Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Frozen outdoor pipe and no water for 5 days!

• 06-01-2010 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi there, I'm doing this as I am desperate! I've been without water since last Sat (Jan 2) I had a plumber up on the Sunday who spent 3 hours trying to free it, putting compressed air down the pipe etc but to no avail. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
    Everyone is giving advice on roads etc but nothing on this problem. I've tried hot water to the stop cock etc but no luck. My neighbours have water, but their mains comes in at the back of their houses and the sun shines there all day. Mine comes in the front, in the one spot that gets virtually no sun in winter.
    What do people do in these situations? I don't know where to go for help! Do I just wait it out or will this damage my pipes in the long run. I've left my taps open to avoid built up pressure but is there anything I can do to speed things up?
    Thanks!!!!:):confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

dawnymac wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm doing this as I am desperate! I've been without water since last Sat (Jan 2) I had a plumber up on the Sunday who spent 3 hours trying to free it, putting compressed air down the pipe etc but to no avail. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
    Everyone is giving advice on roads etc but nothing on this problem. I've tried hot water to the stop cock etc but no luck. My neighbours have water, but their mains comes in at the back of their houses and the sun shines there all day. Mine comes in the front, in the one spot that gets virtually no sun in winter.
    What do people do in these situations? I don't know where to go for help! Do I just wait it out or will this damage my pipes in the long run. I've left my taps open to avoid built up pressure but is there anything I can do to speed things up?
    Thanks!!!!:):confused:

Sorry to hear about no water for 5 days. No water is an emergency, if your supply comes from Co Council you should ring them asap, if your water comes from a group supply / scheme ring up the manager of that supply. If you have a fresh water well, ring up a well service type person.

You've tried all the tricks in the book, hot water over exposed mains pipe, plumber tried to free up frost plug by adding compressed air, only problem is, air wont pressurize water, If you can get your hands on a plumbers hand pump to pressurize mains pipe might be worth giving it go.

Sounds like your mains is frozen solid underground, Council might have to provide you with a temp supply, failing that, call in next door see if you can run a temp supply from next door to yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dawnymac

Thanks for that! I'll ring the council tomorrow and see if I can get a temporary supply or what they can offer! Bringing buckets in from the neighbours' for the time being - there is so little info on this anywhere and I know I'm not the only person with this problem.
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Thanks for that! I'll ring the council tomorrow and see if I can get a temporary supply or what they can offer! Bringing buckets in from the neighbours' for the time being - there is so little info on this anywhere and I know I'm not the only person with this problem.
    Thanks again!

If you have any children etc make sure you let Co Council know, they'll come out sooner to a house with children than a house with just a single male. They might not be able to fix you up with a supply, they'll prob tell you what you already know, mains frozen, wait until it thaws out, even so best notify them.

Best of luck.

items wrote: »
    If you have any children etc make sure you let Co Council know, they'll come out sooner to a house with children than a house with just a single male. They might not be able to fix you up with a supply, they'll prob tell you what you already know, mains frozen, wait until it thaws out, even so best notify them.

Best of luck.
    Cheers! Thanks again, will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭RunHomerRun

I'm in similar situation - no water with 2 days.
    I'll try all the good suggestions provided in the posts.
    But - it could be just a case of the pipes under the ground being frozen - so I may just have to wait.

Have I have noticed however - we have a well, pipes coming from this into garage, through pump in garage and the on into the house.
    The pipe from the well to the garage are NOT very deep underground - it appears to just be under the surface - is there a standard minimum depth they should be underground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Same problem. My water has been off since Saturday. I've tried everything but at this point have given up. Whatever progress you are making (if any) is negated by the night when temperatures fall to -8 around here...

I have a temporary hose pipe going from my neighbours garden tap (which is frozen solid every morning even though its wrapped in insulutation and has two buckets on it!! I connected this to my outdoor tap and turned both on. I reduced the pressure from my mains (in case it comes back on...). This now acts as my fresh water supply and is filling up my attic water tank and providing enough pressure to run washing machine and dishwasher. Of course the pressure is less than regular supply but to be honest its a life saver.

I disconnect it at night when not it use... If the flow in the pipe stops for 5 minutes it will be frozen so I have to take in doors every night... Before we were relying on 25 litre tanks (we got from argos)... No fun when it comes to flushing toilets............

X

Xcellor wrote: »
    Same problem. My water has been off since Saturday. I've tried everything but at this point have given up. Whatever progress you are making (if any) is negated by the night when temperatures fall to -8 around here...

I have a temporary hose pipe going from my neighbours garden tap (which is frozen solid every morning even though its wrapped in insulutation and has two buckets on it!! I connected this to my outdoor tap and turned both on. I reduced the pressure from my mains (in case it comes back on...). This now acts as my fresh water supply and is filling up my attic water tank and providing enough pressure to run washing machine and dishwasher. Of course the pressure is less than regular supply but to be honest its a life saver.

I disconnect it at night when not it use... If the flow in the pipe stops for 5 minutes it will be frozen so I have to take in doors every night... Before we were relying on 25 litre tanks (we got from argos)... No fun when it comes to flushing toilets............

X

Xcellor
    Think I'm mis-reading this.

Neighours garden tap - hose connecting this to your garden tap.
    How is that filling up your attic water tank?

Can you explain?

Xcellor
    Think I'm mis-reading this.

Neighours garden tap - hose connecting this to your garden tap.
    How is that filling up your attic water tank?

Can you explain?

OK here goes.

Since I have no water coming from my mains, my garden tap is dead. Usually it would output water. I am using this as an input now. The pressure from my neighbours tap comes into mine (so essentially my garden tap is like the mains inflow now). If you look under your sink this tap is fed directly off the mains and is connected to your cold tap and also to the tank in your attic and in my case, dish washer and washing machine.

If you shut off your main water (red) this will stop the water flowing along to meet the blockage... I tried to clear it using the pressure but to no avail... The pressure will be less but if you get a full tank of water in your attic then you are grand for showers and toilet flushes.

Here is a rough diagram below.

[ Neighbours tap - connect this and turn on... water should come if not defrost with warm kettle.
    |
    |
    |
    |
    [ Outside tap - turn this on to allow the flow to come through.
    |
    |
    Kitchen Tap - Now kitchen tap should have water.
    |
    Mains water - turn this to low (if frozen nothing should be coming but atleast this gives the opportunity for flow if it comes back)
    |
    Dishwasher/Washing machine
    |
    Water tank (listen to see if you can hear tank filling)

I recommend leaving a dripping tap so the pressure is not to great on hose pipe.

Excellent stuff Xcellor - thanks for that.

Essentially using the garden tap (originally an output) as an input.

My neighbours are a little far away, so dunno if I can get a hose long enough.

Excellent stuff Xcellor - thanks for that.

Essentially using the garden tap (originally an output) as an input.

My neighbours are a little far away, so dunno if I can get a hose long enough.

30 meter stretch of pipe available in homebase for 21 euro. Probably cheaper in a builders merchant. Add a couple of couplings....

You have to be really quick and make sure both taps are unfrozen first... You would not believe how quickly the water will freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭mezzdon

Hi, I know this is a bit late in your situation but everyone should do it. If you leave a tap dripping at all times your pipes will never freeze! My family have been doing it for 3 generations and my granddad comes from the Alps in Italy (now thats freezing).. I don't know how it works but none of us ever have frozen pipes..

mezzdon wrote: »
    Hi, I know this is a bit late in your situation but everyone should do it. If you leave a tap dripping at all times your pipes will never freeze! My family have been doing it for 3 generations and my granddad comes from the Alps in Italy (now thats freezing).. I don't know how it works but none of us ever have frozen pipes..

Moving water can't freeze. Watched a documentary on how Slush Puppies can work since hte water is below freezing but isn't solid. One of the main reasons is the movement....

Lots of people doing this around Longford and it has lead to the council turning water off at night ;) Unfortunately this approach doesnt work then!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 garimac

mezzdon wrote: »
    If you leave a tap dripping at all times your pipes will never freeze! ..

Is this also OK to do if you are using a private well, will it damage the pump?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 prof_frink_2000

On met.ie this report shows the 10cm Soil temp. Can help give an idea of the temp around your pipe: http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

garimac wrote: »
    Is this also OK to do if you are using a private well, will it damage the pump?

Thanks

if you have a submersible pump i.e. the pump is at the bottom of the well and not in a pump house then this should not make any difference, just leave your tap turned on a small bit about 5% open a trickle and that should do it:D

if your pump is not a submersible then it could overheat and burn out the pump:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Crispina

Help... I am living in Co Cork and have had no water since Saturday (2nd Jan). My house is a newly built and I know that the cause is an outside pipe from the mains that was not buried deep enough. The pipe is on my own property and I have tried desperately to insulate it and bury it even deeper but still no water . I am willing to sit and wait for the thaw as I am keeping my water tanks topped up so that I can use bathroom etc.... My worry is that the freeze will make its way into the house......Although all my pipes/ tanks etc... inside the house are well insulted. Is there anything I should be doing.. Should I turn the water supply off coming int the house ? Should I leave the tap in the kitchen on in case the water comes back as to prevent a pressure build up????? I am getting a bit paranoid here.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Contact your elected local Councillor, which I am sure you have. It is a local matter and that is why we elect these guys. Plus, your pipes were not put down far enough by the builder or may be under concrete instead of grass. Under grass you have some chance of higher temperatures rising to enact a thaw during the day.

Best of luck.

Cheers! Thanks again, will let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Crispina wrote: »
    Help... I am living in Co Cork and have had no water since Saturday (2nd Jan). My house is a newly built and I know that the cause is an outside pipe from the mains that was not buried deep enough. The pipe is on my own property and I have tried desperately to insulate it and bury it even deeper but still no water . I am willing to sit and wait for the thaw as I am keeping my water tanks topped up so that I can use bathroom etc.... My worry is that the freeze will make its way into the house......Although all my pipes/ tanks etc... inside the house are well insulted. Is there anything I should be doing.. Should I turn the water supply off coming int the house ? Should I leave the tap in the kitchen on in case the water comes back as to prevent a pressure build up????? I am getting a bit paranoid here.......

I couldn't imagine it having an effect on the pipes inside the house. Once you keep heat in the house e.g. fires electric heaters and even LIVING and COOKING in the house generates heat. A tip for you, put on your oven, even if you are not cooking as that will generate heat. I know it seems a waste of electricity or gas but it helps. Don't leave oven unattended though! It might even prompt you to do some home baking. For the outside, maybe if you have an old piece of carpet or old rugs, throw them down before the sun goes down and it will keep in the heat. Might even help to thaw the pipes, gradually. Whatever you do, don't heat the outside pipe suddenly like pouring boiling water or else... it would cause a sudden thaw and expand the pipes and burst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Crispina

Thanks for that . Will do but I doubt if he can do anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I'm in similar situation - no water with 2 days.
    I'll try all the good suggestions provided in the posts.
    But - it could be just a case of the pipes under the ground being frozen - so I may just have to wait.

Have I have noticed however - we have a well, pipes coming from this into garage, through pump in garage and the on into the house.
    The pipe from the well to the garage are NOT very deep underground - it appears to just be under the surface - is there a standard minimum depth they should be underground?

If you have a short run of pipe from the well to the garage, it might be worth using a combination of heat and insulation to try and induce a thaw. If you have some old bricks or half size concrete blocks, heat them up in an oven, range, open fire etc. Space them out along the pipe run and cover them with old carpets etc. Just watch that they are not too hot so as to create a fire hazard. (Storage heaters work on this principle)

Also check the pump and the piping into the house are above freezing point as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sorry to jump in on this and I can sympahise with anyone without water at the moment.

I've just noticed this morning that my tank in the attic was empty. Ball cock working ok, cold water to kitchen sink ok.

I've disconnected the pipe going into the tank in attic and disconnected it at the next fitting 6 foot down pipe and its clear....water flowing through it.

So I disconnected the black polypie under the sink and disconnected at the fitting in the attic and blew compressed air through and its not coming through.

I can only imagine that in some section of the pipe its got frozen water. This pipe though is inside the house if I was led to believe so I'm wondering why I've got a frozen section.

Next door neighbour checked his and its ok.

I don't see the point in trying to clear it with rods if I could, cos the water would just freeze again. Do I just sit it out and wait for the thaw?

I'm lucky at one level I still have water in my kitchen tap

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    sorry to jump in on this and I can sympahise with anyone without water at the moment.

I've just noticed this morning that my tank in the attic was empty. Ball cock working ok, cold water to kitchen sink ok.

I've disconnected the pipe going into the tank in attic and disconnected it at the next fitting 6 foot down pipe and its clear....water flowing through it.

So I disconnected the black polypie under the sink and disconnected at the fitting in the attic and blew compressed air through and its not coming through.

I can only imagine that in some section of the pipe its got frozen water. This pipe though is inside the house if I was led to believe so I'm wondering why I've got a frozen section.

Next door neighbour checked his and its ok.

I don't see the point in trying to clear it with rods if I could, cos the water would just freeze again. Do I just sit it out and wait for the thaw?

I'm lucky at one level I still have water in my kitchen tap

I would probably superheat the house. Put on all the radiators and increase the temperature in the boiler. You only need to get that area to 1 degree to induce thawing. If you have an idea which wall the pipe lies behind then get a fan heater and direct it at the wall.

I'd be concerned that the pipe maybe damaged due to the expansion and possibly once unfrozen might leak. You will need to monitor very closely and if there is any sign of dampness and water kill the flow immediately. Strange that you got a freeze inside...

I would probably superheat the house. Put on all the radiators and increase the temperature in the boiler. You only need to get that area to 1 degree to induce thawing. If you have an idea which wall the pipe lies behind then get a fan heater and direct it at the wall.

I'd be concerned that the pipe maybe damaged due to the expansion and possibly once unfrozen might leak. You will need to monitor very closely and if there is any sign of dampness and water kill the flow immediately. Strange that you got a freeze inside...

thats the weirdest bit that its the pipe inside the house

I think for the time being I'll just fill my tank with a hose from kitchen sink so I can get water back into my hot water cylinder...

I might boost the house temp for the night time anyway...thanks

thats the weirdest bit that its the pipe inside the house

I think for the time being I'll just fill my tank with a hose from kitchen sink so I can get water back into my hot water cylinder...

I might boost the house temp for the night time anyway...thanks

The hot water tank should never run dry since it depends on cold water from the tank to force the water in the hot tank out. No cold water from tank the water already in it will stay in it. I wouldn't use immersion though :) Hope you get it sorted but as long as you have mains water you are at least luckier that some!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Not exactly plumbing help, but here's my experience:

Last Jan my water just stopped coming out of the kitchen tap. Used bathroom water to boil for tea etc.. then after a day or so I obivously had emptied the tank. I have gas central heating so didn't use that as I was afraid to. No shower either! So I was smelly, hungry and freezing! :mad:

I live in an private estate of about 100 houses, it was only my house and one other house that was affected. Reckon the pipes had not been buried deep enough when the house was built. Tried pouring hot (NOT boiling) water on the stopcock outside, even poured it up and down the driveway on the concrete (I'm a tryer!). Nothing worked...

I called the county council out of sheer desperation and mainly looking for advice. I presumed that because it was a private estate it would have nothing to do with the council..

Anyway, I spoke to the town engineer, few hours later men arrived connnected a hose to next door and filled my attick tank. Within three days they arrived dug up my driveway and lowered the water mains pipes!

Problem solved.. and I only had to make tea a few times for the lads! :)

The hot water tank should never run dry since it depends on cold water from the tank to force the water in the hot tank out. No cold water from tank the water already in it will stay in it. I wouldn't use immersion though :) Hope you get it sorted but as long as you have mains water you are at least luckier that some!! :)

ya my immersion is off anyway during winter as I use c-heating to heat hot cylinder. waiting on my hose to defrost internally so I can get water up to the tank.

I just realised my cold water fed mains shower in my ensuite is fed from the cold supply after where the blockage is so no showers now either...:D

X

What a great idea, will ask my neighbours if they would mind. Sounds so simple but genious, like so many great ideas!

On met.ie this report shows the 10cm Soil temp. Can help give an idea of the temp around your pipe: http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

Thanks! Will keep an eye on that!

just got my attic tank filled to the brim using a long hose from my kitchen sink...

still got a bucket to fill the toilet cisterns for flushing that I fill from my kitchen tap to reduce the amount of water needed to fill them after every flush.

• Advertisement

just got my attic tank filled to the brim using a long hose from my kitchen sink...

still got a bucket to fill the toilet cisterns for flushing that I fill from my kitchen tap to reduce the amount of water needed to fill them after every flush.

You dont need to fill the cistern to flush toilet. Just throw the bucket directly into the toilet and it will flush itself. Just empty the bucket quickly.

Advertisement