Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gothwalk wrote: »
    Whereabouts in Maynooth are you? I'm fascinated by the microclimates - I've -2.7C in the SW corner of Kingsbry. The fog is every bit as bad here, though.

Maynooth Business Campus- on the back road to Sallins.
    I think our heating has just failed too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Its so hard to walk on footpaths out there, its shocking, you have to walk on the road, the footpaths should really be gritted. Think of all the people falling breaking bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so it seems those in west and south west who want snow will have to go to their local mountain.

i'd be pissed off but i've become immune to these letdowns at this stage. so i'm just looking forward to seeing how cold the temperatures get this weekend before the "less cold" weather sets in next week

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Great ideas

I have lost count of the layers now. Sleeping under a huge weight too.

I have a half chicken with stuffing and potatoes roasting in the oven and am about to add a syrup sponge with lemon topping.. Comfort food time.
    Min wrote: »
    So cold here today I put pajama bottoms on under my trousers for extra leg warmth as I have no long johns...plus an extra t-shirt to the t shirt I put on at the start of the cold spell.
    It felt a bit extreme out today.

1.1c now. Sun is shinning still. Actually, I hope it rains, I hope it turns black as hell, I hope it spills blood from the sky.

yep let it all out paddy1. it's the only way:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Poitin, rather than poetry?;)

p
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Relax lads. In the words of the Donegal Postman - "The snow will fall though the temps may rise, the fox has married the badger and the hare has shiny eyes. The sun is orange and the hills are red, the crow is building a nest inside the shed."

What a poet he is.

Anyway, check out http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php or http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm for temps.

Still -2c here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

jenzz wrote: »
    morning all - sweet lord.. The snow is still same as yesterday. 10 cm solid snow now.. frozen solid.... Car is going no where ... funnily enough very few cars on road have moved... Walk into town me thinks.....

10cm :eek:

still -4 here lovely sunny day kidding you into going out,then bam youre freezing by the time you reach the end of the drive.
    school's all closed here silly really road's are fine didnt really get that much snow here.
    what is the highest total snowfall that anyone has measured???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

We have been starved of snow here in Limerick. I am so jealous of everyone who has gotten snow. Nothing here for days excpet a dusting one evening.

But well we get it this evening?? Will that band come? It seems to be very slow moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

so it seems those in west and south west who want snow will have to go to their local mountain.
    Nacho...i presume this is you doing your 'fear the worst and hope it will be better' moment?

Hold your horses for an hour or two. You might be pleasantly surprised. There is expecetd to be a brief warming of the uppers ahead of this system. Temps will drop back.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Nacho...i presume this is you doing your 'fear the worst and hope it will be better' moment?

Hold your horses for an hour or two. You might be pleasantly surprised. There is expecetd to be a brief warming of the uppers ahead of this system. Temps will drop back.

yep it is:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Graces7 wrote: »
    Great ideas

I have lost count of the layers now. Sleeping under a huge weight too.

I have a half chicken with stuffing and potatoes roasting in the oven and am about to add a syrup sponge with lemon topping.. Comfort food time.

That sounds really nice right now, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

smccarrick wrote: »
    Maynooth Business Campus- on the back road to Sallins.
    I think our heating has just failed too :(

Jaysis. Well, if you need to nip across here to warm up, I've a good few radiators going full blast... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

dedon wrote: »
    We have been starved of snow here in Limerick. I am so jealous of everyone who has gotten snow. Nothing here for days excpet a dusting one evening.

But well we get it this evening?? Will that band come? It seems to be very slow moving

the later the better never seems to snow out west when its daytime. nacho libre is getting very negative - i hope it won't be rain as that will be worse than snow in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Latest Sky news long range forecast is up on sky active.

For sunday, still the white out over Ireland and "bombarded with heavy significant snow" were the words she used :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

Its so hard to walk on footpaths out there, its shocking, you have to walk on the road, the footpaths should really be gritted. Think of all the people falling breaking bones.

Yeah tonight I am going to put lots of Screws in the Sole of a pair of old boots for safe ice walking ,,Dublin city center paths are crazy with no snow for traction.

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

http://whyrun.wordpress.com/2008/02/04/49-screw-shoes/

DOWNGRADE FROM ME

Weather Warning

Issued at 07 January 2010 - 12:30

Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow will spread into the northwest and west today and early tonight - and may affect the southwest and south tonight also - but will clear away from all parts during the night. Further accumulations of 2 to 6 cms of snow may occur in places.
    Widespread frosty and icy conditions across the country will persist also with patchy freezing fog.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

gothwalk wrote: »
    Jaysis. Well, if you need to nip across here to warm up, I've a good few radiators going full blast... :)

I'm just tidying stuff up, and am going to get out of here ASAP...... the Management Company have a repair guy turning up in the afternoon one way or the other. Thanks for the offer though- you really feel the cold especially in your toes and fingers. Its really interesting typing- when you've no feelings whatsoever in your fingers.........

the later the better never seems to snow out west when its daytime. nacho libre is getting very negative - i hope it won't be rain as that will be worse than snow in the morning.

well i don't want to be seen to be too effusive in praising to anyone but su campu has been right in most of his predictions so far. his latest forecast wasn't very promising for snow at lower level out of this trough(?). neither was snowaddicts or snowbies over on iwn. i obviously am hoping we get snow but i feel i'm being realistic rather than negative based on what all these people have said.

yep let it all out paddy1. it's the only way:D

Hi Nacho. Why do you think it wont snow? Will the temps be too high this evening?

well i don't want to be seen to be too effusive in praising to anyone but su campu has been right in most of his predictions so far. his latest forecast wasn't very promising for snow at lower level out of this trough(?). neither was snowaddicts or snowbies over on iwn. i obviously am hoping we get snow but i feel i'm being realistic rather than negative based on what all these people have said.
    realistic???what do you think this is - the science section of boards.ie?:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Im estimating 4:30 we should see snow.

snowbie is a bit more optimistic on iwn! it seems to be moving a lot slower than anticipated or am i wrong in saying that?

Jumpy wrote: »
    Im estimating 4:30 we should see snow.

I really hope so. We have really gotten a raw deal down here.

I really hope so. We have really gotten a raw deal down here.

excuse the pun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

the snowfall to end all snowfalls

snowbie is a bit more optimistic on iwn! it seems to be moving a lot slower than anticipated or am i wrong in saying that?

i have not checked the site today but last night his analysis wasn't very inspiring - unless you live on high ground.

excuse the pun!

Ha Ha ya I know. Pun intend haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

Just saw this pic of the Liffey yesterday.....looks chilly!

FrozenLiffey.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

highdef wrote: »
    Just saw this pic of the Liffey yesterday.....looks chilly!

FrozenLiffey.jpg

Beautiful picture I must say. Just on this now, can someone give me a quick update on what is expected from today?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement