Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

According to the nra....met.ie and the mighty Villain (-16.1) the temp in carlow was the lowest in the country! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ah yeah, I'd be surprised if you miss out on some precipiation from this.
    Whether it'll be snow or rain or sleet....who knows... :pac:

well it may have fizzled out as by then - also am a bit worried that they only say may in the warning for south and south west or that it may only be on the western fringes.

all will be revealed later! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

@ Snaps as he in SEMayo and everyone else. I'm just 1/2 mile from the shore of Lough Mask and all to the west has snow, A pic from Hollymount just 7 miles NE has snow and all I can see is defrosting fields around me. Does the Lake effect my snowfall:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

oldmillgal wrote: »
    According to the nra....met.ie and the mighty Villain (-16.1) the temp in carlow was the lowest in the country! :)

Woo, we're number 1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

From Ricky Gervais Twitter:

Just saw an old lady in a wheelchair struggling up a hill. Was going to help but it was snowing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Defcol wrote: »
    Any guesses as to how Navan will do over the next few days?

Hiya Defcol. I live in Navan but haven't been home since Monday morning. I am staying with my parents in Dublin. It was supposed to have been very treacherous last night. AA roadwatch is giving warnings about the roads around Meath in particular at the moment. I don't intend travelling back until I hear there is a thaw on....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

well it may have fizzled out as by then - also am a bit worried that they only say may in the warning for south and south west or that it may only be on the western fringes.

all will be revealed later! :)

GFS 06Z is not expecting it to fizzle out, it expects the precipitation to intensify as it reaches the southwest :

ukprec.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Fear Sneachta

jenzz wrote: »
    Ill buy me ticket now thanks.....

Anyone know if tesco are doing deliveries :D:D Like how can you run out of beans ?? Theres always millions cans in my presses.

As of this morn... No Butter/Bread/Milk/cheese/ham/coco pops/Jam/gravy/chips/potatoes

I do have however 3 bags frozen brocolli, 2 carrots & 8 potato waffles... Oh & 6 tins of quality st.... You cant walk on paths or roads & the local shop if you can get there is reporting no deliveries & are running down rapidly..... its mad funny in a way :D

Hey Jenzz, any idea what road conditions are like in Bray North? I work on the Killarney Road and am wondering if I should risk driving or not, I have to be in at 6. Yesterday was a disaster, had to leave my car in the hard shoulder just before the M11 exit at Hills Garage, Damn RWD BMWs!!!

Also looking at the charts for Sunday, it could be another big event, although we seem to do much better from Irish Sea Streamers than fronts that sometimes bring in milder air meaning rain and sleet here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Esroh wrote: »
    @ Snaps as he in SEMayo and everyone else. I'm just 1/2 mile from the shore of Lough Mask and all to the west has snow, A pic from Hollymount just 7 miles NE has snow and all I can see is defrosting fields around me. Does the Lake effect my snowfall:confused:

Yes water will affect snowfall, but lough mask is to small really to have an effect on the weather for you. Lough corib now possibly could influence the weather.

We've got a fair bit of snow still lying here out of the sun, Im in Ballinrobe, On the Kilmaine road.

The mountains (Devils mother, Mont Gable) look stunning as i look across to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

What is the ETA for the front?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Su Campu wrote: »
    Here's a chart I've drawn up of what I think will be the snowlines and total snowfalls today, based on predicted 850hPa Theta W values.

West and northwest facing slopes may have slightly higher depths, but the figure gives the average depths for the area outlined

Hi Su,

I am currently in the middle band. So do you believe that if your under 600FT ASl, that it will fall as rain?

Thanks

G

GFS 06Z is not expecting it to fizzle out, it expects the precipitation to intensify as it reaches the southwest :

ukprec.png

we live in hope another worry is that it will be rain/sleet as su campu seems to think. only positive it will be nightfall when it reaches here.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Be seriously careful on the estate roads guys, I've skidded this morning knocking a low brick wall over in my estate. It's deadly now with the NYE's snow compacted into ice and the latest snowfall on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭Shane732

maquiladora will that precipitation make it across the whole country - i.e. towards Dublin?!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

It's not actually that bad, the town is somewhat slippy and secondary roads aren't great but i drove from the town center up the N3 to Blanchardstown this morning in 1 hour 10 Mins
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    Hiya Defcol. I live in Navan but haven't been home since Monday morning. I am staying with my parents in Dublin. It was supposed to have been very treacherous last night. AA roadwatch is giving warnings about the roads around Meath in particular at the moment. I don't intend travelling back until I hear there is a thaw on....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

13.30 UKMO radar is picking up percip into Donegal now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

precip should be hitting parts of west donegal shortly.

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=vis

Timistry wrote: »
    What is the ETA for the front?

For Kerry? Probably early evening.

snaps wrote: »
    13.30 UKMO radar is picking up percip into Donegal now!

You can watch it on the satellite loop here :

http://www.sat24.com/gb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Defcol wrote: »
    It's not actually that bad, the town is somewhat slippy and secondary roads aren't great but i drove from the town center up the N3 to Blanchardstown this morning in 1 hour 10 Mins

Thanks for that. I work in Cabinteely. I live on the north side of Navan. Would you think the M50/N3 would be ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    precip should be hitting parts of west donegal shortly.

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=vis

Wow look how green and unsnowy Ireland looks compared to britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Ice nearly thawed on one side of the footpath on Rathmines Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Feic off snow, how anyone, apart from maybe those who had none yet, look forward to more I just don't understand. Anyone who has been surrounded by solid ice and snow since near enough Christmas would disagree with alot of the silly wishes of people around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

some really low clouds starting to close in here in south kilkenny, look heavy, like the sort that brought snow yestterday just lower. Temp -3.6, DP -3.9 atm. Is it possible that snow is on the way, and is too low for the radar to detect?? Winds NE atm

Yeah, spotted those as well. Nothing happening here yet though.

Temp still rising...

Kilkenny City outskirts...

Temperature: -3.0 °C
    Dew Point: -3.3 °C

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Snowaddict

On the Lunchtime Broadcast, it was mentioned by John Gormley that Gerard Fleming of Met Eireann was present at today's emergency meeting.

John Gormley also revealed that Gerard Fleming told them that is was conceivable that this could last for at least another ten days. Therefore, there must a good 40% + perturbations in the latest ECMWF Ensemble suite indicating a continuation of these conditions.

The overnight Operational ECMWF evolution was more bullish about this continuation also, with winds generally coming from a variable Easterly vector throughout.

For example: T+216

100107_0000_216.png

The crunch comes later next week as to how the evolution progresses, if low pressure does not make inroads across the country & there is no rapid breakdown, then this could easily redevelop and become potent again.

UKMO say there is a signal for slightly less cold conditions, beginning around the 17th, but that has been mentioned on & off with the past several days, with the date being continually pushed further out..

Next week is really the ''crunch''. If we see a favourable evolution, with undercutting lows not making inroads & a renewed displaced Polar Vortex, then this general pattern could be locked in for some time.

Davo D wrote: »
    Wow look how green and unsnowy Ireland looks compared to britain.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/3hour.asp

looks like it seems to be closer to the coast than inland. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Hey Jenzz, any idea what road conditions are like in Bray North? I work on the Killarney Road and am wondering if I should risk driving or not, I have to be in at 6. Yesterday was a disaster, had to leave my car in the hard shoulder just before the M11 exit at Hills Garage, Damn RWD BMWs!!!

Also looking at the charts for Sunday, it could be another big event, although we seem to do much better from Irish Sea Streamers than fronts that sometimes bring in milder air meaning rain and sleet here!

I live off Killarney rd my mum lives on it.. She walked to work in the town but said the footpaths are so dangerous. She turned back at Glencourt and went through Ardmore just to get to the bottom at Rathclaren. 2 vans had spun 360 on the killarney hill.. sheet glass. The main st is lethal - very little grit. Shop owners are trying to grit outside their own as so dangerous. None or little thaw on up at dads ( north killarney rd near East coast) . Very little traffic. Would imagine bad !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

not anymore.

the 3pm to 4pm change was huge
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Defcol

I know the M50 Blanchardstown roundabout is a disaster but once you get to the end of the N3 dual carriage way after Dunboyne it's grand. I'm up near Ballycoolin so i don't have to go near the M50 bit , thank god!
    Ally Dick wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I work in Cabinteely. I live on the north side of Navan. Would you think the M50/N3 would be ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement