Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gaming moment of the decade?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Kiith wrote: »
    Half Life 2 - Pretty much everything about it, but especially the Gman in the intro. 'Rise and shine Mr. Freeman, rise and shine.'

That bit makes my skin crawl every time... I actually fire up HL2 a couple of times a year just to watch the opening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

Fable on the original xbox. Great game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I've got a few, though not necessarily xbox, though OP did say gaming moments so I suppose it's open :P

Runescape - getting my first skill cape (fishing). Bitch and moan all you want about the game, I loved and wish my computer wasn't a piece of **** so I could go back to it.

PS2 - Finishing Kingdom Hearts 1. One of the greatest games I've ever played, christ I wish some ps2 titles could be ported to Xbox, for all it's flaws, it had some amazing titles. I'd also loved to give the FF's a bash again, I've played 8 and 10 and loved them (embaressed to admit I bought 10-2 and hated it beyond reason), but I've never finished a FF. FF XIII will be my first, if of course I convince myself to buy it.

Xbox - Halo, say all you want about it, it's still a classic game. I know bungie's standards have dropped lately, but the music, the enviornment, the story. It's an experience :P. XBL in general has been fantastic. Great community, great features, and some really great games. The ps3 might be a better consoles, but it has a lot to live up to in terms of a network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Not all strictly Xbox but:

Medal of Honor (Number 1): The opening scene where you storm the Omaha Beach in the D-Day landings a la saving private Ryan

Call of Duty: First Mission (Carentan? with the church) when you get stunned by a shell and the hearing goes

+1 on the Bioshock "would you kindly" at the ending

Intro to Killzone 2 on PS3

Finding out Capt. Price is alive COD MW2

COD MW Sniping level + AC130

Deus Ex When you realize after 1st mission who the bad guys really are and you feel slightly bad, then the revelations based on real world through out the game.

Oblivion the first time you walk up to the imperial city and walk through its streets

Half Life The mono-rail intro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Kiith wrote: »
    Mass Effect - Seeing the Normandy attacking Soverign towards the end. All of it was great, but i loved this part.

+1 on that scene in Mass Effect. It was amazing, the whole last act of that game was epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Two moments that could not be more different;

1. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2):
    Colossus 13 (Flying in the Desert)
    When the Wanderer appoachs the spot where the Colossus raises from the ground, the Colossus does so gracefully and then just flies around the surrounding area. Very peaceful and in no way provoking a fight.
    The camera pans back and its just the Wanderer and Argo sitting there watching it fly around.
    A moment or two later it hits you that, technically speaking, you have to get a move on and kill it.
    I then had an epiphany and understood what "art" actualy meant.

2. Gears of War (360):
    Tab B to reve your lancer... "okay lets see what this does" ... (encounters an enemy)... "that was the coolest thing ever."

I could go on... and probably will...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Two moments that could not be more different;

1. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2):
    Colossus 13 (Flying in the Desert)
    When the Wanderer appoachs the spot where the Colossus raises from the ground, the Colossus does so gracefully and then just flies around the surrounding area. Very peaceful and in no way provoking a fight.
    The camera pans back and its just the Wanderer and Argo sitting there watching it fly around.
    A moment or two later it hits you that, technically speaking, you have to get a move on and kill it.
    I then had an epiphany and understood what "art" actualy meant.

2. Gears of War (360):
    Tab B to reve your lancer... "okay lets see what this does" ... (encounters an enemy)... "that was the coolest thing ever."

I could go on... and probably will...

in most cases, you felt quite guilty killing these beasts, they did nothing wrong and you are killing them for your own selfish needs!
    another moment, when argo falls to his apparent death, you just feel so lonely and helpless without him, he was your only friend in the entire game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

The End boss fight in MGS Snake Eater, actually all of Snake Eater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Playing GTA3 for the first time after wondering for so long if a 3D GTA would work.

Mass Effect final act as others have mentioned. Space Opera at it's absolute best.

Some of the boss fights from MGS4, most notably the crying wolf blizzard encounter.

The intro to Halo, being plunged head first into an epic attack. Most immersive intro since Half Life (a feat each of their respective sequels failed to achieve).

Shogun: Total War, changing the way we looked at strategy games and adding so much depth like morale, fatigue, terrain, etc.

Daikatana - Kept hearing so much about this game and seeing so much publicity and advertising space. In the end it will be remembered more for the hype than the mediocre game.

Gears of War and the introduction of cover into mainstream shooters. No more Quake style strafing.

Playing the Omaha mission on MoH:Allied Assault for the first time.

Fighting Alma in Ninja Gaiden.

Playing the Max Payne demo over and over purely because bullet time was so much fun.

Uncharted 2, the first time I have played a tomb raider-esque title and felt like I was inside an action movie.

Championship Manager 03/04 when I guided Nottingham Forest to a treble and losing out on the quadruple in an FA cup defeat (yes, it wasn't a "proper" treble). I resigned a legend before moving on to an aging Inter Milan team at the bottom of the Serie A and guiding them to the Scudetto in year 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

To name a few:

MGS: Sons of liberty. Probably the weakest of the series, but dear lord did I play it alot. :eek: Loved tanker mission, and when Ray fires up for the first time.

Halo - Dunno where to start with this one, simply defined my teenage years, so many good memories of it!! :) Getting a double kill with a single sniper round before you had "kill cams" and "theatre" modes :P

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow: Online play, so unique, playing on xlink:kai for hours on end :D

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory: Probably one of my favorite single player games.

Oblivion: HD graphics blew me away, so immersive, loved every second of it. Glued to the screen. Everything about this was awesome.

GTA: Vice City: Firmly believe it's the best of the series. Absolutely loved just "hanging out" in that game. Flying around the place on all the different vehicles and stuff. Soundtrack was EPIC

Final Fantasy X: First final fantasy game I played :eek: Something very special about it I cant put my finger on, but wow. Opening video.

HalfLife2: Just love fps, and so well put together.

Bioshock: loved it, loved it, loved it! Cleared it on all difficulties first week of realise, couldn't get enough of it at all. :o Would you kindly!

Wow, the noughties were filled with pretty much all my gaming memories! :eek:

Man, had so much time when I was younger for this crap. College and work get in the way now. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭stopusingoil

Red Faction Guerrilla, when I saw my first 3 story building collapse (realistically) after I destroyed all the walls on the ground floor. Mmmmm yeah, physics engines.

Yes, i am a nerd! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

I'm repeating a lot that has been said already but:

Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64 - For some of the most fun multiplayer experiences I've ever had, even including all the fancy pants online nowadays. Nothing was more fun than pinning someone in with proximity mines and watching them squirm or actually managing not to f**k up the shortcut on Koopa Troopa Beach!

Rugby 08 on PS2, still playing it, personally think it's the best rugby game made, even over Lomu.

Super Mario Galaxy - Particularly the first space "blast off", nearly gave me the same feeling as the first time I saw Mario in 3D and my jaw walloped the floor!

B.I.A Hell's Highway - The moment when during a cutscene a priest's intestines are on display and it becomes clear this game means business.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Every cutscene is a moment of the decade but the game itself showed there was hope left for the single player experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Delta_Raven1

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic was epic so was battlefront 2 but the best moment in gaming had to be MGS:4 when big boss shows up at the end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't know why, this still has to be it for me

Yep, that was deadly...Love IX and X so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭Baird

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Deus Ex When you realize after 1st mission who the bad guys really are and you feel slightly bad, then the revelations based on real world through out the game.

My favourite game of all time.
    Followed closely by C&C !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Resident Evil 4. So many good moments, but I'll highlight the QTE knife fight with Krauser. Never have I been less relaxed while watching a cutscene, just brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Obviously games like Deus Ex or Half Life are discounted as they were released before 2000 so in no particular order

1. COD4- Ghillies in the mist/ Dying after the nuke goes off(I was there..wtf..how can i die?)

2.Halo - You're on a huge bridge overlooking a canyon..you come out at one side...at the other side a couple of the enemy come out..
    both of ye look at each other..and realise there's a Banshee in the middle of the bridge..so basically it's a race to get there...absolutely mindblowing :D

3.HL2- Picking up a blade with the gravity gun and slicing zombies in half :D

4.Gears of War - Finally..a proper cover system

5.Battlefield 2 - My first proper online game...a game where I can fly jets, be a sniper or generally all round kick ass guy??...fúckin bring it on :D

6. Max Payne Bullet time :D What more to say? From this to the hilarious scenes in it eavesdropping on the bad guys to where you blow up a door and the whole wall falls down instead leaving the door intact...absolutely fantastic game with loads of laughs :)

7. Fear More bullet time and scary :) sure it was linear but it was a fantastic shoot em up..pity the sequels were crap

and now the worst

1. Deus Ex 2 - It's a complete insult to the original to even label this game as Dues Ex...unified ammo..dumbed down for consolers...a part of me died when I saw it :(

2. Call Of Duty 5 - After COD4 surely COD5 would be just as good? Oh no...we had to go all the way back to WW2 again..fúck you Treyarch :mad:

3. Battlefield 2142- No jets? Whaddy mean no jets...fúck you EA..again like COD5 a poor imitation of a classic :mad:

4. Max Payne 2- Max was gone and a new Max was in place...and he sucked...for a supposedly more advanced engine bullet time sucked big time in this..the devs hid it well with slowing down movement etc but it was there to see or rather the bullets weren't there to see..

5 Street Fighter 4- Compared to 2 it sucks...the stupid game is still lying on the floor with my arcade joystick unused..I hate the stupid flexy moves before the game..I hate the blocky sprites..SF2 is still the best overall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Berkut wrote: »
    5 Street Fighter 4- Compared to 2 it sucks...the stupid game is still lying on the floor with my arcade joystick unused..I hate the stupid flexy moves before the game..I hate the blocky sprites..SF2 is still the best overall.

If you are playing it in single player you are doing it wrong.

And whoever said the bosses of MGS4 needs to play a game with good bosses because for me they sucked. Try MGS3 at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭fleecymanager

has to be (would you kindly) from bioshock.... didn't see that coming
    i also loved all gilled up in cod, but that scene in bioshock made my blood run cold for a second

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not having a clue about fallout 3 the week of release and examining the box in the shop and thinking how bad could it be not realising it was by the same people who made oblivion :eek:

Number 2 would be stepping out of the vault for the 1st time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    And whoever said the bosses of MGS4 needs to play a game with good bosses because for me they sucked. Try MGS3 at the very least.

That would be me, and no.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

ryan91 wrote: »
    Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic was epic so was battlefront 2 but the best moment in gaming had to be MGS:4 when big boss shows up at the end

KoTOR was the best ever. Carth was such a knob.

KoTOR 2's crappy ending was one of my worst times ever playing games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

BigDuffman wrote: »

Finding out Capt. Price is alive COD MW2

Are you suggesting you cared about the characters... and had some idea as to what as going on? MW2 had worst story of the decade. I was just looking at the screen thinking, 'clearly they assume I know who this character is from the first game, but I don't.' (Yes I finished COD4) I'm playing as about 20 different people, why would I remember one?

I believe the following best describes the MW2 single player mode:

Thats_the_joke.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

1.Joining xbl how I felt like a 2 year old all over again.
    2.Getting beat for the first time i thought they were pro gamers.
    3.Frist online game on xbl cod2 and perfect dark zero.
    4.Halo3
    5.MW1 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Grr, I'm just gonna mention a couple

1. Leaving the vault/being stuck in that computer simulation in Fallout 3

2. The village scene at the start of Resi 4, jesus I was relieved when those church bells rang at the end

3. All Ghillied Up mission in COD 4

4. Watching that bastard Lan Di escape on a helicopter in Shenmue 2

5. Playing Wii Sports Tennis for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Throwing the Bloginator out of the helicopter, diving after him, grabbing him, opening the chute just before hitting the ground and then seeing that he had shat himself in The Ballad of Gay Tony was a pretty good one. Serves him right for such a terrible attempt at an irish accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

My moment of the decade? taaking my pc version of cod:mw2 and using it as a frisbee off my wall... although if possible i think it may have lagged b4 eventually hitting the wall :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

paulof1985 wrote: »
    COD 4 and MW2.

CoD 5 was such a let down, hope treyarch are banned from releasing anything ever again.
    Sadly no. they have been already set the date for cod7 in november 2011, the setting will be vietnamese war with rumours that the story as always will be set around 2 charachters one american one vietnamese.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Haha :p

For me it was probably completing FFX on the PS2. I hadn't completed an RPG quite like it in some time, was my first PS2 title, first one I completed without stopping level up and gave me an immense sense of accomplishment once it was done.

I stopped gaming properly soon after, and while I've bought and still game every now and then I don't believe I've properly completed an RPG since.

I'm sure there are more but that's what comes into my head right now

FFVIII on the Pc when I was twelve, back in 99/2000. A mate had it on the PSX and I thought it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. (Only ever played ****ty windows 98 games like Commander Keen.)

The first and only FF that I've ever 100%'ed *all cards, GF's, secrets*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I like how a lot of the games we are picking are on playstations and we're on the xbox forum :p Even I picked FFX as a moment of the decade and I'd get a 360 over a PS3 anyday! :O FFVIII was in the last decade!? I thought it was 90's for some reason... I would of added that to mine too!

Advertisement