Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

jay28 wrote: »
    Im really sick of the snow now.......havent been able to get out to work at all this week as the gritters cant get upor down the hill I live on :mad:
    most people would be gald not to be able to go to work u have a snow week id like a snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Pangea wrote: »
    So is this band of snow going to miss west ulster?
    I am sticking with that line from West Donegal down to West Cork.
    http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63845911&postcount=829

Good coverage by Rte in One News

Nice timeline by RTE here too
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weathertransportupdates.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Is their a chance Dublin will get snow later this evening/night??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Nice one , karina buckley said heavy snow showers expected in ulster today and connaught, then munster

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Is their a chance Dublin will get snow later this evening/night??
    yes later tonight and then continually into the early days of next week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Serious downgrade there from Met Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I am sticking with that line from West Donegal down to West Cork.
    http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63845911&postcount=829

Good coverage by Rte in One News

Nice timeline by RTE here too
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weathertransportupdates.html
    thanks wolf ,so everything to the left of that line? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Hi All,

Feeling guilty that I have been lurking around here for so long, I though I'd better post :D

Temp up to a balmy -2.1 here in Naas (from a low of -8.1 overnight).

No fog but grey and overcast.

It's a winter wonderland outside but I'm dreading the next gas bill :eek:

Another Naas person !!! :pac:

It really is lovely down there at the moment, no thaw at all and everything white

Looking forward to a top up on it soon !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yes indeed there very bullish on this event going ahead.
    They keep showing it first every 15 minutes today,so there very concerned.

Met Eireann don't seem too interested........YET.

gfs-0-75-3h.png?6

gfs-2-75-3h.png?6

gfs_66-72_3.png

met.72.png

PPVL89.png

ecm500.072.png

t850Dublin.png

prectypeuktopo.png

ukpaneltemp.png

So just a view there on what some of the models are saying at the moment,

ONE SNOWFALL TO RULE THEM ALL???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

i'll get my ticket if the bbc forecast starts saying similar things.

Met Office precipitation chart for midnight Sunday shows the exact same as Sky, just a different graphics skin :

149sc40.jpg

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_radar.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Bond-007 wrote: »

for the west tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Line looks good Wolf according to ME. Also look spromising for Cork on Sunday and the graphic, showed the same for Monday.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    For the weekend esp Sunday.

Left of black line. Just my guess Pangea :)

I thought it was an upgrade for the medium term Bond. daytime temps of -4 for west:eek: Snow for east, south and SW from Sunday with showery activity on east coast from tonight.

Also no indication of a breakdown next week from them

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭candy19

Nice one , karina buckley said heavy snow showers expected in ulster today and connaught, then munster

Hey there Pangea!

How did you's manage last night, get much if any snow??

Dublin is in such a mess!! Housebound today!

Roll on Sunday, looks like the east coast is going to get a pasting!

Wouldn't it be nice if our exams were cancelled!!:D

07 January 2010 12:06

Today Outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow will spread southwards across much of the west and northwest today or early tonight, and will give further falls of snow in places. Ahead of this, and in other parts of the country, it will be dry in general, though there will be a few scattered wintry showers (mainly along the north and southwest coasts). Freezing fog will persist in places, and even in sunnier areas it will remain very cold. Highest temperatures will range - 3 to + 3 C.
    Tonight

The wintry precipitation (and snowfall risk) in the west and northwest may spread into the southwest and south for a time early tonight - but will clear away from all parts overnight. Along the east and southeast coasts scattered hail and snow showers will move in from the Irish Sea at times tonight, but are unlikely to be heavy. Otherwise it will be dry. Frosty, icy conditions will occur widely again, with patches of freezing fog also. Temperatures will be below 0 C virtually everywhere - falling below - 5 C in many areas and going beyond - 10 C in a few sheltered places. hr.gif

Tomorrow

Dry and bright in most tomorrow, but contining risk of a wintry shower near the east and southeast coasts. Freezing fog may persist again. Highest temperatures - 3 to + 3 C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Mr. Larson

RTE Weather just forecast *some* snow showers for the coastal areas from Dublin to Wexford for tomorrow and Saturday. More snow Showers in the South and Southeast on Sunday. Most other areas dry and bright according to RTE. Althogh, those 'giant cloud' graphics cover about 30sq miles so who knows. Surprised at the lack of snow forecast in other areas :confused: especially on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    yes later tonight and then continually into the early days of next week

You're not serious, are you?

I'm just about sick of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

From RTE timeline--11.42: The Road Safety Authority (RSA) has said that driving tests for today and tomorrow have been cancelled.

Why?If you can drive in those conditions you should get your licence, I say go ahead with the driving tests

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

A hell of a lot of fog has just moved in here in the last 30 minutes, came in really quick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

some really low clouds starting to close in here in south kilkenny, look heavy, like the sort that brought snow yestterday just lower. Temp -3.6, DP -3.9 atm. Is it possible that snow is on the way, and is too low for the radar to detect?? Winds NE atm

some really low clouds starting to close in here in south kilkenny, look heavy, like the sort that brought snow yestterday just lower. Temp -3.6, DP -3.9 atm. Is it possible that snow is on the way, and is too low for the radar to detect?? Winds NE atm

Ya wont see any snow today. Good chance of seeing snow showers again Saturday and Sunday, maybe even Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Whereabouts are you in north cork again?

near mallow..just on the inside edge of wolfe's black line!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

The low that currently moving into SE England, what affect will this have on us as it moves westerly? Is this the low that we're expecting to bring snow on Saturday/Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

Any guesses as to how Navan will do over the next few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Ill buy me ticket now thanks.....

Anyone know if tesco are doing deliveries :D:D Like how can you run out of beans ?? Theres always millions cans in my presses.

As of this morn... No Butter/Bread/Milk/cheese/ham/coco pops/Jam/gravy/chips/potatoes

I do have however 3 bags frozen brocolli, 2 carrots & 8 potato waffles... Oh & 6 tins of quality st.... You cant walk on paths or roads & the local shop if you can get there is reporting no deliveries & are running down rapidly..... its mad funny in a way :D

RTE Weather just forecast *some* snow showers for the coastal areas from Dublin to Wexford for tomorrow and Saturday. More snow Showers in the South and Southeast on Sunday. Most other areas dry and bright according to RTE. Althogh, those 'giant cloud' graphics cover about 30sq miles so who knows. Surprised at the lack of snow forecast in other areas :confused: especially on Sunday.
    They are so over cautious.

near mallow..just on the inside edge of wolfe's black line!

Ah yeah, I'd be surprised if you miss out on some precipiation from this.
    Whether it'll be snow or rain or sleet....who knows... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here's a chart I've drawn up of what I think will be the snowlines and total snowfalls today, based on predicted 850hPa Theta W values.

West and northwest facing slopes may have slightly higher depths, but the figure gives the average depths for the area outlined

• Advertisement

GavinH wrote: »
    The low that currently moving into SE England, what affect will this have on us as it moves westerly?
    it may also effect the southerly track of the system this evening by reducing snow potential for inland parts of west and north munster.

regional updates for ME are a downgrade from their 12.30pm weather warning :mad:

Fingers, legs, noses crossed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement