Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LCD tv Vs LED

• 06-01-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all
    im planning on buying either an LCd or an LED TV and wondered if there was a huge difference between them, assuming i get teh 1080p versions and both are HD ready
    Thanks for your help
    And2008

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Price...LED is new tech, it's whatever you can afford. For me i got the biggest screen for my budget 1K....got an LG 47" LCD. LED is better but visually is there a huge difference?....i don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nevele

Thanks And2008 for asking this question. I want to buy a TV but can't decide which is the better one. Hope you get a reply.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/2669666/art/lg/47lh4000-lcd-television.html

See, the great thing about this TV is....the firmware hack!, basically by flashing an early firmware you can enable ALL of the USB functions, as in you can watch Divx HD including .mkv files!

Yep, as in 720/1080P .mkv such as TV shows and Blu-Ray rips. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 and2008

Thanks Richard
    Thats a great help, ill prob use that hack later on.
    Andy2008

It works on cheaper LH models, such as the 3000, 32"/37" etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved to Home Entertainment (General).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Be careful not to get dragged into the hype, it's not LCD vs LED (except for some extremely high end panels - see OLED) what you're choosing between is a CCFL and LED backlight for a LCD panel.

Some LED backlit TVs may offer an advantage of better contrast, however most on the market are using the LED as edge lighting, as opposed to the more promising matrix of LEDs, which can be dimmed helping black levels in a region of the screen.

Edge lit LEDs primarily offer a thinner panel but not much more.

If you really want "black blacks" consider a plasma panel.
    See, the great thing about this TV is....the firmware hack!, basically by flashing an early firmware you can enable ALL of the USB functions, as in you can watch Divx HD including .mkv files!

Alternatively you could buy a small USB player like a WD HDTV for about 60 to do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Yup, what PH said. What you're looking at are both LCD tv's but one is LED backlit meaning you get deeper blacks.

As far as I know Samsung are the only ones who are calling their LED backlit TV's 'LED TV's', and I read recently that they got into trouble with ofcom in the UK for misleading advertising.

Advertisement