Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 la gordita

footpaths in city centre - are they lethal with ice or safe enough? have to head up to capel street later and if they anything like here, it may not be worth my while!

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They are so over cautious.
    Indeed.

It would appear that the snow fall risk sky news are mentioning [not mentioned on bbc news 24 at all really but they are loathe to go out that far-they did hint at it getting colder still in the coming days though!]..
    It would appear it's Tomaz shafnakers low from that infamous country tracks forecast last sunday that he had giving major snowfall to the south east of the UK tomorrow I think.

Ecm's 0z run is not shy to put a lot of precip into the East and south on sunday- monday

We shall see.

par example :

100107_0000_96.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Correct SA the UKMO has just announced another 10 days of freezing cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

hi wolf im in galway what the hell does that chart mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

If Lisa Burke can't thaw us out it must be bloody cold! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    not anymore.

the 3pm to 4pm change was huge
    3hr-rain.gif

is that a lot further inland than envisaged? thats the one i was referring to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Lisa wouldn't lie to us would she?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=101347&stc=1&d=1262872997

• Registered Users Posts: 2 guardygirl

Is it more or less energy efficient to keep heating on all day during this cold snap? Or should it come on in morning, go off for few hours during day and come back on around 4pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

excellent. dare i say it... (no i better not)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Indeed.

It would appear that the snow fall risk sky news are mentioning [not mentioned on bbc news 24 at all really but they are loathe to go out that far-they did hint at it getting colder still in the coming days though!]..
    It would appear it's Tomaz shafnakers low from that infamous country tracks forecast last sunday that he had giving major snowfall to the south east of the UK tomorrow I think.

Ecm's 0z run is not shy to put a lot of precip into the East and south on sunday- monday

We shall see.
    You mean Tomaz shannafukfer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

jenzz wrote: »
    I live off Killarney rd my mum lives on it.. She walked to work in the town but said the footpaths are so dangerous. She turned back at Glencourt and went through Ardmore just to get to the bottom at Rathclaren. 2 vans had spun 360 on the killarney hill.. sheet glass. The main st is lethal - very little grit. Shop owners are trying to grit outside their own as so dangerous. None or little thaw on up at dads ( north killarney rd near East coast) . Very little traffic. Would imagine bad !:D

I went through the petrol garage cos they were spinning on the roundabout at the top of the hill. Going down the hill was really quite scary. On way back i went up the left hill to the roundabout at Woodies turn off. Was making good progress til the numpty in front of me stopped. Took me 5 mins of wheel spinning to get going again. I couldnt get over how frozen Bray was compared with Gstones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

candy19 wrote: »
    Hey there Pangea!

How did you's manage last night, get much if any snow??

Dublin is in such a mess!! Housebound today!

Roll on Sunday, looks like the east coast is going to get a pasting!

Wouldn't it be nice if our exams were cancelled!!:D
    Well candy , got a nice bit of snow last night , over an inch to an inch and a half,
    The snow from the last day which was 2 inches is frozen under that now so theres plenty of the white stuff here. :)
    Also Letterkenny IT exams postponed for another 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Hey Jenzz, any idea what road conditions are like in Bray North? I work on the Killarney Road and am wondering if I should risk driving or not, I have to be in at 6. Yesterday was a disaster, had to leave my car in the hard shoulder just before the M11 exit at Hills Garage, Damn RWD BMWs!!!

It wasn’t bad this morning just after 10am, I came across from Bray Head along the Southern Cross and to Hills roundabout to the N11 Northbound and all the approaches to the roundabouts and the roundabouts themselves were very heavily gritted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

la gordita wrote: »
    footpaths in city centre - are they lethal with ice or safe enough? have to head up to capel street later and if they anything like here, it may not be worth my while!

Lethal.
    If you don't have boots with good rubber soles- don't even think about it.
    Kildare Street is about the only street in the city centre that has had its footpaths salted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

as i look out my window there is cloud building freezing cold tho.hope to get some soon .castlebar area

hi wolf im in galway what the hell does that chart mean?
    It shows atmospheric pressure and 3 hour rainfall accumulations (up to 4pm). The colour key is in millimetres (mm).

Sorry Munster, I saw 3pm one when i clicked your link. I refreshed and then saw 4pm. It's pretty much inline with forecast. ME and models indicate it intensifies as it nears the southwest.

how could she with that innocent and lovely smile. she is the hottest forecaster on tv.

where in ireland does she hail from? 12 pm sunday would be interesting based on that. still prefer if it was at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I have to fly in to Dublin from Manchester on Sunday night. It's not looking good. :-(

where in ireland does she hail from? 12 pm sunday would be interesting absed on that. still prefer if it was at night!
    Laois I think...sounds like she picked her accent up from Nicole Kidman in Far and Away:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Indeed.

They might not have shown it on the TV forecast, but here is precip chart for midnight Sunday from UK Meto website :

149sc40.jpg

Replace the blue with animated snowflakes and its the same how the Sky forecast looks. ;)

still it does look too good to be true. could we be that lucky? could we:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Laois I think...sounds like she picked her accent up from Nicole Kidman in Far and Away:pac:

She's from Carlow:) Looking good for Cork so! I'm excited again:) We might finally get it.

still it does look too good to be true. could we that lucky? could we:D

it would probably be rain for me. i just know it!

how could she with that innocent and lovely smile. she is the hottest forecaster on tv.
    Did anyone see Ursuala Bracken the last day, she was smoking hot ,looks like a P0^n star :D
    Also did anyone hear the long conversation about jean byrne on ray darcy show yday ,everyone talking about how hot she is and the notorious christmas day outfit ;)

leahyl wrote: »
    She's from Carlow:) Looking good for Cork so! I'm excited again:) We might finally get it.

well hello stranger! i thought u had lost all hope. its definately not going to snow in cork where we are if both of us are here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I am between houses at moment, currently in rural part of Louth, I've no transport, 4x4 was left in to mechanics for works during weekend. No buses here roads are bad from yesterdays snow. I might be stuck here for a few more days, just wondering whats the odds on big snow over next few days to weekend, would'nt mind preparing if its fairly high.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

thanks wolfe, im a newbie to this, holy crap lisa on sky news what a cracker, i tend to miss the weather forecast entirely when she does it, on rte i normally remember it, barr that time your one wore that tinfoil dress she was bursting out of it, its still in my head!, sunday on sky there looks like a dream for snow lovers, only thing sky can have that loop a day or two behind, when was that updated

Laois I think...sounds like she picked her accent up from Nicole Kidman in Far and Away

Lisa burke moved to england when she was like 10, so she has a mixed england irish accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 oldmillgal

where in ireland does she hail from? 12 pm sunday would be interesting based on that. still prefer if it was at night!

:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement