Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Fog starting to desend on the redcow now, should make the comute home interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The town of Woodford situated in a scenic area of Southeast County Galway, bounded on the one side by the Shannon River, the longest river in Ireland, and on the other side by the Slieve Aughty mountains. The Shannon widens out into the broad expanse of Lough Derg at Portumna and this, the largest lake on the Shannon, extends south as far as Killaloe. The lake frames the horizon as one looks east from Woodford and affords marvellous views when looking down on it from the heights of the Slieve Aughty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

copied and pasted... still has finglas on the twitter
    Finglas is more appropriate considering the state of the glass like roads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Patience, young person;)

mailed twice already! Thick fog...

Been mopping up and investigating the small flood; looked up in the room and saw a small row of icicles on the ceiling.:(

So hopefully have turned off the feed pipe to the loft? That fills the tank? Is that possible?I know little re plumbing but neither did the guy who installed it here.

The water in the kitchen came back with a great rush; white at first.

The feed pipe to the bathroom/ immersion tank ( and I never use the latter) is outside the house so I am hoping I have stopped any more water rising to the loft.

Left the dehumidifier on in there and a bowl under the leak.

So that is where I have been!!!
    WolfeIRE wrote: »
    any reports from donegal yet? Maybe they all died in a snow storm :confused:
    crying_baby2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

High clouds over me, nothing falling out of them... much lower and darker clouds are dropping something on the mountains over the Northside of Clew Bay... also appears to be very low cloud west of me at the mouth of the bay over Clare Island (which has disappeared).

If it snows here that should be a good indication that further inland will get snow, so I'll keep you updated of what comes down when it eventually hits here... its moving very slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Anyone know if Kerry will have any snow today or early morning? we had a light bit alright this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Was up at lake there Ice is about 9 inchs thick out about 40 meters
    its mad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Speak Now

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Was that weather person thinking she was talking to children?

She always talks to me like that :D
    Strange irish accent she has though.
    Hope it all comes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Going by what I'm seeing happening at upper levels, I think eastern areas could be in for a repeat of yesterday's snowfall from midnight.

The setup is almost identical to what gave us yesterday's snowfall in the east. 700hPa winds shift to northeasterly tonight, and stay like that for at least 12 hrs. 500hPa temperatures will be about 6°C colder, so convection may not be so strong, but with the prolonged northeasterlies, low 850 Theta W values, I think by this time tomorrow, eastern areas could be measuring the same snow depths again over what fell yesterday.

One to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Vain wrote: »
    Anyone know if Kerry will have any snow today or early morning? we had a light bit alright this morning.

possibly some from about 4pm onwards or a little later .... if by the coast then it may be sleet

Some of the mountains over by Slieve Mish seem to have got a bit more snow since this morning but nothing on the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Su Campu wrote: »
    Going by what I'm seeing happening at upper levels, I think eastern areas could be in for a repeat of yesterday's snowfall from midnight.

The setup is almost identical to what gave us yesterday's snowfall in the east. 700hPa winds shift to northeasterly tonight, and stay like that for at least 12 hrs. 500hPa temperatures will be about 6°C colder, so convection may not be so strong, but with the prolonged northeasterlies, low 850 Theta W values, I think by this time tomorrow, eastern areas could be measuring the same snow depths again over what fell yesterday.

One to watch

GFS paints a similar picture for Saturday also.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

Has been cludy most of the day in Ballina with sun breaking through every now and then, temp around 1.5C according to NRA...Looking at wind direction on Magic Seaweed surfing site and its south off the north coast of Mayo so could be holding the front off shore...although the satellite image on http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 shows most of the cloud to have passed down over connaught already with more up around Donegal, the showers may well start after this? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

-2.1c here now. Ye know, I've been thinking, but all those snow events of my childhood, or, what I thought were snow events now pale in comparison! Jeez when I think of what I used to get excited about, a bit of snow falling at night and being half melted come the following lunchtime and by that evening all that'd remain was the brown slop under cars! :p. Have two good years in a row thus far!

But anyway, off to make an improved sleigh now! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One to watch

Now I'm doubly glad i bought enough food to last a week this morning - I had to get pulled from snow drifts twice and had countless other mini adventures, any more snow would be taking the proverbials to be honest. At this stage i have enough thanks very much!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Ya know, if this continues then yer man here will move in !!!!
    04019-3.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jake1 wrote: »
    Anyone in Lucan should avoid the road to the Lucan golf course.Its very slippy. Its kind of on a country road going dowhill. Tubber lane is also an ice rink. Quite misty here too. If we get snow here tonight its going to be very bad.
    be careful everyone. Stay safe.:D

I'd add that the slip road from Dodsborough to the Leixlip slip is pure ice hasn't been gritted or salted. Exercise extreme caution.

One to watch
    Brrrrrr!
    I can see the cloud tops from here of the showers running down the irish sea today-complete with distant cb's and anvils.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

nudges further inland again for 5pm run. taking its time!
    3hr-rain.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Maynooth now minus 3.2c
    Visibility in freezing fog 25m and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The lack of any ppn at this stage to our Northwest would tell me that this system has been over cooked by the models
    It looks like a nothing event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Pangea wrote: »
    Finglas is more appropriate considering the state of the glass like roads:)
    13.02: Members of the public in Fingal are have been reminded not to leave taps running during this cold spell - water supplies in Fingal's principal water reservoir at Ballycoolen are at a critically low level.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weathertransportupdates.html

I think I'd take RTE's word over Twitter in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fog has cleared; heavy dark clouds now and utterly still and ominous.

Praying that this will pass us by.

As I arranged for meds etc this morning on the phone, everyone was pouring out their pain.. In the pharmacy, it had taken an hour and a half for her to get to work. The dr's receptionist had come in from Balleybofey and had had a terrible journey.

The farmer's wife is usually cheerful and calm; she sounded dreadful.

Just is so hard on people to do their work and live their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ccoyle wrote: »
    Was up at lake there Ice is about 9 inchs thick out about 40 meters
    its mad

Your mad if you walked on it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Ye know, I've been thinking, but all those snow events of my childhood, or, what I thought were snow events now pale in comparison!

The innocence of youth!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The lack of any ppn at this stage to our Northwest would tell me that this system has been over cooked by the models
    It looks like a nothing event

Yes im beginning to agree, there is barely anything on the radars. Now the percip charts show it right on the west coast if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Brrrrrr!
    I can see the cloud tops from here of the showers running down the irish sea today-complete with distant cb's and anvils.
    Yes - same here - there is a chain of fluffy cloud-tops out to the East of me over the Irish Sea. The radar seems to show a big shower developing just off the northeast coast at Fair Head - it'll be interesting to see where that goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Clouds are clearing a little again now in Cork City - but this is just the view from my window so could be black clouds on the other side of the building!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weathertransportupdates.html

I think I'd take RTE's word over Twitter in fairness...
    It wasnt me that posted the twitter link dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

just to remind you of the ME warning still in place

Outbreaks of rain, sleet or snow will spread into the northwest and west today and early tonight - and may affect the southwest and south tonight also - but will clear away from all parts during the night. Further accumulations of 2 to 6 cms of snow may occur in places.
    Widespread frosty and icy conditions across the country will persist also with patchy freezing fog.
    hr.gif

also....weather.co.uk showing heavy snow for ennis tonight
    http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Ennis-EIXX0016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

snaps wrote: »
    Your mad if you walked on it

If it's that thick, it's pretty safe - I was terrified of walking on ice the first time I was in Finland in winter, until I saw someone drive across a lake. There're no hard and fast rules, but nine inches is plenty.

My wife saw four or five teenagers walking on the canal ice outside Maynooth railway station yesterday, as well. That's unlikely to be safe, but they seemed to be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement