Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping a fox away from my hens

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

"Superstition didn't kill 18 lambs in one week on a farm in Cashel, two vixens not rearing cubs did. How do I know? I shot them in the course of a week, and no more lambs were lost.

Superstition also didn't kill 22 of my fathers lambs from one field. 13 foxes were shot over 7 nights. No more lamb losses."

I cannot say that is impossible but what I can say for sure is that locals getting wind of the fact that you were out killing large numbers of foxes kept their pets well locked up from from that moment, if you can prove that foxes killed all those lambs than that is a different matter

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I dont understand while ewes lambing are not put in sheds and more supervision given .To me its bad husbandry to leave ewes out lambing.Well done Bogman i too feed foxes here

I have also known farm dogs kill lambs when they get the smell of blood when ewes are lambing.also that seems an awful ot of lambs for two vixens to take.befor you shoot me down i have in the past done sheep farming i never can understand why man cant live in harmony with wildlife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Morganna wrote: »
    I dont understand while ewes lambing are not put in sheds and more supervision given .To me its bad husbandry to leave ewes out lambing.Well done Bogman i too feed foxes here

It is not bad husbandry to rear an animal in a natural environment. I'm sure if I talked about sheep in shed's you'd be all for having them out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes to the killing frenzy and yes I have seen it..

And yes feed in this weather.

Any creature will do anything for food..

I used to feed a pine marten in winter; I knew she was pregnant and nursing young.

Once the need was over, she stopped coming for food.

And yes, protect with pens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

i never can understand why man cant live in harmony with wildlife

Or why wildlife cant live in harmony with mankind.
    Great white sharks, Grizzly bear's, snake's, spiders, crocs. Are all creatures more than happy to kill even jelly-fish. Hunter being hunted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I dont understand while ewes lambing are not put in sheds and more supervision given .To me its bad husbandry to leave ewes out lambing.

Animals who are out in the field before they give birth tend to have less problems and an easier birth than those who are locked in during the last while of pregnancy. When they're out, the mothers tend to be much fitter and healthier and so tend to have an easier birth. That's why most farmers will, if at all possible, leave the females out rather than locked up in a shed.

convert wrote: »
    Animals who are out in the field before they give birth tend to have less problems and an easier birth than those who are locked in during the last while of pregnancy. When they're out, the mothers tend to be much fitter and healthier and so tend to have an easier birth. That's why most farmers will, if at all possible, leave the females out rather than locked up in a shed.

Also, grass is the best feed for milk, milk being the best thing for thriving healthy lambs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

johngalway wrote: »
    You've been around another forum on this site for a time and have heard first hand accounts of foxes and lambs, so you should know better than trotting out such a statement.

It was on a forum on this site that I got that info from.

"Fox predation as a cause of lamb mortality on hill farms"

It states that up to 0.6% of lambs are confirmed killed by foxes over a 4 year period

My apogoes Johngalway, I got that wrong. Fair enough, I WAS wrong, 0.6% was the percentage of killings found in the survey, not 0.6% of foxes food was sheep meat. Without a doubt, foxes are a threat to domestic foul.
    It is utterly depressing to see your years work being systematically killed, ripped open, eaten and having the bodies left in the fields for you in the morning.

Do you see this on sheep farms? I worked on a sheep farm in Wicklow, there were foxes and sheep, but we never came across this.

lightening wrote: »
    It was on a forum on this site that I got that info from.

"Fox predation as a cause of lamb mortality on hill farms"

It states that up to 0.6% of lambs are confirmed killed by foxes over a 4 year period

My apogoes Johngalway, I got that wrong. Fair enough, I WAS wrong, 0.6% was the percentage of killings found in the survey, not 0.6% of foxes food was sheep meat. Without a doubt, foxes are a threat to domestic foul.

Do you see this on sheep farms? I worked on a sheep farm in Wicklow, there were foxes and sheep, but we never came across this.

On lamb mortality, I can't speak for the majority of farms, only those I know. The ones in the examples I provided above are run by good farmers. They have quality stock which is something that's not derived by poor management.

I run my own hill sheep farm. As I control the foxes in my area I rarely suffer fox predation, I think I lost one young lamb to a fox last Spring.

My Dad's farm had one particular field, I think four years ago. We had expected between barren ewes/couples that 38-40 lambs would come out of that field, from 32 ewes (remember these are Scottish hill sheep, not lowland animals). 16 lambs left that field that year. Why? Foxes. Why? Because other fields had minimal problems. Also, the first night we lamped that field, at the one time, there were 5 or 6 foxes in among the ewes, I forget exactly which number.

The other farm that lost 18 in a week is run by a lady farmer. She has real good stock, manages grass well, doses correctly etc, feeds when feed is needed. When I got word about that problem I went for a look on a Friday afternoon. Carnage is all I can say, legs, heads, skins all over the shop. Once both, non rearing, vixens were removed, there were no further lamb losses.

The man who lost the four lambs. I went with my friend to his place one particularly stormy night. We spotted the fox running, not sniffing, smelling or hunting as they normally are, but running across the flat bog and into the lambing field. He wasn't there to sight see. And again, once removed there were no more problems.

Part of the reason foxes are such good survivors is they are so adaptable. They'll go tot he shore and mooch for crabs, fish, birds, whatever they can get down there. They head up the land and get worms, rodents, blackberries etc. They'll also take the handy grub when they can, and lambs aren't the brightest crayons in the box when they're young. My friend has seen two foxes circle a ewe that had twins. One fox noses the rear end of the ewe, up get's the ewe and while she's busy the second fox is in to nick a lamb.

I didn't have an interest in shooting before my Dads flock was severely affected in the example above. I have already put my money where my mouth is in proving this is a genuine problem to sheep farmers, in the thousands up on thousands of Euro's I've spent on the proper firearms and accessories to ensure am immediate and humane end for problem foxes.

I gain nothing nor do I lose anything by telling you any of that.

:)

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    Yes i know that convert i have farmed all my life but still prefeable to have them lamb in clean big sheds with supervision as he smell of blood will and does attract all predators .also one is able to give more assistance to those confined als bad weather to be lambing out doors now the lambs woulf freeze as theu where being born and yes i have seen that happen on a badly run sheep farm

elius wrote: »
    Or why wildlife cant live in harmony with mankind.
    Great white sharks, Grizzly bear's, snake's, spiders, crocs. Are all creatures more than happy to kill even jelly-fish. Hunter being hunted:D
    Oh dear youn have taken me up wrong as we dont have any of the above mentioned animals here grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

On lamb mortality, I can't speak for the majority of farms

Well, they are the stats, 0.6% of lambs are confirmed killed by foxes allegedly.
    I run my own hill sheep farm.

I love lamb. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok so now that we've dicussed lamb and animal mortality can we please keep on topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

bogman wrote: »
    Is that hearsay or have you seen it happen?

Have seen it happen bogman, sadly. I don't know which was worse, having the fox wipe out penned feathered friends of ours or listening to my OH banging on about it for months....

Wife: "would you like an egg for breakfast?"

Me: "thay would be lovely...."

Wife: "well, {shouting} we've none since the hens got killed!" etc. etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Discodog wrote: »
    Its so sad that a "politician" like Healey Rae apparently said that they would "take babies from mother's arms" - I believe that he now denies this.

In Scotland, on the Isle of Mull, the Eagles are the number one tourist attraction & the fishermen love them. There is a wonderful documentary & part of it shows a fishing boat coming home. The crew are getting the "Eagle Food" ready & suddenly two birds, described by the skipper as two flying barn doors, swoop down to catch lumps of fish thrown by the crew.

I was involved with the Red Kite release in the UK & we had the same problems. One farmer phoned to say that they kites were in his field & after his lambs. We got there & filmed them feeding .....on earthworms !.

would have thought jackie healy rae was more informed, that was total hype,

Do foxes attack cats, just want to know,as someone told me so, i had not heard that before

baubl wrote: »
    Do foxes attack cats

I wouldn't say it's typical of them to do so, as I know of and hunt in many areas that contain plenty of both animals. But, I have heard many accounts of it happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

I wouldn't say it's typical of them to do so, as I know of and hunt in many areas that contain plenty of both animals. But, I have heard many accounts of it happening.

I have 2 cats outside, there is a fox visiting my garden every night lately, he raid what is left by the birds as I am feeding them everything i can, no food in the bin all given to birds potato skins and all, the fox clean up what is let there after dark, he also clean the cats plates, so was wondering if the cats re in danger

I can't give you an answer either way for sure. As I say, I know of many areas where there are cats and foxes out at the same time, the majority come to no harm. If it was me I wouldn't worry too much about it, cat is an able enough hunter itself so has decent senses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If the cat is healthy he/she will be fine. A fox will go after a cat if its very young/old or injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Vegeta wrote: »
    Human urine is a good deterrent. Peeing around the pen might make them a bit wary.

It wont stop them on its own mind

I have always found this to be a good deterrent, I've always used this method (its handier than going into the house and taking your boots off.) And touch wood I haven't had any trouble with foxes so far.

I had 4 Khaki Campbell ducklings hatch at the weekend so I'm going to be on extra vigilent urinating duties for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have seen it happen bogman, sadly. I don't know which was worse, having the fox wipe out penned feathered friends of ours or listening to my OH banging on about it for months....

Wife: "would you like an egg for breakfast?"

Me: "thay would be lovely...."

Wife: "well, {shouting} we've none since the hens got killed!" etc. etc. etc.

My father was at the receiving end of that on a couple occasions, us kids kept well clear

Advertisement