Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gaming moment of the decade?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

In no particular order:
    • First seeing City 17 in Half-Life 2, and ofcourse the Phys-Gun.
    • The twist in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic.
    • World in Conflict's nuclear missile and that beautiful sound dampener as it detonated.
    • The opening music to Battlefield 1942.
    • When the front panel of the water transports dropped on Omaha Beach in MOH:AA.
    • Far Cry's engine.
    • The horrific and tortuous atmosphere of F.E.A.R
    • Entering Stormwind City in WoW for the first time, and subsequently downing Ragnaros and Onyxia.
    • Portal.
    • The opening cutscene to Red Alert 2 and the Hell's March anthem.
    • Bullet-time in Max Payne 1, and the application of Physics in it's sequel.
    • Getting my lightsaber in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast.

It has been some decade, and I am sure there are many more memorable moments, but this is all I can think of just now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

For me it has to be the moment the nuke goes off in COD4. And crawling from the chopper to your death. It really felt like you were alone and helpless on the far side of the world. Right up until the next loading screen said "Sgt Paul Jackson: KIA", I was convinced I was going to be rescued.

And the fact that it all happens minutes after saving the downed chopper pilot made the scene even more impactful. It truly was a case of the game playing YOU! The Call of Duty series peaked with that game.

And then Infinity Ward came out with that Modern Warfare 2 rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The would you kindly moment was easily the best storyling moment in aby of the games I've played this decade but my favourite moment was probably playing Mario 64 on a handheld and just remembering the Gameboy colour I had but 7 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Terry Cotta

Halo - The second level when you crash land on Halo and step outside the Pod and go wandering towards the waterfall, looking up at the sky at the ring going all the way around. Then two banshees come out of nowhere.

Or in the first snow level when you go outside for the first time and theres a big battle happening in the distance. Brilliant game.

Colin McCrae Rally 3
    Shenmue 2
    Splinter Cell 1
    Age of Empires 2 - Think it came out late 99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Ok, here are mine (although they aren't strictly this decade)

1. The Psycho Mantis fight in MGS- First occurrence of crossing the line afaik in video games, took me ages to work out to pick up the second controller
    2. Finding out there is no cake
    3. Wipeout in it's initial incarnation, the first proper soundtrack to a game and a complete fusion of cultures
    4. Shadow of the Collussus - I know it's been mentioned before but really can't wait for the sequel, may even get a PS3 just for it
    5. The zombie dog/window bit in resident evil, "hello gaming, this is horror"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sitting down into one of those for the first time. When I win the lotto, it's the first thing I'm getting.

Advertisement