Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope ring height for T3 Tactical?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I am buying a Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 for my T3 tactical and I've been told I need low rings = .885

Does this sound right?

Murph.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

murph226 wrote: »
    Hi lads, I am buying a Nightforce F1 3.5-15x50 for my T3 tactical and I've been told I need low rings = .885

Does this sound right?

Murph.

who told you that murph.....normally the ring and mount makers will give good info on this, im using Ken Farrel medium mounts with my nightforce on my savage f/tr 308.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

who told you that murph.....normally the ring and mount makers will give good info on this, im using Ken Farrel medium mounts with my nightforce on my savage f/tr 308.

The dude at Euro optics, just want to be sure, I'm new to this rifle lark:o!

The lower the better right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Simply enough way to check. The objective lens of your scope is 50mm but this does not include the housing of the scope so allow 6mm for this (3mm top, 3mm bottom). Total hieght/width is 56mm. Divide this by half, so now you have 28mm.

Now you need to measure the height of the rail from the top of your action to the top of the rail. For talks sake 8mm. Subtract this from the half value of the scope measurement. 28mm - 8mm = 20mm. This is now the total minimum height required for the scope to clear the action/barrel. Convert 20mm to inches is roughly 7/8" or .870 of an inch. If the nounts are .885 then it will clear the action.

The figures above are based on your rail height being 8mm. Measure the rail height and do the math yourself and you will get the minimum height clearance needed.

Three common heights are 1.125", 1" and .885". (High, medium, low)

Meant to say. Check how the manufacturer measures their ring heights as not all do it the same way. Some meaure the height of the bottom of the curve of the ring to the base or the ring that sits on the rail. Others measure from the base of the ring (that sits on the rail) to the centre of the ring itself. How all this in clear enough. I have been known to ramble and people loose track of what i'm saying.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Thanks lad, I was thinking along the same lines but wasn't taking the thickness of the housing into account:o

Cheers Murph

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just added a bit to that last post and no hassle.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
Advertisement