Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafferys cans in tesco 18x440ml €20

Options
  • 06-01-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

Have not seen cafferys on sale in years here, maybe I just am not looking for it. Tesco have 18x440ml cans for €20 and it was some special can that goes a different colour when cold or something. Dunno if these have widgets. Bit too bland for my liking but might be of interest to some.

Seems a lot of places are sourcing these UK 440ml cans, I like that size.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Probably the first wave of Coors's new Irish operation. I'm still happily kidding myself that we'll get some White Shield out of it.
    rubadub wrote: »
    Have not seen cafferys on sale in years here, maybe I just am not looking for it.
    It's been gone completely.
    some special can that goes a different colour when cold or something.
    Standard Coors packaging. You get it on Coors Light too.
    Dunno if these have widgets.
    They would. Caffrey's has always been a nitro beer. Purely carbonated Caffrey's is something for which the world is not yet ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Is it in anyways pleasant or is it just another Smithwicks clone? Can't say the novelty can inspires me to think it is a lost Clotworthy Dobbin or anything of the sort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Thomas Caffrey was apprentice to Clotworthy Dobbin, but that's the only connection. It's not even as good as Smithwick's, 'cos of the nitro. Think Kilkenny. Horrible stuff.

I remember getting bladdered on it and throwing up when it was first launched in the mid-'90s, and was incredibly amused to find Pete Brown recounts an identical experience in his book Man Walks Into a Pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

BeerNut wrote: »
    Thomas Caffrey was apprentice to Clotworthy Dobbin, but that's the only connection. It's not even as good as Smithwick's, 'cos of the nitro. Think Kilkenny. Horrible stuff.

I remember getting bladdered on it and throwing up when it was first launched in the mid-'90s, and was incredibly amused to find Pete Brown recounts an identical experience in his book Man Walks Into a Pub.

I loved Caffreys when it was on the go. Savage stuff, a few pints of it and you'd be leaping about the place. Loved it.
    I had it in Belfast recently on draft. It's a creamier beer than others, can't compare it to Smithwicks. Would definitely get it again in canned form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Seems a lot of places are sourcing these UK 440ml cans, I like that size.

Not exactly on topic but those cans annoy me, were they dreamt up for some particular reason? Why do you like them? (not criticising, just curious).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

superdog wrote: »
    I loved Caffreys when it was on the go. Savage stuff, a few pints of it and you'd be leaping about the place. Loved it.
    I had it in Belfast recently on draft. It's a creamier beer than others, can't compare it to Smithwicks. Would definitely get it again in canned form.

Just seen this yesterday in Tesco. The cans taste like Kilkenny alright, good for nitro lovers like myself(sorry Beernut :P)

This offer would strangle Diageo's sales of Kilkenny which retail at 2.09 a can. This works out at 1.84 per 440ml. Caffreys the obvious choice for a buyer in the recession.

Regarding that wait till it went blue on the can thing, I put the cans in the fridge for 3 hours, they were freezing cold to touch but the front logo never went blue!

Advertisement