Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell & Snowfall Discussion Part 2 (Eagle says Polar Low) Wednesday/Thursday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

precip now appearing in NW

attachment.php?attachmentid=101381&stc=1&d=1262884318

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

tabloid media! its a bit early to be concerned is it not?

Well there must be very strong indications for it
    They've been preaching it since yesterday.
    He showed how the band of precip extended right the way from ireland,across europe and into russia from a hugh low pressure system loaded with moisture sitting around germany.

Im still not convinced myself that it will be that bad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

to me this west event is finished. Turned out a big no no

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Shane732 wrote: »
    :eek:

Sky News are just reporting that the grit levels are running low in the UK. Interesting that Ireland gets it's grit from the UK....

I wonder what's going to happen next. Any guesses?

Grit can come from any decent quarry, its salt is the problem.

I know i'm repeating myself, but salt, sand and grit are different things!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Sky News are just reporting that the grit levels are running low in the UK. Interesting that Ireland gets it's grit from the UK....

Let me guess. Like in Famine times we'll forego our own needs and whatever grit we can produce here will be exported to UK.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭wushu

What ever happens looks like the cold weather is here for sometime yet!! Sunday could be interesting along the east!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

could i expect -15c tonight is -4c here already and dropping like a rocket loads of dry snow and no wind? temps forecasting to get below -20c i wonder if -25c could be possible!

saying that.....whats happening here in the past hour?

101382.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

they send the low grade grit over to Ireland (like the stuff they throw away, and not on the roads)

they are not allowed to use it in Britain as it is not course enough.

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    could i expect -15c tonight is -4c here already and dropping like a rocket loads of dry snow and no wind? temps forecasting to get below -20c i wonder if -25c could be possible!

Depends if you eat cheese before you go to bed! Cheese though can sometimes give you bad dreams, not sweet dreams!

Temperatures dropping here in Kilkenny now, reached a peak of -1.5 earlier, dropping already, we're in for a cold night!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

The UKMO has issued early warnings for the UK for heavy snow Sunday and Monday.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭Speak Now

You're too far north, move down south to Carlow and you might.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

snaps wrote: »
    saying that.....whats happening here in the past hour?

101382.JPG

That's spinning the wrong way. Low pressure systems spin anti-clockwise ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Light bit of drizzle here in the last half hour as that cloud moves in over Kerry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

You're too far north, move down south to Carlow and you might.

what! far north isnt it ment to be far north! manchester already -10c they are bound to reach at least -20c i wonder if they will reach -15c by 8pm! if they do -25c could be possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

sorry but i didnt go on this lake someone else did its that frozen so whatever you can even go up there to see how deep the snow is...... you people down south have no idea how cold it is up here you know metos statios are always a couple of c colder here at night and around 5c colder up on the mountain tthey are always warm on the cold nights.....

Get a grip..the highest mountain snowfall is practically always in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains because of their height, lugnaquilla over 3.000 feet, their eastern, therefore generally colder geographic position. They have had metres up there for the past couple of weeks and the same thing last year. Even the Polish snowplough operators I met last year said THEY had not seen such drifts in years...and they had to clear them. The Miltary raod was closed for nearly two weeks ---you could not see the road...just the beginning of the 23 kilometer stretch to Laragh...and the top of the 10 foot raod sign. Pictures being posted this evening.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

what! far north isnt it ment to be far north! manchester already -10c they are bound to reach at least -20c i wonder if they will reach -15c by 8pm! if they do -25c could be possible!

Can't you type PROPER sentences, mate??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

snow ghost wrote: »
    To be fair, Met Eireann did say today or 'early tonight' the precipitation would fall.

So I haven't given up hope of the snow, yet. ;)

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/161-01.html

going to just filter down the atlantic seaboard now per met eireann. nothing inland at all - another opportunity missed so we look to sunday.

• Advertisement

well it would of got me to as I taught it was going anti clockwise

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Starting to feel sorry now for Owenc - he gets a hard time on here! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

I think you have a bit of Brit-itis in you....exaggeration to the point of being totally risible....:D....what pipe or you smokin... you might get those temperatures on the top of Ben Nevis or Lugnaquilla.....with or without the pipe...:D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0107/weathertransportupdates.html

17:20 Cork City Council has put up warning signs at The Lough. The lake is extremely dangerous with varying degrees of thickness and the ice could break

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can't you type PROPER sentences, mate??

hopefully there'll be a thaw up north and the schools will open again paying particular attention to sentence structure.

Irish weather network site is down, overuse maybe???:D

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Starting to feel sorry now for Owenc - he gets a hard time on here! :D

yeh give the guy a break opps

Manchester has land mass around it. Far North? Being far north has nothing to do with it? We are much futher north than parts of Canada, and we are much warmer than them. You have the North Irish sea above you where the air mass is coming from. The futher away you get from the air moving over the sea the colder it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    It is still very likely that snow will fall across the west this evening. It may not be significant everywhere but most should see snow in Mayo, Galway, Clare and Kerry.

All you have to do is look at the radars

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

if i'm not mistaken he is right beside the sea, so it's more likely he'd see sleet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

hopefully there'll be a thaw up north and the schools will open again paying particular attention to sentence structure.

LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement