Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

outside ebay Online Fraud Scam!

Options
  • 06-01-2010 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I was buying a mac pro from a guy on ebay,he was based in canada had 100% feedback and seemed ok.the mac was up for bidding and i email him and asked could i have a buy now price.he told me he had another mac that was the same and i could have that for $2500 and he sent me a bill with paypal.i paid the bill and he then told me it was been sent via his dealer in china via china post!i knew something was wrong and then it arrived over a month later and it was a small parcel with a pair of fake running shoes in it.rang paypal and they told me because it was outside ebay they cant do anything!will my credit card cover me for this kind of fraud?or what can i do about it?please any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, you've learned the hard way: never purchase anything outside of the eBay system, no matter how good the persons feedback is. In this case, their account may have been hijacked by a third party, who is now a lot richer at your expense.

You should speak to your credit card issuer and see if they will be willing to pursue a chargeback. However, they may not as technically the payment was made to PayPal, who in this case haven't actually done anything wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Sorry OP but you got conned. I doubt you will get a charge back as it went through Paypal but it's worth trying.
    NEVER buy outside of eBay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dabouche

Hi,

Techically its not fraud because you gave this fella your credit card details through paypal. However most credit card companies can charge back the funds under the rule ' goods paid for but not received'. This is basically where they just take the funds back. The best thing to do is send a letter to your Visa company explaining the situation in as much detail. If you still have correspondance from this fella telling you what you had agreed to purchase (i.e. agreement that he would send you a MAC) you should send copies of that in as well.

Best of luck trying to get the money back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 keni2k10

Thanks for your reply.So if i have emails to prove that he was ment to send a mac pro at a value of $2500,and a small parcel with fake runners and a value of $90 wrote on the box was sent to my house is that not enough to force a charge back.surely its not this simple to take somebodys money and walk away with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

you need to be very careful with your next move. If you had received the Mac, you´d be liable for import taxes as goods are coming from outside the EU.

The fact that you´ve admitted to receiving a package marked $90 might infer that you asked for a lower price to be marked on the goods in order to incure lower tax charges. Be careful, you never know who is watching this site!

• Advertisement

yes the custom charges would have been for the mac,if it even came i might have paid it!so to be honest man i dont care about that right now!im 20 years old and just lost all my savings i just need to find a way of getting it back!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dabouche

You need to be able to prove that when you gave your credit card details for 2500 you were under the impression that you were going to be receiving a mac so any email or T&C's relating to the purchase will help. As I said earlier the more info you give the bank the better position they are in to help you!
    It's unreal the amount that these scammers try to and do get away with, suppose its true that crime pays (as long as you dont get caught obviously!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The only way to know is to contact the bank or card provider, and see if they'll even entertain a charge back. Then send them the details. Contact them by phone first, and then either email or post all the details if they ask for them.

To be honest, I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Paypal will fight the charge back, and in this case they are not at fault. It would be hard for the bank to find against them when they did everything right. You asked Paypal to transfer the money from you to this other person, which they did.

It's now a civil matter between you and him. Being in a different country means you're not going to get far.

i have sent my credit card company all emails showing we had a deal for the mac,and a copy of the postal receipt saying walking shoes valued at $90,also a photo of the parcel from china post and the shoes and my letter saying what has happened.so fingers crossed i get it back.or else i might go to canada for a few days.....

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Good luck with this but be prepared for disappointment.
    Since it was paypal who recieved the money from your credit card, paypal will be to company issued with the chargeback.
    They are going to dispute it since they provided the service exactly as was requested, namely transfer your money to the person you nominated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

That is really hard luck, really sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Have you contacted the person who you initially contacted about the buy for now price? (who referred you to his 'dealer' in China).
    Are they still active on Ebay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

pog it wrote: »
    That is really hard luck, really sorry to hear this is happening to you.

Have you contacted the person who you initially contacted about the buy for now price? (who referred you to his 'dealer' in China).
    Are they still active on Ebay?

not really

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

not really

Helpful replies only please.

OP, it might be worth your while contacting the help section on ebay, although there's not a lot they can do for you since your transaction was conducted off ebay, I'm sure they've encountered this situation before and may be able to give you some advice on where to go from here.

my credit card company told me to email him back asking for a return address for the shoes,and if i dont get a reply in 30days he said i will have my money back!so its looking good

Advertisement