Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fun in the snow, what are your views on it?

• 06-01-2010 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples views are on having a bit of fun in the snow?

I'm sure many, if not most, RWD car drivers have had a bit of fun in the snow going sideways?

I'll prob get flammed for it but I've had a little fun. Late at night up in an industrial estate with no one around and good visibility. I much rather find a very big open place and mess a little but I know of none nearby.

Kind of see it as learning car control as well, I never had the back step out on me. With all the snow I'm learing how to control it and where the limits are, even if it's a little bit of a false environment with the snow making it so easy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Can't say I haven't pushed the back out when I've had the opportunity, but there are some real gob****es out there who can't drive. It just becomes more obvious in these conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

IMO it's both fun and educational as long as you can find a safe place. Be particularly careful of kerbs hidden in the snow, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

Anan1 wrote: »
    IMO it's both fun and educational as long as you can find a safe place. Be particularly careful of kerbs hidden in the snow, though.

And speedbumps. Also be aware that a locked wheel won't be happy about hitting any kind of road imperfection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Shires

jozi wrote: »
    I'm sure many, if not most, RWD car drivers have had a bit of fun in the snow going sideways?

Actually, I found mine a bit boring and dangerous due to the weight. On the other hand, the small, very light FWD car I had access to was very good craic. It has rear drums and a perfectly adjusted handbrake, done only 4 weeks ago. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ive learned alot of how my car handles when sliding etc by messing in the snow. its good practice imo but make sure theres nobody or nothing around that you can cause damage to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I can tell you whos not having Fun

Was going to my local on Saturday night and in the the Adli carpark there was an EVO going around and around on the Ice .

Called into Aldi today on the way home and a lamp post was bent .

"It couldn't have" I was thinking to myself so I drove by the owners house to see the side of the car smashed up .

I had to lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

i think its kind of obligatory to have a little bit of craic (safely!) but i'm a girl so i have fear on my side!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Was going to my local on Saturday night and in the the Adli carpark there was an EVO going around and around on the Ice .

"It couldn't have" I was thinking to myself so I drove by the owners house to see the side of the car smashed up .

Rofl that's brilliant... in an unfortunate way. :)

I've been messing about once or twice although I found it nearly impossible to do a donut in an empty carpark the other night coz the front wheels weren't able to get any grip so the rear ones just very slowly edged the car any which direction. Felt like I was on an ice rink with a pair of rollerskates on.

I'm loving the snow at the moment though. Everyday seems to be like an adventure in the car. I had loads of fun trying to get out of an estate the other day when I was at the bottom of a hill... which may sound sad. :)

Hopefully it'll wake up all the drivers who drive on 'auto-pilot' and make them less complacent for when the snow thaws out. Although expecting such a thing from the average Irish man/woman is probably asking too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i've had some unbelievably good, but unbelievably unintentional fun in the snow.

even engine braking is making the car very skittish. my sisters ford ka was handling the snow pretty ok, and my 318is was struggling just to get out of the driveway. took me a solid twenty minutes just to get to my gate. then promptly got stuck crossing the main road, blocking traffic in both directions.

absolutely great fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Anyone who doesn't play around in the snow or ice (in a safe location) is devoid of human emotions.

Anyone who does so in traffic or with hazards about is just braindead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭JaneyP

The kids are having a ball!!!! Its great!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Was in Lidl earlier (still looking for salt for the driveway..) and some tool was doing handbrake turns and so on in the carpark in an old Golf diesel. I got out of there as quick as I could as I was afraid he'd slide into my car as he didn't seem to realise how little control he had.

All for a bit of fun, but not in a carpark that has people or cars in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Outside my shop in a retail park, theres people sliding and skidding for fun all day long. A lot of people cut through the park for a shortcut and they all go diagonally across the car park instead of around it, locking the wheel, hand braking, etc as they go.
    Theres cars of all shapes and sizes, even vans spinning on the spot all day long. You don't often get the chance to do it, I guess everyone is just seizing the opportunity. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I have really good Bridgestone tyres at the front and cheapo Nankang tyres at the back (came free with my alloys).

The crapness of the Nankangs suddenly became apparent today when trying to get over the small bridge after the level crossing at Finglas.

It took me all of five mintues (a long time if there's a queue of traffic behind you) to clear the bridge, even with traction control on.

It was a complete brown-pants moment and a salutory lesson in investing in proper tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Was heading up to Dundrum last week...previous ice but just wet now..guy in front ,Impreza wrx "driving miss daisy"...i swear i wanted to push the fke along...:mad:...04 D...blue gold wheels, glasses,ugly...if youre reading this..GET A WOMAN TO DRIVE YA...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Big empty car park, it's great fun.
    On streets it's just too dangerous, even it's empty you can still kerb the car and loose a tyre.

I have really good Bridgestone tyres at the front and cheapo Nankang tyres at the back (came free with my alloys).

The crapness of the Nankangs suddenly became apparent today when trying to get over the small bridge after the level crossing at Finglas.

It took me all of five mintues (a long time if there's a queue of traffic behind you) to clear the bridge, even with traction control on.

It was a complete brown-pants moment and a salutory lesson in investing in proper tyres.

what has the Nankangs got to do with it? would it not be the ice causing the delay in getting over Cambells Bridge?

i could nearly guarantee that if you had Bridgestone's on all 4 wheels you would of still being sliding everywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Few people gettin a bit iffy over cheap asian tyres..whats that all about..are you dealers.?..i have nangkang tyres fitted..theyre crap but cheap..i knew they were crap before i bought them,but they last forever...:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

kceire wrote: »
    i could nearly guarantee that if you had Bridgestone's on all 4 wheels you would of still being sliding everywhere!
    Considering I was driving an 03 BMW Diesel 2 Litre TDI and was overtaken by a 96 1.3L Renault petrol, I think not.

When I got home I examined the thread patterns of the Bridestones vs the Nankangs. The Bridgestones had completely lateral ridges and the Nankangs were at a 45 degree angle to the surface, Common sense would tell you that those tyres had far less bite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

for the last 3 days car park is empty where i work, so before work and after i just mess aroundfor 10 mins. great crack RWD+LSD mmmmmmmmmmmm.....

cant see anything wrong in messing in snow, atleast you will have experience when you will get in trouble on ice....

• Advertisement

Was heading up to Dundrum last week...previous ice but just wet now..guy in front ,Impreza wrx "driving miss daisy"...i swear i wanted to push the fke along...:mad:...04 D...blue gold wheels, glasses,ugly...if youre reading this..GET A WOMAN TO DRIVE YA...

aaaaa you whana hug? Some one needs to have some fun....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Is it RWD? you probably would have made better progress with TC off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I think it is essential to do, in a responsible manner.

Once we get some decent snowfall over here I go play in the nearest empty carpark. I'll rehearse moving weight around with the controls and getting it to work for me. Just generally getting a feel for the conditions again. For fun bring it up to 30 or so and practice some scandinavian flicks, handy for getting into the garage, just dont fook up! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Considering I was driving an 03 BMW Diesel 2 Litre TDI and was overtaken by a 96 1.3L Renault petrol, I think not.

Badges or engine size won't help you on the ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭v300

Onkle wrote: »
    Badges or engine size won't help you on the ice.

Ha ha ha !

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I brought out a tricycle earlier and attached my husky to the front of it. Fecking dog freaked at the snow and ran into the house. Dogs a bloody wuss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Im guilty, spent a hour last night messing about. Getting the mini sideways around corners.

It also is quite fun with handbrake turns:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I "accidently" power slid my way in and out of some Tescos and Aldis. Nothing beats RWD and fun.

DSC off all day long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

antodeco wrote: »
    I brought out a tricycle earlier and attached my husky to the front of it. Fecking dog freaked at the snow and ran into the house. Dogs a bloody wuss!
    Pics please.:D

• Advertisement

I "accidently" power slid my way in and out of some Tescos and Aldis. Nothing beats RWD and fun.

DSC off all day long.

Very easy to lose it though:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Brilliant!
    Call the Gardai and get them to pay a visit to the EVO owner. That way he/she will have to pay for the damage to the lamp post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

There's an idiot doing J turns and handbrake turns over in Clarehall Tesco, he's driving a Mazda 3, don't think it's an MPS because it doesn't seem to be putting down 260bhp. I'm waitig for him to crash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

There's an idiot doing J turns and handbrake turns over in Clarehall Tesco, he's driving a Mazda 3, don't think it's an MPS because it doesn't seem to be putting down 260bhp. I'm waitig for him to crash

*sigh*

Trolling from a mod.........

Go out and have some fun in your GTI...... ( wait, its not still sitting in your driveway undriveable with 0 bhp is it??)

J-turns and handbrake turns???, any idiot can do that, even in the dry.

Now sliding is more fun:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

What I never understood is some people's inbility to connect a J-Turn with a handbrake turn or vice versa, rinse and repeat if you can get enough speed up.. I mean, doesnt "drive, whip, 180, stop, drive, whip, 180, stop" get boring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Tis' good craic sometimes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

kona wrote: »
    J-turns and handbrake turns???, any idiot can do that, even in the dry.

Now sliding is more fun:D

I agree there. Any idiot can do a handbrake turn. Most of them that I have seen the driver has had no idea of what the angle of the turn is going to be before he starts. They just yanked the handbrake and held on.

The trick is to use the handbrake to start the slide, and control the angle and length of the slide with power, steering wheel etc. Now, ask them to turn the car through 90 degrees, no more, no less while moving at 20mph or above with the handbrake and watch them struggle.

I'd be out in a shot if I had a car that I didn't mind bending, but my current road car's too good, and the other heaps are not road legal at the moment (Damn NCT!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

peasant wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't play around in the snow or ice (in a safe location) is devoid of human emotions.

Anyone who does so in traffic or with hazards about is just braindead.
    Basketball courts are particularly fun places in ice, and safe from pedestrians. (no one plays basketball on the ice on a dark Saturday evening/night you'll find!)

Im guilty, spent a hour last night messing about. Getting the mini sideways around corners.

It also is quite fun with handbrake turns:D

I'm not taking mine out in it! Front tyres aren't the most grippyv:(

Heroditas wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    Call the Gardai and get them to pay a visit to the EVO owner. That way he/she will have to pay for the damage to the lamp post.

omg... just leave... did you ever had fun in your life, fun with your car? I guess your car is not getting any at all, if i would be your car i would shoot myself...

Evo will have it fixed, and back same spot for more, i can bet, good lad!

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    I'm not taking mine out in it! Front tyres aren't the most grippyv:(

What tyres are they? mine are yoko A539s, not great in the snow and ice, but great when you want to lose traction:D

Just take It easy, mine spins its wheels if you hit the throttle, so everything has to be super smooth.

Although Revving it helps it to 180 tighter, so it must get some grip.

Its too much fun, going the do some more tonight:D

omg... just leave... did you ever had fun in your life, fun with your car? I guess your car is not getting any at all, if i would be your car i would shoot myself...

Evo will have it fixed, and back same spot for more, i can bet, good lad!

You are better not arguing. Some people are just like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

seen some of the locals having fun in my local lidl on new years day and my fathers seen them in a couple of times since but after closing time. fair big open carpark with no lamp posts. tbh i see no harm in it since there staying off the roads and sticking to empty carparks

What tyres are they? mine are yoko A539s, not great in the snow and ice, but great when you want to lose traction:D

Just take It easy, mine spins its wheels if you hit the throttle, so everything has to be super smooth.

Although Revving it helps it to 180 tighter, so it must get some grip.

Its too much fun, going the do some more tonight:D

I just need new tyres! My camber was out on the fronts so theres a bald wearing on the inside. Been meaning to change them, but Im also looking for a decent set of 10s for it (still on the 13s)

You are better not arguing. Some people are just like that.

honestly.. i dont know why such people are in in such forums.... :rolleyes:

but you right... no point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Never got any email notification of the replies, and there's quite a few.

Surprised at 99% of the posts agreeing on it being ok :D

I'd love to know of a nice big open area that I could practice on. My road is pretty wide but I can't keep going in circles around the neighbourhood. I don't think I'd even mess around up in Clearwater tesco, security couldn't be to happy about it?

Anyone know a spot they can PM me if they like :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

When I got home I examined the thread patterns of the Bridestones vs the Nankangs. The Bridgestones had completely lateral ridges and the Nankangs were at a 45 degree angle to the surface, Common sense would tell you that those tyres had far less bite.

If you turn your traction control off you will make better progress in getting over that bridge in future. Traction control will stop your wheels spinning but will not give extra traction in snow. TC will send less power to the wheel that spins so just as you are about to get grip the Ecu could cut power to that wheel leaving you in situ

well to cut a long story short, i drove over the same bridge during the same weather problems in my GF's 2.0 TDi BMW too :D

your tyres were not the problem, its the driving style tbh.

i drove over the same bridge today in my MG again with no problems, using the right technique and youu'll be grand.

common sense doesnt come into it at this stage man, if you hate the nangkangs so much, you should change them!

why do people always look for something to blame when they cant do something........?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

kceire wrote: »
    well to cut a long story short, i drove over the same bridge during the same weather problems in my GF's 2.0 TDi BMW too :D

your tyres were not the problem, its the driving style tbh.

i drove over the same bridge today in my MG again with no problems, using the right technique and youu'll be grand.

common sense doesnt come into it at this stage man, if you hate the nangkangs so much, you should change them!

why do people always look for something to blame when they cant do something........?
    I drove over it twice today in my Teg, it really wasn't nice going towards Finglas this mornng, Fresh Ice but I made it over no hassle, on the way home, I got up the hill handy enough, taking the bend and planned on heading sown with the bit of momentum I'd built up (about 7mph!) then TRAIN!!! Had to (kinda) jam on so I didn't hit the car in front, bloody gave me a fright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

jozi wrote: »
    Surprised at 99% of the posts agreeing on it being ok :D
    Nah, it seems most people take the sensible approach and realise you have to learn somewhere. If that's a deserted country road, or empty car park great. It's better to learn there than make all sorts of unintentionals driving to work @7.30, surrounded by others and pedestrians.

• Advertisement
Advertisement