Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest Met Eireann warning still goes for 2 to 6 cms for the west/south west today/tonight. But remember their warning for yesterday was for 3 to 5 cm for the east and several places got a lot more than that, especially over high ground.

Will be interesting but I fear heartbreak and sleety rain for some!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

They have an updated long range forecast on active today, the one online is yesterday's. Still the same white out, but now using the words "bombarded with heavy significant snowfall".
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Rambling rose

printer.gif Printimage?url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.breakingnews.ie%2fireland%2fcold-weather-set-to-continue-into-march-441019.html&pId=Js%2bcko7fyno%3d&title=Cold+weather+set+to+continue+into+Marchemail.gif Email+add.gif Share+
    snowincork.jpg
    07/01/2010 - 09:22:06
    The current spell of bitterly cold weather is set to continue until around March, according to predictions issued today.

According to Jonathan Powell from Positive Weather Solutions, the current cold snap will continue until "the latter part of February or early part of March", interspersed with the occasional day or two of mild weather.

"This would be the case for both Ireland and the UK, and most of northern Europe, in fact," said Powell.

The west and northwest of Ireland are braced for worsening weather conditions later today after the east ground to a near-standstill yesterday.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/cold-weather-set-to-continue-into-march-441019.html#ixzz0bvk5eQ7v

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭FuzzyZoeller

Hi All,

Feeling guilty that I have been lurking around here for so long, I though I'd better post :D

Temp up to a balmy -2.1 here in Naas (from a low of -8.1 overnight).

No fog but grey and overcast.

It's a winter wonderland outside but I'm dreading the next gas bill :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

As it was descibed on another page last night - if yesterday brought the east to a standstill sundays one if it comes off, will be " The day after tomorrow":D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Latest Met Eireann warning still goes for 2 to 6 cms for the west/south west today/tonight. But remember their warning for yesterday was for 3 to 5 cm for the east and several places got a lot more than that, especially over high ground.

Will be interesting but I fear heartbreak and sleety rain for some!

Why I thought it is to be freezing tonight. Its freezing here in Limerick at the moment. Are the temps due to rise this evening or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

it seems to be moving a lot slower than anticipated or am i wrong in saying that?

You are right Munster. This is out of kilter with all models.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Latest Sky news long range forecast is up on sky active.

For sunday, still the white out over Ireland and "bombarded with heavy significant snow" were the words she used :-)

Not like SKY to hype up something that may or may not happen, is it :rolleyes: ?

Does it go beyond 4pm i.e when it pushes further south?
    Ecm says no to the Eastern movement.
    It has the potential to give a good dumping to the likes of Millstreet and macroom in west cork though in my opinion and obviously into co Kerry.
    Cork city is marginal on two scores.
    Whether the precip will get there heavy enough or at all and the dewpoints may be too high due to the maratime mixing.
    You'd need to be inland and have a bit of height or adjacency to height to counter that.

100107_0000_24.png

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

the radio forecast just there was fairly positive- the forecaster indicated the precipitation will make it into most of connacht and some places can expect 3-5cm

• Advertisement

TarfHead wrote: »
    Not like SKY to hype up something that may or may not happen, is it :rolleyes: ?
    Uhm..their forecasters are met office trained.. 2 of them are ex BBC met office.

uksnowrisk.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=307d9cd87b3840367b684066aaad4b397b6840b0&dopsig=732bfb1075dcff0fa0da96ad21b78d20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

the radio forecast just there was fairly positive- the forecaster indicated the precipitation will make it into most of connacht and some places can expect 3-5cm

Excellent. I really hope it comes true. Do you think it will come as far as Limerick city?

The later it arrives the better right? As it will be colder?

dedon wrote: »
    Excellent. I really hope it comes true. Do you think it will come as far as Limerick city?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

seems to be a bit of activity out to the north of Donegal/Derry. Could this be our front we are waiting for? It seems to have slowed down, teasing us?

Why I thought it is to be freezing tonight. Its freezing here in Limerick at the moment. Are the temps due to rise this evening or something?

Temps may be marginal or just too high for snow in areas nearest the coast in the west, northwest, so there is a likelihood it would fall as sleet/rain there. Further inland or on higher ground it should be snow.

Hard to know exactly what'll happen but thats the most likely I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

i'll get my ticket if the bbc forecast starts saying similar things.

Uhm..their forecasters are met office trained.. 2 of them are ex BBC met office.

Exactly. And their graphics are just a skin on top of the model output that everyone else is looking at anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

is dublin goin to get anythin like yesterday?

• Advertisement

BB have you seen the 06Z GFS? Looks like you could be seeing fresh snow every day for a few days starting Friday. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Definitely if the sky forecast is to come true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

did it mention munster at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Elmo5 wrote: »
    Definitely if the sky forecast is to come true.

Or not if the +5c temps they forecast come to pass :rolleyes:

Whereabouts are you in north cork again?

RTE News just did. Weather on in 10 mins.

The later it arrives the better right? As it will be colder?

yes i think so.
    also, the further inland you are the better. failing that i hope you live on high ground. if you don't, then if you have any friends or family that live on high ground, i suggest you pay them a visit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Im really sick of the snow now.......havent been able to get out to work at all this week as the gritters cant get upor down the hill I live on :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So is this band of snow going to miss west ulster?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement