Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

sideswipe wrote: »
    The red line is running but with some delays.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 W23

I was very surprised this morning to see the lake in UCD has more or less frozen over and the fountains have been on all through the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Anyone taken the time to compare the position of the 'polar low' on the satellite to its predicted position on the charts? Haven't had a chance to myself yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    had to draw line somewhere Cian. It's not accurate to the mile.

Between the red line and black line, there will be cloud cover and the precip will in parts move inland on its southward track.

Cool wolf, you split my house right down the center with the blackline, along the n22.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GavinH wrote: »
    Cool wolf, you split my house right down the center with the blackline, along the n22.

will be interesting to see later how wolfe's lines bear up after the event!
    :)

i'm just about on the black line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

GavinH wrote: »

maybe they should put bollards out on that part of the n22 as the system crosses.

We could call this system the 'Gaeltacht Low'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

Wicklow town main street is pretty good today but try going up any hills here and your in trouble!! looks like more snowshowers for the east tomorow through to monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

The min at the official Met site was -12c.

Local areas would have got lower and Villian did.

I read -11 when I checked this morning here in Carlow town.
    So that Temp is correct.

Anyone taken the time to compare the position of the 'polar low' on the satellite to its predicted position on the charts? Haven't had a chance to myself yet.
    it's fairly consistent with the gfs and less so with the UKMO which puts it further out to sea (but not significantly so).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Sorry everyone, i had to go to bed last night, how low did villains temp get last night???

And more importantly, will met eireann verify it???

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

serious fog descended here in last hour unlike anything ive seen during the daytime before. Near tullamore co offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    had to draw line somewhere Cian. It's not accurate to the mile.

Between the red line and black line, there will be cloud cover and the precip will in parts move inland on its southward track.
    Thanks, we've had nothing yet, and we were in the middle of it before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Why my videos no worky? :( I used the You Tube function ... do you put in the entire URL between the brackets?

EDIT: Wait, they do!! Just a bit slow..

Defcol wrote: »
    Why my videos no worky? :( I used the You Tube function ... do you put in the entire URL between the brackets?
    no you paste the embed code. then you enclose this code with the youtube button

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Feckin hell, had to go to work today, not meant to but too much guff to sort out, had to defrost a bit of sand i had, then put in bucket and then put that on slope up to main road, 5 attempts later got out, sister in law cant get out just rang there, told her to get more sand:) outskirts of galway city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

poolboy wrote: »
    serious fog descended here in last hour unlike anything ive seen during the daytime before. Near tullamore co offaly

Fog without sense of humour eh? We have that here now as well, freezing , just to add to the road lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Did anyone in Donegal county get confused yesturday , on local radio stations they were saying that only sand was being used on the roads as grit supplies have become worringly low ,it was all over the papers too but on RTE news it showed the donegal co co saying that they have loads and that they have so much to spare that people are being urged to come and collect some for free and use it on their own pavements and driveways.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Feels like the calm before the storm here in Ballina, North Mayo...Sky is really clouding up now and the clouds taking on that yellow/brown colour that they always get before snow...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭poolboy

Fog without sense of humour eh? We have that here now as well, freezing , just to add to the road lottery.

ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I've to travel to Dublin City Centre this evening : how is the weather there at the moment?

cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Temperature in Maynooth now falling again. Now -6.1c
    Visibility 40m in freezing fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

A few clouds appearing here in Galway but on the whole its still pretty clear........ :(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Fog in Maynooth getting even thicker - there was a short bit there where visibility was down to about 30m. -3.6C, seems to have stabilised as it's been there for about an hour.

Birds are also mobbing the bird table outside - I counted 12 on it at once a few minutes ago.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

we have the fog here in newbridge , currently -3.6.

On a side note: where is Darkman2 ????

Can people post updates regarding any snow that falls please (when and if this happens). Please include your location to the nearest town/village where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Tis bright and sunny here in Sligo town, bit nippy, but no ominous looking clouds gathering either. I'll be west of the black line all day and would love it to bucket down at home too, but I'm still dubious.
    If it does I'm calling into the car breakers on the way home to get a bmw bonnet!

Had a very slight fall of snow about 30 minutes ago, and when I say slight, twas a few dozens flakes like, seemed to be from clouds moving SE away from the eastern side of Sligo town. Hardly a cloud in the sky now at all, as far as I can see out me windown anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

hinault wrote: »
    I've to travel to Dublin City Centre this evening : how is the weather there at the moment?

cheers

I haven't been out yet but I here the roads are mental.....

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

the word thaw is used there so i'd say there could well be a downgrade. but sure didn't we get enough snow. i'll be driving to work monday. working outdoors so i'm hoping for a downgrade anywho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Well, the DMI.DK Hirlam 06z run has upped potential a little for the west:

Chart for 4pm today:

101331.jpg

Image source: http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

The telling, however, is in the reality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement