Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

My heart just about stopped when I read parents are letting their children play on ice.
    Thats just too dangerous for me. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

just back from checking on a few of d old people around my area, god bless dem they r sitting with blankets around dem afraid 2 turn d heating on because dey cant afford d bills:eek: i lit d fires 4 dem n blasted der heating up n told dem not 2 worry bout d bills;) cleared some of der footpaths of ice so dat dey cud get out d front garden at least n chat 2 some passer by:)

on my way back i saw an old man slip on d icy footpath:( picked him up and walked him home d poor divil!!! him and his wife are in der 80's and were so low on food dat he took a chance on gettin 2 d shops:( he had a little bag wit milk bread n cheese in it:eek: how long will dat last!!!!

so i have my list ready now 2 do some shopping 4 d poor crators!!!

Why is nobody from d hse checking on these people?????

So just a reminder 2 u all, please check on ur elderly neighbours, u can enjoy d snow/weather better knowing u've more dan likely saved some1's life!!!!

Well done, everybody should take a lead form this.

BUT

The text talk is very hard to follow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS just rolling out, shows weaker precip and tracks it slightly further to the west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

I am pretty convinced that Galway will see no snow today or tonight. Sad but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

just back from checking on a few of d old people around my area, god bless dem they r sitting with blankets around dem afraid 2 turn d heating on because dey cant afford d bills:eek: i lit d fires 4 dem n blasted der heating up n told dem not 2 worry bout d bills;) cleared some of der footpaths of ice so dat dey cud get out d front garden at least n chat 2 some passer by:)

on my way back i saw an old man slip on d icy footpath:( picked him up and walked him home d poor divil!!! him and his wife are in der 80's and were so low on food dat he took a chance on gettin 2 d shops:( he had a little bag wit milk bread n cheese in it:eek: how long will dat last!!!!

So just a reminder 2 u all, please check on ur elderly neighbours, u can enjoy d snow/weather better knowing u've more dan likely saved some1's life!!!!

Well said !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Oh my God i just watched the latest Sky forecast and it is heavenly! I really hope it happens for Cork - and it's not just Sunday, it's Monday too according to them:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

is your keyboard broken or is it missing some keys miseagustusa?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

The text talk is very hard to follow!!!

sorry i will go back and edit it now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Fair play to you man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Yeah, well I do a lot of skating on thin ice or so I'm told, so come this saturday, if it's still cold then I will immediately be taking my two kids down to the lake we were looking at last weekend and where I let them skid along the very edge and I'll be running or sliding right out into the middle of it with the two of them in tow!!! So go ahead, report me for neglect :mad:

Having said that, the 'lake' is only about 6 inches deep and if the worst comes to the worst, it's a 2 minute drive back up to the gaff to get changed :)

As for Sligo Town, bit cloudier than earlier, no major temp change and if I were a rapper I'd spit that the anticipation of precipitation is causing palpitations in the general population, word..........

ice ice baby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

-2 at the moment

Okay i don't want to take away the limelight from the west today! BUT i have to talk about Sunday!

So far Met Eireann not giving much a few coastal showers along the E and SE.

Sky weather well there are giving '82 scenario and have stuck with it for two days now(its not like them) if it the same tomorrow this is huge:eek:

BBC have not said much. But on there website were i usually go to see whats ahead and i have to say it is pretty accurate, there giving snow to move in to N.I on Sunday they have it down as light snow but lasting well into next week.

Anybody got any other info on this whats the charts saying....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Francis Wilson has just said sunday looks pretty bad because of siberian winds bringing in an awful day for sunday,heavy precip of snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my God i just watched the latest Sky forecast and it is heavenly! I really hope it happens for Cork - and it's not just Sunday, it's Monday too according to them:)

I have to say, Sky forecasts are usually just plain wrong. We need to see ME firming up their forecast on it before I'm in on this bet.

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    -2 at the moment

Okay i don't want to take away the limelight from the west today! BUT i have to talk about Sunday!

Sky weather well there are giving '82 scenario and have stuck with it for two days now(its not like them) if it the same tomorrow this is huge:eek:

BBC have not said much. But on there website were i usually go to see whats ahead and i have to say it is pretty accurate, there giving snow to move in to N.I on Sunday they have it down as light snow but lasting well into next week.

I guess you'd love NGPS...

Rngp964.gif
    Rngp962.gif

hotwhiskey wrote: »
    -2 at the moment

Don't know much about charts but the 5 day forecast for Cork on bbc website is showing light snow on Sunday and heavy snow on Monday:eek: I know these are probably computer generated but what the heck! It makes me happy!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temp seems to be stabilizing now, hasn't dropped too much in the last hour or so. Don't think it'll make it past freezing..

Temperature: -1.6 °C
    Dew Point: -1.9 °C

Fog starting to form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is the US.

A different place altogether and much more used to these things.

Much tougher safety rules too

They have more experienced ways of measuring etc and over the whole lake; who did the measuring here?

One thin place is all it takes.

What do you bet no one passed that ice as safe?

Passed the ice as safe? Well I would bet nobody officialy did that. All I'm saying is that we should be careful when throwing around accusations of neglect. Maybe the parents had been out on the ice all day, maybe they checked out the thickness? Ice thickness can be variable no matter where in the world one is and even on very thick ice one can encounter thin pathces. There is an unavoidable risk when crossing ice but this is minimised by ensuring that the ice is thick. Risk is part of life - should kids be banned from swimming in lakes in the summer, from horse riding, from practicing martial arts...the list is endless. If it had been me I would not have risked a quad but as I say maybe the parents were aware it was thick enough. At any rate accusations of neglect are out of order in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Sundays snow should have a seperate thread, this day is for the WEST only ! :P
    On a bad note its been drizzling here in donegal the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

getting very dark and very fat fluffy grey/black clouds now, a long way back to horizon, we will know soon if we have a hit here:)

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

rahtro.jpg

Is that Europe-sized weather system gonna hit us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

I guess you'd love NGPS...

Rngp964.gif
    Rngp962.gif

Fantastic chart.

However, I caution you. On another forum they used to call NOGAPS the 'blonde' model. I wonder what they could mean by that ;)

Pangea wrote: »

OOps sorry forget which thread i'm in:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Very bloody cold here, and fog is starting to form.

When there is snow impacting the West, Galway is suddenly too much to the east.
    When temps are dodgy for the coast, Galway is suddenly coastal.

What can we say? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Don't attack me, but I hope the sun comes out for a few days and warms us all up. If not only for the old people, but for saps like me who came to work in the bad weather and am now unable to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

GavinH wrote: »
    +4c in Cork it's going to have to drop.

okay just arrived home and temp has dropped from 2.4 to 1.8c very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Zzippy wrote: »
    There were people walking and even cycling on Loughrea Lake yesterday!

Pure stupitidy, we'll be seeing on the news soon of deaths caused by drowning. Problem is as well, once you fall through you cant be rescued. Your body will cease up as well in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

ORLY? wrote: »
    At any rate accusations of neglect are out of order in my opinion.

It might be cold in Donegal but I doubt many people there have ice augers?

If the Gardai say its unsafe - that's enough reason not to do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement