Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus?

• 06-01-2010 9:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

So someone please tell me-will dublin buses be operating tomorrow- i really want to get the 75 bus...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

ring them
    check the website
    ask the dublin forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    i really want to get the 75 bus...

I want an umpa lumpa. I want an umpa lumpa NOW daddy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Buses are halted for the moment so I suppose best thing to do is get up early and check then for the latest.

I just think it's shocking Dublin bus doesn't have any kind of plan in place for this kind of scenario. The buses could easily handle the roads because of their weight and ability to gain traction. Less commuters too means they can run less buses and the ones that do run can have studded tyres.

...but no, not in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they said a limited service will operate, as long as roads are gritted

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Becky_Boo

'Dublin Bus has been informed that a heavy programme of gritting is planned for tonight and therefore expects to be able to restore services tomorrow morning.'
    Quote from their website suggests services should be running as normal by morning, fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Moved from After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I just think it's shocking Dublin bus doesn't have any kind of plan in place for this kind of scenario.
    They do have a plan, its called Shanks Mare :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

The buses could easily handle the roads because of their weight and ability to gain traction.
    not true tbh. I seen a few of them slide sideways back down gardiner street today after they couldn't make it up the hill. The weight worked against them on the hills and they lost control. Another lad out of work was in a truck behind one at christ church. Same thing, bus only got so far and came back down sideways. A garda jeep had to slow it down to prevent it mincing cars at the bottom of the hill.

People give dublin bus stick but in fairness, it just wasn't safe enough this afternoon for them on the roads. People can moan all they want about how they easily managed to drive down a main road in their car but it's a different story in a double decker. When it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The buses could easily handle the roads because of their weight and ability to gain traction. Less commuters too means they can run less buses and the ones that do run can have studded tyres.

Pity Dublin Bus don't read this site or they could have benefitted from all the expertise that's so widely available on internet chatboards :P

clown bag wrote: »
    People give dublin bus stick but in fairness, it just wasn't safe enough this afternoon for them on the roads. People can moan all they want about how they easily managed to drive down a main road in their car but it's a different story in a double decker. When it goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

Absolutely no problem with DB shutting up shop for a few hours/the night. Extreme situation and all that. My problem with them is that they released this information incredibly poorly - rumours and misinformation were a-plenty early on. Similar complaints with Dublin City Council, I was listening to newstalk in work at a quarter to 4 on which it was stated that salting and gritting won't take place until tomorrow, at which point I left work and walked home. The situation may have been unavoidable, but the poor management of it was definitely avoidable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

I just think it's shocking Dublin bus doesn't have any kind of plan in place for this kind of scenario. The buses could easily handle the roads because of their weight and ability to gain traction. Less commuters too means they can run less buses and the ones that do run can have studded tyres.
    I just think it's shocking that the local council's didn't bother to grit the roads and everyone blames Dublin Bus.
    Buses could easily handle the roads because of their weight?
    Where the hell did you get this from? Obviously you have not got a clue about buses, and their handling in different situations, When a bus starts to skid, Its almost impossible to regain control due to the weight of the vehicle, infact the weight just helps to make it move faster while in a skid.
    Seriously Ive a pain in my hole listening to experts who are talking through their holes. As for the studded tyres, seriously is it really worth the investment and manpower required for 1/2 days every 5/6 years.
    Simple answer is to grit the roads properly, I think most people realise the councils are under sever financial pressure and as a result are rationing the grit like its going out of fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

spareman wrote: »
    I just think it's shocking that the local council's didn't bother to grit the roads and everyone blames Dublin Bus.
    Where the hell did you get this from? Obviously you have not got a clue about buses, and their handling in different situations, When a bus starts to skid, Its almost impossible to regain control due to the weight of the vehicle, infact the weight just helps to make it move faster while in a skid.
    Seriously Ive a pain in my hole listening to experts who are talking through their holes. As for the studded tyres, seriously is it really worth the investment and manpower required for 1/2 days every 5/6 years.
    Simple answer is to grit the roads properly, I think most people realise the councils are under sever financial pressure and as a result are rationing the grit like its going out of fashion.

Fair play. Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

clown bag wrote: »
    not true tbh. I seen a few of them slide sideways back down gardiner street today after they couldn't make it up the hill. The weight worked against them on the hills and they lost control. Another lad out of work was in a truck behind one at christ church. Same thing, bus only got so far and came back down sideways. A garda jeep had to slow it down to prevent it mincing cars at the bottom of the hill.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving Dublin bus loads of stick, they're not the ones first in the firing line... but a plan should be in place. No one expects them to run full services, but most routes in Dublin are on flat roads and fairly easy to navigate for such large vehicles.

I went down Christchurch hill sideways myself so I understand the need not to run the buses there, but they could be re-routed away from that hill further up to take their routes.

Like I said above, I'm not putting the buses in the firing line first. Dublin city council is an absolute shambles but Dublin bus should have had some sort of plan here too.

Again, no one's expecting them to get into difficult situations, but a bus travelling at reasonable speed will not skid all over the roads. Sure, Christchurch hill is a no-go, but driving further up the quays and turning up into that area elsewhere when the roads are flat is much safer and far less likely to cause a skid.

No one here said they were experts, and as much as you want to call others self-professed experts, you're doing the same - except you're assuming your opinion is better and thus don't fall under the tag of "internet warrior".

Studded tyres on some busy routes would be worth the investment. We had icy conditions last January and it's likely to become a regular thing. So instead of shutting down the whole system and letting the cities pedestrians down they could run limited services. Which is fine, there's much less people trying to get the bus, so there's less need for all of the buses running. But we still need SOME buses to run.

But yes, the city council are the #1 eejits in this whole thing. They'll spend a ****e load of money on blooms day or some other crap, but will abandon the citizens in situations like today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

mikom wrote: »
    I want an umpa lumpa. I want an umpa lumpa NOW daddy!

Put those umpa lumpas in charge of DCC and Dublin Bus.

They would do a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

You are completely right. DCC are a complete joke. They have completely failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Again, no one's expecting them to get into difficult situations, but a bus travelling at reasonable speed will not skid all over the roads. Sure, Christchurch hill is a no-go, but driving further up the quays and turning up into that area elsewhere when the roads are flat is much safer and far less likely to cause a skid.

I went sidewards on the Florence rd this morning in Bray while stood still? The road camber also doesnt help the 12ton automatic beast. Stopping and starting at ungritted lay-bys also is a no no - plenty of 'abs' kicking in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No one here said they were experts, and as much as you want to call others self-professed experts, you're doing the same - except you're assuming your opinion is better and thus don't fall under the tag of "internet warrior".

Except that his opinion is better because he actually has a great deal of knowledge and experience of bus operations including driving a bus on ice unlike yourself and most of the other experts on here.
    Studded tyres on some busy routes would be worth the investment. We had icy conditions last January and it's likely to become a regular thing. So instead of shutting down the whole system and letting the cities pedestrians down they could run limited services. Which is fine, there's much less people trying to get the bus, so there's less need for all of the buses running. But we still need SOME buses to run.

You cannot put studded tyres on buses in Dublin, the logistics of it just don't add up and that is on top of the fact that the road conditions are not suitable for studded tyres anyway.

Do you have any idea the sort of damage a set of studded tyres on a 16 tonne bus would do to clear tarmac roads? The fact is, even on the rare occasions we have a heavy covering it is far from complete and unless your plan is to leave every road untreated so the studded buses can operate then every treated road with a bus route would quickly end up torn to bits (along with the studded tyres)

Considering how long it takes to swap a set of tyres on a bus, by the time enough buses to run any sort of useful service were returned to the garage, swapped over and got back out again the ice would be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know what's going on with the 74/74a? The Dublin Bus website say they're only going as far as Balrothery, but they never go near there at all. No-one answering the customer helpline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

Thats the 54A from listening to the bus radio.

Anyone know what's going on with the 74/74a? The Dublin Bus website say they're only going as far as Balrothery, but they never go near there at all. No-one answering the customer helpline.

74 - from Ringsend Garage to Terenure then onto bypass at Temploegue to Balrothery Roundaout where its terminating

74a - no service

http://www.dublinbus.ie/

• Advertisement
Advertisement