Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper on Ice.

Options
  • 06-01-2010 8:29pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, whats it like driving a camper on icy roads. Might have to drive mine out before the weekend. Do I need extra life insurance:D:D. Or is it any worse than a car.

I know no fear, I have driven motorbikes in icy conditions before:eek::eek::eek:

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Never driven my van on the ice yet... One thing I do know though is that I'd be happier sliding helplessly on the ice towards a solid object in my car or work van than my camper:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I wouldn't do it. Once something as heavy as a camper starts to go, it's very, very difficult to get back under control.

I've never driven a camper in snow, only a small truck, but I wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Looks like driving campers have made you lot a bunch of softies:D:D:D

I,ll give it a bit more thought then. cant be any worse than driving a 40 foot artic:eek:

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i need to get mine about 50miles down the road to get the heater repaired put I'm going to wait for it to heat up a bit before i do ,been drivin the work truck a bit over the cold snap and so long as ya take your time and plan well ahead for turns and stops its not to bad,still wouldnt fancy the van getting away from me on a frosty road could be expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I've driven mine loads in frosty weather, often on rescue missions, great for jump starting, camper came with snowchains (never used). I usualy add a few concrete blocks over the back wheels. If you try it, check if your camper is front or rear wheel drive, it may handle diferent to your car.

• Advertisement

Its a Fiat talento 460, short wheelbase 1.9 diesel 1993. RWD as far as I know, but I,m open to correction on that. I,ve only used it on a few camping trips. But its short wheelbase is ideal as an everday run about. I enjoy driving it, and more often than not, I,ll take it before the car:)

kadman

The Talento (like all Fiat vans) is FWD

peasant wrote: »
    The Talento (like all Fiat vans) is FWD

Thanks for the correction:D

kadman

I don't mean to be offensive here, but from what I've seen in the last few days, drivers that don't know if their vehicles are front or rear wheel drive should consider staying at home until it warms up again.

2 stroke wrote: »
    I don't mean to be offensive here, but from what I've seen in the last few days, drivers that don't know if their vehicles are front or rear wheel drive should consider staying at home until it warms up again.

No offense taken.

I,ve only used the camper a couple of times, since I had it. Its going extremely well. so I,ve never had a reason to lift the bonnet believe it or not.

Unfortunately staying at home is not an option, unless of course you can get the colleges to postpone exam assessments on Monday. thats why I,ve asked experienced long term campers here their views on driving one on the ice. I have n,t had mine long enough to have driven in these conditions.

Experience...........Ive a full license for motorcycle, car, and all classes of lorries and trailers up to 7.5 ton. I,ve had an accident free driving record of 38 years, I,ve never had a claim, or one against me. And I have free lifetime NCB protection due to my driving record.

kadman

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    I,ve had an accident free driving record of 38 years

In that case you really should have enough experience to judge for yourself :D

peasant wrote: »
    In that case you really should have enough experience to judge for yourself :D

No harm in picking your brains either:D:D

kadman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

No offense taken.

I,ve only used the camper a couple of times, since I had it. Its going extremely well. so I,ve never had a reason to lift the bonnet believe it or not.

Why since when did they put a sticker under the bonnett telling you if the vehicle is a FWD or RWD...how could someone have 38yrs driveing ex and not know what they were driveing was FWD or RWD,,,,,,,,,icon13.gif

thetyreman wrote: »
    No offense taken.

Why since when did they put a sticker under the bonnett telling you if the vehicle is a FWD or RWD...how could someone have 38yrs driveing ex and not know what they were driveing was FWD or RWD,,,,,,,,,icon13.gif

Can you tell me by looking at any vehicle from the outside, without looking under the vehicle, whether it was a rwd or fwd. With out prior knowledge of the fact before hand. The answer is you cant. You would either have to know from previous experience of the marque, or look under the bonnet, or under the vehicle. I have never owned a talento before this, and never looked under it to investigate it either. There fore when I posted the details, I said I was open to correction on it. Simple really.

Thats the same as asking you which of the velocette marques were air cooled twins, single cylinders, or propshaft driven. You wouldn,t know that unless you either owned one and knew the spec on it, or looked at one. Simple. Whee as I do know from experience.

Sorry I cant make it any simpler for you...:P

kadman

Personally, I would not drive a vehicle without checking if it was fwd or rwd. Also, if it was a vehicle I didn't drive very often, I certainly would raise the bonnet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

YOU HAVE DRIVEN IT HAVNT YOU :mad:

I cant see how someone could drive a vehicle and not know/realise/feel weather its fwd or rwd,haven driven it a few times........

Lads ...so far this was a forum that had none of your petty, pointless internet arguments.

I shall see to it that this remains so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement