Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Here just 7 miles west of Killorglin Co.Kerry, had a brief snower shower about 30 minutes ago followed by some sleet ..clouds have cleared now,and its currently dry and bright

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

The bbc radar doesnt show any snow now for ulster , they did earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Very high level clouds here in Ballina, look like cirrostratus...NRA give temp at -1.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i seem to near the divding line - cold and clear sky over head yet 10 miles further west there are clouds and they have the look of rain about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp here now in positive figures. 0.2c with dp at -1c. Pressure 1017.5 mb and steady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

vizualpics wrote: »
    Feels like the calm before the storm here in Ballina, North Mayo...Sky is really clouding up now and the clouds taking on that yellow/brown colour that they always get before snow...

But alarm bells are ringing as temps are rising fast, yesterday the frost on my windscreen of my parked car didnt melt (Its in the shade) Today its melting. Temp has gone from -1.1c around 10.45 now up to 2.1c. If anything its going to be rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

malman wrote: »

I think that's called winter isn't it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Well, the DMI.DK Hirlam 06z run has upped potential a little for the west:

Chart for 4pm today:

101331.jpg

Image source: http://www.dmi.dk/dmi/index/danmark/vejrkort.htm

The telling, however, is in the reality.

Does it go beyond 4pm i.e when it pushes further south?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

snaps wrote: »
    But alarm bells are ringing as temps are rising fast, yesterday the frost on my windscreen of my parked car didnt melt (Its in the shade) Today its melting. Temp has gone from -1.1c around 10.45 now up to 2.1c. If anything its going to be rain.

Ya your probably right...I wont believe it until I see it..Doubting Thomas that I am..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

What an adventure getting to the shops. Had to be pulled out of drifts twice by local farmers.
    More importantly my alcohol supplies are replenished.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Ya your probably right...I wont believe it until I see it..Doubting Thomas that I am..
    I hope not, that means a repeat of christmas day. Probably take hours to get home on the ice.

Does it go beyond 4pm i.e when it pushes further south?

The same models has the blob of precipitation over the SW during the evening. You can see for yourself on the link I posted. Just click on "Nebhor" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Relax lads. In the words of the Donegal Postman - "The snow will fall though the temps may rise, the fox has married the badger and the hare has shiny eyes. The sun is orange and the hills are red, the crow is building a nest inside the shed."

What a poet he is.

Anyway, check out http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php or http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm for temps.

Still -2c here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

So cold here today I put pajama bottoms on under my trousers for extra leg warmth as I have no long johns...plus an extra t-shirt to the t shirt I put on at the start of the cold spell.
    It felt a bit extreme out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

morning all - sweet lord.. The snow is still same as yesterday. 10 cm solid snow now.. frozen solid.... Car is going no where ... funnily enough very few cars on road have moved... Walk into town me thinks.....

Temp close to a full 1.0c now. Looking forward to some lovely rain to turn into ice, melt the bit of snow that's left, and general make a pigs arse out of everything as the frost sets in again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I think that's called winter isn't it?:confused:

Indeed it is rua. Apologies for causing you to go into a state of confusion. However I am of the opinion this is not a usual winter. If I may be so bold to say that. Indeed the fact the Posititive Weather Solutions felt the need to issue a weather statement on the continuation of this current weather would indicate to this. Your statement "I think that's called winter isn't it?" suggests that this is a regular old winter. I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Temp close to a full 1.0c now. Looking forward to some lovely rain to turn into ice, melt the bit of snow that's left, and general make a pigs arse out of everything as the frost sets in again tonight.

Where are you DE? -2.3 in Oranmore on latest IWN update...
    Hope to God you're wrong on the rain, the roads will be lethal if that happens. I've to drive to Dublin Airport tomorrow and not looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

malman wrote: »
    Indeed it is rua. Apologies for causing you to go into a state of confusion. However I am of the opinion this is not a usual winter. If I may be so bold to say that. Indeed the fact the Posititive Weather Solutions felt the need to issue a weather statement on the continuation of this current weather would indicate to this. Your statement "I think that's called winter isn't it?" suggests that this is a regular old winter. I think not.

It's not a regular winter, it was predicted by those who tell us what is happening with the climate it would be a normal to above average winter for temperature.
    It was on CNN we are about 4 to 8C below normal.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Where are you DE? -2.3 in Oranmore on latest IWN update...
    Hope to God you're wrong on the rain, the roads will be lethal if that happens. I've to drive to Dublin Airport tomorrow and not looking forward to it!

In Tuam Zippy. 1.0c the IWN map dosen't seem to update very well NRA temps as it is currently 2 hours behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temp has risen quite a bit in the last three hours.

Temperature: -5.0 °C
    Dew Point: -5.3 °C

Was -9.8 @ 9am.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Maynooth- temperature constant, minus 5.8
    Visibility falling, now 20m, in freezing fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

In Tuam Zippy. 1.0c the IWN map dosen't seem to update very well NRA temps as it is currently 2 hours behind.
    updated about 5 mins ago i think
    http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

smccarrick wrote: »
    Maynooth- temperature constant, minus 5.8
    Visibility falling, now 20m, in freezing fog.

Whereabouts in Maynooth are you? I'm fascinated by the microclimates - I've -2.7C in the SW corner of Kingsbry. The fog is every bit as bad here, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭thomasj

I notice that netweather have a high probability of snow for dublin from tonight onwards
    but it says small amounts.

how accurate would that be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Yeah, NRA updates very slow recently. Up to 1C in Claremorris and 0C in Knock now, seems to be warming up alright, -2.1 in Oranmore. I find Galway city centre usually about 2 degrees warmer than Doughiska, not far from Oranmore, so I suspect its getting above freezing here too.

1.1c now. Sun is shinning still. Actually, I hope it rains, I hope it turns black as hell, I hope it spills blood from the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So am I; I have a very bad feeling about today. Not usually this cranky.

Fog clearing here to clear and bright sun.

Dazzles the eyes.
    I'm west of that line,fingers crossed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

thomasj wrote: »
    I notice that netweather have a high probability of snow for dublin from tonight onwards
    but it says small amounts.

how accurate would that be ?
    Netweather are fairly on the ball with their forcasts:cool:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement