Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

That low dark cloud to the North and West of me is just sitting there and seemingly building up... it is dropping something as I can see showers of something in the far distance... but it aint mvoing at all...the clouds are just sitting there... there is absolutely no wind... but at the moment the tide is fully out, when it starts coming In I expect it to bring some of that cloud with it.

I'm still hopeful for snow after dark in unison with the tide coming in more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Very bloody cold here, and fog is starting to form.

I read that as "very bloody cold here, i'm starting a fog forum" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Same here in galway just looming over the city now not moving like something out of ghostbusters!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

getting very dark and very fat fluffy grey/black clouds now, a long way back to horizon, we will know soon if we have a hit here:)

Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

snow ghost wrote: »
    That low dark cloud to the North and West of me is just sitting there and seemingly building up... it is dropping something as I can see showers of something in the far distance... but it aint mvoing at all...the clouds are just sitting there... there is absolutely no wind... but at the moment the tide is fully out, when it starts coming In I expect it to bring some of that cloud with it.

I'm still hopeful for snow after dark in unison with the tide coming in more. :)
    if we don't have hope, sure what else is there?:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Same here in galway just looming over the city now not moving like something out of ghostbusters!
    there is a giant michelin man in eyre square?

I think we can safely say this west event has turned out to be a s"no"w event!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

May I add this also please? To this wonderful testimony?

If you call on old ones, take something with you?

Some will be leary of asking anyone to shop for them in bad weather. I know I am.

And add a "treat"?

The one day I got out that was what I was missing as much as bread and milk etc. Cake.. chocolate..

Diet can get very pleached at these times.

One year a while ago, I was offered a hamper from a charity. when it arrived it was eg toilet paper and cornflakes in a black bin bag.

And they had others to take out.

We do baskets etc for housebound; and we make them as attractive as we can. It raises spirits so much to see care taken like that. See old faces light up.

And anyone trying to turn the heating up like that would see it turned down after they had left; it was my insistence to the landlord here re the storage heaters that saw him finally bringing the Super Ser.

he said that the weather would not last; boards ie told me it would..Two weeks on..

Few of us will run up bills we cannot pay. It terrifies.

With coal and bottled gas we can pay as we go along and keep some control thus. Just can be hard to fetch for us.

Not sure what the ESB code of practice is here but in the UK? They used to cut folk off.

ote=DOCARCH;63851414]Well done, everybody should take a lead form this.

BUT

The text talk is very hard to follow!!![/quote]

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    SA, WC, SU, MT....any chance of giving us your updated reading on events on the west coast. Has to be said it appears the regular experts do not appear interested in the weather on the other side of the river shannon.

Although that is because the weather probably isn't very interesting:rolleyes:
    Its marginal on the coasts and a mainly high ground and well inland event I think.
    I can see snow falling alright but touch and go.
    As I said earlier..inland north and west cork and high ground in kerry and I'd imagine well inland and high where you are.
    This is because of the maratime mix.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Is the general concensus snow for the East on Sunday/Monday?

I know that's a long way away in some respects, but is that the consensus....now!

Does any model predict a LOT of snow... or more of the same?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

snaps wrote: »
    Pure stupitidy, we'll be seeing on the news soon of deaths caused by drowning. Problem is as well, once you fall through you cant be rescued. Your body will cease up as well in minutes.

Your spot on there snaps :)

Walking on a frozen waterway in Ireland is totally irresponsible to say the least... even if the ice is thick in some parts people could hit a thinner patch and they're a gonner.

Don't do it people, especially if you're an adult, as chicldren may see you and be encouraged to copy your utter stupidity. :mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    there is a giant michelin man in eyre square?

Stay-Puffed Mashmellow Man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

redsunset wrote: »
    Francis Wilson has just said sunday looks pretty bad because of siberian winds bringing in an awful day for sunday,heavy precip of snow

I've not much time in general for Sky's forecasts - but Francis is an excellent forecaster. He is their Eagle :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Temp in Cork has fallen by over 3 degrees in the past 2 hours. From 4.1 to 0.9.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

haha! , on a serious note im very low on ale supplies, was rooting in cupboard last night, 2% beer my mother brought for christmas is all i have left:eek:, Id need to inhale the fumes to get a kick, on a general note its very dark fluffy type of cloud, hard to know whats going on inside them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

FYI Last departure for all Dublin Buses is at 20:00 tonight.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

snaps wrote: »
    Pure stupitidy, we'll be seeing on the news soon of deaths caused by drowning. Problem is as well, once you fall through you cant be rescued. Your body will cease up as well in minutes.

I'd rather drown in a frozen lake than during the Summer. In the Summer, rescuers have about 5 minutes to find and resusitate you or its all over. In a frozen lake they might be able to revive you after an hour with a decent chance of no brain damage. The ICy water protects the oxygen deprived brain.

That said I would never trust an Irish lake to Freeze like a Finnish or Minasota US one, nor would I trust some Irish gobshee to measure the thickness correctly. Wouldn't risk it myself. Even in Livignio last year with the frozen Alpine lake, all the Skidoo activities were held on a track around the lake, not across it and they would be experts at measuring it and it would have been frozen for months before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

The temperature here is dropping very quickly...now little under 2c??...more clouds forming here and getting more grey/dull clouds...still the sun is peeping out. brrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Just to give a general summary of what ME have forecast for the Regional Airports up to midnight tonight

Donegal, Sligo, Galway and Kerry
    Light, with a slight chance of moderate, snow showers from about 4pm in the north and west, and from about 6pm in the southwest

Waterford
    Yep, you guessed it - no snow forecasted!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

ESB will not cut you off, Board Gais might not either but Airtricity (scotish and sothern) may do so gladly but at the moment they are dependant on the ESB to do it so its unlikly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Speak Now

redsunset wrote: »
    Francis Wilson has just said sunday looks pretty bad because of siberian winds bringing in an awful day for sunday,heavy precip of snow

Francis is the original Ramper :D

Old school BBC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Figuramatyi

GFS also looks promising for Kerry and Cork:
    Rtavn844.png

Has increased ppt by a great deal from the 06Z run.

It actually gives steady snow for almost 20 hrs straight on Monday for Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Leeside wrote: »
    Temp in Cork has fallen by over 3 degrees in the past 2 hours. From 4.1 to 0.9.

Yes dropped to 0.9 now at home. Out between Ballincollig & Macroom

All cloud we had here is going, temps now dropping. 1.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I read that as "very bloody cold here, i'm starting a fog forum" :pac:

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's gone very dull out. More snow forecast for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Foggy as feck in D3 now !!!

Anyone have any idea has the temp fallen ? It feels sooo much colder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

WindSock wrote: »
    It's gone very dull out. More snow forecast for Dublin?

Noticed that too. Heavy enough freezing fog developing in CC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

leaving work now.

gonna go to the lidl next door pick up 4 cans of heineken.

Then i'm off home to pack a bag, then sit in drink my cans.

Off to Liverpool in the morning for the Liverpool v Tottenham game on Sunday ....

Have no idea if it's gonna go ahead but sure....

Flying home Sunday evening (if i can).

Off to catch a Dublin Bus now.

I'll be back on when I get home.

Slán

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement