Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gaming moment of the decade?

• 06-01-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

with all the stuff on tv about "X of the decade" what was your gaming moment of the decade.

i think mine would have to be, in no order;

playing gta for the 1st time
    the would you kindly scene in bioshock
    marcus and dom when they meet doms wife
    playing halo 3 for the 1st time (my first game i played online)

what are yours?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Mine would be finding out after months that Fallout 3 exists. Really was a superb game. Then I suppose playing COD 4 online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seeing that first colossus in the demo of shadow of the colossus. I knew then that the game really was something special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Arriving into City 17 in Half Life 2. Walking through the train station then outside... <wow>.

So atmospheric.

"Rise and shine Mr. Freeman.... rise and shine..."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

At least it wasn't Halo.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    And then releasing the game had no plot, a poor ending, poor weapons,completely scripted, overhyped and nowhere as near as good as the first game!

Sorry - can't agree with that at all. HL2 is a game I still, after all these years, go back to for a play every now and again.

The merits of HL2 have been gone over with far more finesse than I could possibly manage here. Needless to say, any game that blows one persons mind can leave another cold. And given I played HL2 + EP 1 + EP 2 one after another, I think the absolutely brilliant bits outweigh the weaker moments by far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Halo CE, when it came out it was so much fun, and i think it is my favorite of the series. The ending was particularly awesome!

Advance Wars on the GBA was an amazing game also.

In general, there have been so many great games this decade it's hard to choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭marky boii

pLAYING call of duty 4 online

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    GTA4 is another that can be put into that bracket.

Heh. I wrote the reply thinking of GTA4. I bought it on the strength of reviews. And only after wandering around for a few hours getting phone calls from the pr*ck of a cousin did I realise I was neither interested nor entertained :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

marky boii wrote: »
    pLAYING call of duty 4 online

do you look at what you type?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I don't know why, this still has to be it for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Jev/N wrote: »
    do you look at what you type?

Haha :p

For me it was probably completing FFX on the PS2. I hadn't completed an RPG quite like it in some time, was my first PS2 title, first one I completed without stopping level up and gave me an immense sense of accomplishment once it was done.

I stopped gaming properly soon after, and while I've bought and still game every now and then I don't believe I've properly completed an RPG since.

I'm sure there are more but that's what comes into my head right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Haha :p

For me it was probably completing FFX on the PS2. I hadn't completed an RPG quite like it in some time, was my first PS2 title, first one I completed without stopping level up and gave me an immense sense of accomplishment once it was done.

I stopped gaming properly soon after, and while I've bought and still game every now and then I don't believe I've properly completed an RPG since.

I'm sure there are more but that's what comes into my head right now
    Oh sure, just expand a bit on my answer :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Oh sure, just expand a bit on my answer :rolleyes: :p

LMAO, I honestly didn't see your post! I had the thread opened from before your post and only got around to replying.

Good to see I'm not the only one who enjoyed it though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

For one, Goldeneye on the N64, although it was released just before 2000 I don't think I had it straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭collie1

playing ninja gaiden for the first time on xbox. plus splinter cell pandora tomorrow online is still my highlight of online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Gotta agree FFX blew me away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I don't know why, this still has to be it for me

while the game itself isnt one of my favs, I remember playing the demo and watching that intro movie, months before the game came out. It still looks pretty good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

FF7/FF10

Two of the best rpg games and I love the music from these 2.

The current generation of consoles are probably the gaming moment of the decade for me though. The release of the 360 was such a leap forward in terms of defining how we play console games today. The explosion of xbox live and hd gaming. The xbox is the reason we bought a hd tv and now the old CRT's are long turfed out. I think that's pretty defining!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Finally getting Xbox live to work on my 360. Sitting down putting that headset on firing up Rainbow Six Vegas without having a clue what I was doing.

The world just open up and pwoned me.

Fallout 3 was pretty special too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 paulof1985

COD 4 and MW2.

CoD 5 was such a let down, hope treyarch are banned from releasing anything ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Gears of War Multiplayer - first time I'd every gamed online, played it soldid for months
    Portal - Mad to think it was tagged onto the HL2 release, played it more than HL
    Trials HD - God I love this game, constantly playing it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Playing Gears of War for the first time on a HD tv.
    I was amazed at how it looked.

The opening helicoptor sequence in Dead Rising, passing over the town.

I knew then that this was something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,152 ✭✭✭✭Penn

COD4:MW - The Ghillie and sniper level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Laughing at Fallout 3's ending. A sensational game up until then.

Playing Majora's Mask, one of the greatest underrated games of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

COD4:MW - The Ghillie and sniper level

+1. Love the start when Capt.Mac just pops out in front of ya from nowhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seeing that first colossus in the demo of shadow of the colossus. I knew then that the game really was something special.

great response, i loved it too! i didnt realise quite so quickly though i did buy it on the strength of the demo and the strength of ICO. took me until about the 5th colossi-ish, the big flying hairy fella over the lake, to realise, WOW!, this game is not letting up, the monsters are getting more faster, more different and more impressive the longer the game goes on. An absolute masterpiece and one I'd love to see remade with no slowdown and HD graphics because as brilliant as the ps2 performed, it was underpowered for such an impressive game.

Is it the best moment of the decade? very high up there but I must say experiencing Kowloon, the now demolished walled city in China, in Shenmue 2, ending with fighting up the Chi-You-Men's building and getting sight of Lan-Di again, what a game! i played that first time around from 12-6am with a broken knuckle on my right hand but it didnt matter, didnt stop me. I was so wrecked from playing through the night clearing the third disc, i slept out all that morning. No biggie except I meant to go see our minor team play a west cork league final, i scored the winning point of the semi so it was desparate form of me not to at least watch the final!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Corholio wrote: »
    Laughing at Fallout 3's ending. A sensational game up until then.

Ah but with the Dlc that isnt the end of the game:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Not an xbox moment, but touching down on Tallon IV in Metroid Prime for the first time was awesome... Brought memories of Super Metroid flooding back:)

xbox moment for me was prolly firing up Gears of War on my new HD tv... Different shades of brown had never looked so awesome!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There would be a few moments, across all the consoles, that stick out for me. Should probably move this to Games, rather then the Xbox forum, but whatever.

World of Warcraft - So many things, but the 1st thing that really blew me away was seeing the Deadmines for the 1st time.
    Homeworld - Seeing my Ion Cannon Frigates firing for the 1st time.
    Half Life 2 - Pretty much everything about it, but especially the Gman in the intro. 'Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, rise and shine.'
    Halo - Driving the Warthog through the Pillar of Autumn in the last level.
    Portal - GLaDOS's fantastic dialogue, along with the adorable Companion Cube :P
    Shadow of the Colossus - Seeing the 1st Colossus was fantastic, but seeing the 1st flying Colossus blew me away.
    Mass Effect - Seeing the Normandy attacking Soverign towards the end. All of it was great, but i loved this part.
    Wii Sports - 1st time i played this, it was an absolute blast.

And many many others. To be fair, what a decade it was for gaming.

Advertisement