

attachment.php?attachmentid=101329&stc=1&d=1262862377

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭dizzydiesel

Yeah, even down here in balmy Cork we must have had 50 nights of frost last winter (in fact it started on halloween night as I recall). In fairness though, I don't think I had to defrost the car once in the "winters" of 06/07 and 07/08.

Yep - 20045/6/7 were very mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

At best, this is my guess of what can be expected today. West of the black line is going to see the heavier precip. How heavy? I honestly do not know and can only go on ME's advice of 2-6cm. The higher end of this being on high ground and the Mid West and South West

Between the red line and black line, there will be cloud cover and the precip will in parts move inland on its southward track.

I'm west of that line,fingers crossed....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

So though of us on the red line can expect ?? :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

Bought it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

I'm west of that line,fingers crossed....

me too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

So though of us on the red line can expect ??

The red line is running but with some delays.

cian1500ww wrote: »

I would expect very little.

cian1500ww wrote: »
    had to draw line somewhere Cian. It's not accurate to the mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

England completely covered in Snow-A prolonged Easterly off that will be fun

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

no activity at all the radars, both ME and UKMO

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement