Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't you dare walk on that ice. That is a horrible way to die. Trapped under ice.. yukk
    ccoyle wrote: »
    Was up at lake there Ice is about 9 inchs thick out about 40 meters
    its mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Actually on the ray darcy show they were saying how many inches is safe to skate on it, i think someone said 4 or 5 but someone said in denmark they open the frozen lakes to skating after 10 inches .

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

+4c in Cork it's going to have to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just accept it...we are not going to see any snow in Cork City. No point in getting your hopes up.

I know how you feel; here it was not drifts but thick white compacted ice... When I finally unlocked the door, a huge sense of victory. I DID IT!

ALLELUIA! HOME AND GOT THE SUPPLIES!

Wish I had bought more now but no more money.
    Supercell wrote: »
    Now I'm doubly glad i bought enough food to last a week this morning - I had to get pulled from snow drifts twice and had countless other mini adventures, any more snow would be taking the proverbials to be honest. At this stage i have enough thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ludo wrote: »
    Just accept it...we are not going to see any snow in Cork City. No point in getting your hopes up.

ah come on now where's your optimism?!:) Never give up hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Pangea wrote: »
    Actually on the ray darcy show they were saying how many inches is safe to skate on it, i think someone said 4 or 5 but someone said in denmark they open the frozen lakes to skating after 10 inches .

The problem is that in scandanavia they know which lakes are safe and which might have thin patches. It only takes one thin patch to drown _ its easier just stay off the lakes, not a nice way to go!!!

If you're really desperate, 7up christmas on ice is still open in places:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Su Campu wrote: »
    Going by what I'm seeing happening at upper levels, I think eastern areas could be in for a repeat of yesterday's snowfall from midnight.

The setup is almost identical to what gave us yesterday's snowfall in the east. 700hPa winds shift to northeasterly tonight, and stay like that for at least 12 hrs. 500hPa temperatures will be about 6°C colder, so convection may not be so strong, but with the prolonged northeasterlies, low 850 Theta W values, I think by this time tomorrow, eastern areas could be measuring the same snow depths again over what fell yesterday.

One to watch

WTF:confused::confused:

I thought no more now till that sunday drama..... Is this for real or someone tryin to kid me ????
    I have been through a half tank of oil since beg dec .. starting to worry a lil:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

There were people walking and even cycling on Loughrea Lake yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Zzippy wrote: »
    There were people walking and even cycling on Loughrea Lake yesterday!

Suicidal maniacs.......

5eyemr.jpg

http://www.northernlife.ca/news/policeandCourt/2009/dec/lakeice-211209.aspx

But you cant trust the ice
    Heres a sobering link

http://66.102.9.132/custom?q=cache:XaqmuPjNl4YJ:www.lifesaving.org/download/Ice%2520Myths.pdf+frozen&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&client=google-coop-np

If there was months and months of ice like 47 , then lakes should solid ice ,but I wouldnt trust them at the moment. Well i would be too afraid it would break, others may not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

smccarrick wrote: »
    Suicidal maniacs.......

If you think thats bad, parents were letting their children out on Quad's on the ice in Donegal yesterday, saw it on the RTE news.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

leahyl wrote: »
    Clouds are clearing a little again now in Cork City - but this is just the view from my window so could be black clouds on the other side of the building!:)

Any snow up there overnight or today?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

jenzz wrote: »
    WTF:confused::confused:

I thought no more now till that sunday drama..... Is this for real or someone tryin to kid me ????
    I have been through a half tank of oil since beg dec .. starting to worry a lil:mad:

No no - showers forecast for the east coast from tonight onwards as north east and then east winds kick in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

temp back down to +0.2 in oranmore.
    0.0 now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

It wasnt me that posted the twitter link dude.

It wasn't me it was him Sir, I swear

Where is the western front ?
    Been waiting on it all day lol
    Anyone have an idea when it should start spilling snow, or is there a risk of sleet more than snow?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

If you think thats bad, parents were letting their children out on Quad's on the ice in Donegal yesterday, saw it on the RTE news.

IMHO, they should be charged with neglect!

Exactly so.
    The problem is that in scandanavia they know which lakes are safe and which might have thin patches. It only takes one thin patch to drown _ its easier just stay off the lakes, not a nice way to go!!!

If you're really desperate, 7up christmas on ice is still open in places:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

The lack of any ppn at this stage to our Northwest would tell me that this system has been over cooked by the models
    It looks like a nothing event

Yeah and with temps starting to fall, I'm of the opinion showers will peetre out. Might be just a NW event

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    IMHO, they should be charged with neglect!

Easy people, steady on...

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/thickness.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Where is the western front ?
    Been waiting on it all day lol
    Anyone have an idea when it should start spilling snow, or is there a risk of sleet more than snow?

Somewhere through France I thought !!! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

about 3.5c here in West Cork.....the sun is getting weaker now with some thin clouds covering the sky and around the sun.
    so no snow? aw! The roads were really bad this morning on my way to college....it took me 1hr and 20 mins to get to town whereas it would normally be only about 20-25 mins drive. Pure madness! But today - it was my first time in 2010 to visit the decent shops eg wilton!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Su Campu wrote: »
    Going by what I'm seeing happening at upper levels, I think eastern areas could be in for a repeat of yesterday's snowfall from midnight.

The setup is almost identical to what gave us yesterday's snowfall in the east. 700hPa winds shift to northeasterly tonight, and stay like that for at least 12 hrs. 500hPa temperatures will be about 6°C colder warmer, so convection may not be so strong, but with the prolonged northeasterlies, low 850 Theta W values, I think by this time tomorrow, eastern areas could be measuring the same snow depths again over what fell yesterday.

One to watch

I'm reposting that to correct a typo....I meant WARMER 500hPa temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The lack of any ppn at this stage to our Northwest would tell me that this system has been over cooked by the models
    It looks like a nothing event

Hard to know exactly how heavy the precip is to the NW since there is poor radar coverage of that area. Also, the GFS has the sysem intensifying as it reaches the SW later this evening.

That is the US.

A different place altogether and much more used to these things.

Much tougher safety rules too

They have more experienced ways of measuring etc and over the whole lake; who did the measuring here?

One thin place is all it takes.

What do you bet no one passed that ice as safe?

ORLY? wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

just back from checking on a few of the old people around my area, god bless them they are sitting with blankets around them afraid to turn the heating on because they cant afford the bills:eek: i lit their fires for them and blasted their heating up and told them not to worry about the bills;) cleared some of their footpaths of ice so that they could get out the front garden at least and chat to some passer by:)

on my way back i saw an old man slip on the icy footpath:( picked him up and walked him home the poor divil!!! him and his wife are in their 80's and were so low on food that he took a chance on gettin to the shops:( he had a little bag wit milk bread n cheese in it:eek: how long will that last!!!!

so i have my list ready now to do some shopping for the poor crators!!!

Why is nobody from the hse checking on these people?????

So just a reminder to you all, please check on your elderly neighbours, you can enjoy the snow/weather better knowing you have more than likely saved someones life!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

SA, WC, SU, MT....any chance of giving us your updated reading on events on the west coast. Has to be said it appears the regular experts do not appear interested in the weather on the other side of the river shannon.

Although that is because the weather probably isn't very interesting:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

im not sure what to make of this been busy at work for last while just looked out window and there a mass of grey/black cloud coming in over galway city no idea what that means..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement